Gibson Brands Forums

Can feel the seam (Gibson HP 415 W)

Barth1234

Hi all,

I recently bought my first Gibson HP 415 W. I'm overall really happy with it.

I only have two questions:

- I can "feel" the seam of the top a little bit at the bottom end (I've added a picture, the seam runs at where I point my finger, but there's nothing to see). I read on the internet that you should not be able to feel the seam...?;

- Never had an electric/acoustic before. Under the saddle there is an silver "foil" which is the piezo material? It loose on one end and gets pushed into place by the saddle. Is this correct?

https://ibb.co/bBqzdQ

Thanks for helping me out!

Kind regards!

Bart

Hi all,

I recently bought my first Gibson HP 415 W. I'm overall really happy with it.

I only have two questions:

- I can "feel" the seam of the top a little bit at the bottom end (I've added a picture, the seam runs at where I point my finger, but there's nothing to see). I read on the internet that you should not be able to feel the seam...?;

- Never had an electric/acoustic before. Under the saddle there is an silver "foil" which is the piezo material? It loose on one end and gets pushed into place by the saddle. Is this correct?

https://ibb.co/bBqzdQ

Thanks for helping me out!

Kind regards!

Bart

If you can't see the unevenness in the seam, and only feel it a little, I would not worry. Nitrocellulose takes awhile to completely harden, Wood, at the cut ends absorbs liquids at a different rate than the flat sides do. Of course, it would be reasonable to expect the final processing and QC should have caused it to to be re-sanded, but in reality on many guitars, you can see and or feel the grain on the tops. Spruce is different than the hardwoods used on the backs and sides. I would be concerned if you could see AND feel an uneven match on the other side, inside the body where there is no nitro finish.

As far as the Under Saddle Transducer - it is not 'glued' or otherwise attached - they are just laid in there carefully with a wire on one end going down through a small hole into the body. So, the 'bitter end' is looser. Just be careful Not To Bend or Wrinkle It ! G'Luck.

My suggestion...focus on playing the guitar, learning new songs, practicing, practicing,practicing, getting the guitar sounds that are in you into the guitar, rather than on some micro granular seam that can not impact any of the aforementioned and isn't worth your attention. Nothing is ever perfect except in its perfection that it is not perfect. 😄

Nice guitar! Enjoy!

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff (a guitarist for 55 years)

Archived