Gibson Brands Forums

Need a bridge for my '95 Riviera

luke21

I bought my riviera online around a year ago and I love it, but I know it needs some work done to it. I've mainly been reluctant to get any work done because I don't know of a good luthier, or any luthier for that matter, in my area. But I'm deciding that today's the day I finally get going on it, because I know this guitar has a lot of potential and I want to get it playing the best it can. The first thing on my list is a new bridge. My biggest complaint about the guitar currently is that unplugged it sounds unusually thin. It lacks sustain compared to other guitars I've played and the strings, specifically the G B and high E, seem to rattle ever so slightly when played. I'm almost certain the problem is the bridge. I've included three pictures below, one of the guitar, one of the bridge, and one of the nut(I don't think the nut is the main problem, but it's very worn and needs replacing so I could be wrong). As you can see, the bridge is oxidized quite a bit. I thought about cleaning it up with some sort of solution, but the saddles and screws look so rough that I don't think it's worth saving. The seller didn't tell me much about the hardware when I bought it but I'm pretty sure it's the original bridge. I thought about just ordering a new Gibson Nashville Tune-o-matic, but I've heard an ABR-1 might be the better way to go. I've also heard great things about Tonepros, Graphtech, and numerous other bridges. I guess my problem is that there's an overwhelming amount of options and I have no idea which direction to go. Which bridges do you guys prefer? Would any be best for a 335 style guitar? Which ones will require any modifications to the guitar? I'd love to hear any information you've got, Thanks![thumbup]

post-82897-075437800 1498428921_thumb.jpg

post-82897-031435200 1498428928_thumb.jpg

post-82897-040921900 1498428937_thumb.jpg

Your links aren't working

I can't tell if your bridge posts are large or small,

and sometimes the Riviera has a Gibson style bridge with small posts

Here is a link for a basic Epiphone style bridge with large posts.

I bought one of the roller bridges here for a Wildkat and it was a direct fit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Guitar-Tune-O-Matic-bridge-BM003-For-LP-SG-Guitar-Replace-CR59-/172009476608?hash=item280c905200:g:jKwAAOSwZVhWRovp

took about 5 days to arrive.

You can always look for something better, however the part was of good quality for the price.

Your links aren't working

I can't tell if your bridge posts are large or small,

and sometimes the Riviera has a Gibson style bridge with small posts

Here is a link for a basic Epiphone style bridge with large posts.

I bought one of the roller bridges here for a Wildkat and it was a direct fit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Guitar-Tune-O-Matic-bridge-BM003-For-LP-SG-Guitar-Replace-CR59-/172009476608?hash=item280c905200:g:jKwAAOSwZVhWRovp

took about 5 days to arrive.

You can always look for something better, however the part was of good quality for the price.

I tossed the links and attached the images instead, thanks for letting me know. I'm not sure if the posts are the large or small style, the two screws are 1/8 inch if that helps. I've noticed that there are no bushings in the body, the posts just screw straight into the body. This could be normal for semi-hollows, but I know most guitars have bushings so I'm not sure.

I'll consider the roller bridge for sure. I like the low price and I'm sure it'd do the trick. I'll hold off for now and see if anyone else has something to say. Thanks! [thumbup]

I tossed the links and attached the images instead, thanks for letting me know. I'm not sure if the posts are the large or small style, the two screws are 1/8 inch if that helps. I've noticed that there are no bushings in the body, the posts just screw straight into the body. This could be normal for semi-hollows, but I know most guitars have bushings so I'm not sure.

I'll consider the roller bridge for sure. I like the low price and I'm sure it'd do the trick. I'll hold off for now and see if anyone else has something to say. Thanks! [thumbup]

OK, here is one like yours

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Economy-ABR-Type-Tunematic-Guitar-Bridge-for-Gibson-Epiphone-GB-2503-010-/322556490808?epid=1807963527&hash=item4b19dd7438:g:C2UAAOSw9mFWHENQ

This one has a US shipment

A better option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotoh-Ti104B-TITANIUM-Tune-O-Matic-Bridge-Tunematic-ABR-1-Gibson-Style-CHROME/122428992834?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44730%26meid%3Ddd7cf521536d4e27ac8157088ecb9389%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D322556490808

Thanks for the help, I was confused when I saw that there weren't any bushings in the body, but now I realize that's just part of what sets the ABR style bridges from the Nashvilles. I've heard a lot of great things about the Gotoh's, I think I may end up going that direction. Thanks again!

Archived