Gibson Brands Forums

HELLO

Wild Bill 212

Hello, I've not been the best at introducing myself, BUT...here goes...I've been playing guitars since I was 9 or 10 yrs. old but never took a single lesson.I sure do wish there were things that somone could have told me that took years to figure out, but are very very simple. I had one main guitar for years, MY BUDDY 'ANGUS': A 1979 SG STANDARD that I just sold, along with a few POS that I did not care much for. My #2 was a 1994 NIGHTHAWK STANDARD ST 3 Pickup model I got in 2004 that was almost new when I got it and it took a horrendous beating as I dragged it around the planet for near 15 years. I played it till the frets were so dented it was unplayable.Then, I was offered $250 for it by a Major Retailer and at that point I would have rather smashed it to pieces than let them have it for $250, SO I DID A COMPLETE 22 FRET RE-FRET/NUT JOB ON IT MYSELF. From what I had learned from an Old Pro Luthier over the course of about 5 years from '78-'83 I was able to get the entire fingerboard refretted and a new NUT on it and set up to GIBSON Specs. and the Guitar is once again 100% playable. However I could not do the binding on it as that is just a little past my talent level. Personally, in my defense, I do not know anyone that could put a binding a guitar neck.

In the last year and a half I purchased 4 new GIBSON's, the first 2 were 2016 Faded models that I got tremendously discounted deals on. One 'SG' Special and another Les Paul Studio, both 'FADED' models and damn good playing guitars. The 'SG' is a personal favorite. Just something about that li'l axe, I LOVE IT, I tricked it out w/Chrome P-UP covers,Bigsby B-3 and then, in early 2017, a Pro Musician friend of mine, my Best Friend actually, asked me when I was going to stop ****in' around and just get an 'SG" STANDARD? So I did....a 'BLACK-BEAUTY' back in February 2017 and then, I figured WELL, I've just got to go and get the guitar I waited since 1982 to get, A GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD ! SO, OH YES, I FINALLY GOT ONE about two weeks ago. THE WAIT IS OVER, a Dream come true and it is MINE MINE MINE !!!!....and so my bucket list has been severely shortened and I am just hoping to hang around long enough to play some fierce years into the necks of these two new STANDARDS of mine before I pass them along to my next.......

As for my nickname, I did not name myself that and from what People tell me, I earned it. IDK If I see it that way, BUT I did make up my mind when I was about 18 :That I was never, ever, going to be boring.

I'm Glad to be here (glad to be anywhere really) and its good to see you all.

Welcome to the forum Wild Bill. My nick name is Butch and my best friend is Sundance. He's a 100 pound Doberman Pinscher. I have 2 les Paul Standards also and enjoy them both. They do have a unwritten rule here, pictures or it didn't happen lol. msp_flapper.gif

Welcome to the forum Wild Bill. My nick name is Butch and my best friend is Sundance. He's a 100 pound Doberman Pinscher. I have 2 les Paul Standards also and enjoy them both. They do have a unwritten rule here, pictures or it didn't happen lol. msp_flapper.gif

Thanks for the welcome BUTCH,I was hoping someone would say WELCOME !

I have tried to post some pics, quite a few actually....and the site tells me the 'Files are over-looked because they are too big'...I've tried different camera's etc and PC's/MAC's/I-Pad/I-Phone6 and the same message pops up every time. TOO BAD, I've got a decent arsenal......

As far as anything I stated NOT happening? Most of the things that have happened to me I could not make up in a 100 years....and,REALLY, I would not waste my time doing it here. I'd simply write a Movie/Screen-Play AGAIN. I love Doberman's they are such COOL dogs, almost as much as German Shepherd's. My German Shepherd's name is ,WHAT ELSE ? 'GIBSON'...Wifey named him after I did not want to name him 'MAX' like everyone else I know that has one and was havin a hard time of thinkin of a name (IT IS A PERFECT NAME FOR THAT DOG !)."GIBSON OLE-BOY"... I WISH I could post some pics, I do.

Hello Butch, this should clear up any doubts as to whether or not something has taken place, it took quite an effort to get this picture compressed and finally uploaded.I hope it is clear enough.I was only able to post one picture.post-79114-030491800 1498918017_thumb.jpg

1498918138[/url]' post='1865563']

Hello Butch, this should clear up any doubts as to whether or not something has taken place, it took quite an effort to get this picture compressed and finally uploaded.I hope it is clear enough.I was only able to post one picture.post-79114-030491800 1498918017_thumb.jpg

Sorry I was gone for a couple of days, just busy. Yes, they won't take large pictures here. This might help. Most folks here use Photo Bucket. It's free and you can download your pics there. Then, select a photo and click on it. After popping up, there will be a box. Share this photo next to it. Click the lowermost button or the IMG and the link will be copied. Then on the Gibson Board where you post, Paste this content into your post. When you click reply, the photo should show up in your post. Hope that helps. Love the flame burst what I can see.

Sorry I was gone for a couple of days, just busy. Yes, they won't take large pictures here. This might help. Most folks here use Photo Bucket. It's free and you can download your pics there. Then, select a photo and click on it. After popping up, there will be a box. Share this photo next to it. Click the lowermost button or the IMG and the link will be copied. Then on the Gibson Board where you post, Paste this content into your post. When you click reply, the photo should show up in your post. Hope that helps. Love the flame burst what I can see.

Hi Butch,TNX... That sounds like a good idea, I was able to post that pic using a JPEG COMPRESSOR/OPTIMIZER. Anyway, the gutiar PICTURED being Re-Fretted is my '94 NIGHTHAWK.The GIBSON with a FENDER neck...it escapes me what type of 'BURST' GIBSON used to call it but its not too common, 'BURGUNDY-BURST' or something ? IDK, but it was a not as easy as I thought it would be doing all 22 Frets, but its not that difficult either.... just had to take my time. Getting the Neck straight as POSSIBLE prior to Installing/Levelling Frets was key. I almost did a 'TOWNSEND ACT' on it and then decided I might as well give it a shot......and it worked out, was playing it today. Its a great playing guitar, kinda sounds like an 'SG' w/Neck P-UP.

CHEERS !

Archived