Gibson Brands Forums

If you had £1000/$1300 to spend...

Jinder

A friend of mine is after a great acoustic and has £1000ish to spend.

I've suggested she either spend a bit more and buy a J15 or spend a bit less and buy an Epi IB'64 Texan (I have one and love it).

What would you buy? Old, new, big, small...she's a tall girl who can handle my SJ200 but doesn't dwarf my EL-00, so anything is possible.

New player? Can't go wrong with the IB64. Epiphone also makes some great models in the lower range - the AJ-220S is a great $200 guitar. Laminate B/S, but pretty good quality woods for a $200 guitar. You can set it up nice and low too.

You could probably pick up a J-15 for $1300 new. Used probably closer to $900 or $1000.

The Martin GPC models are also very nice, one of those may be my next...just need to try a few more to see which I like best. Many of those are right around $1300 new, less used.

New player? Can't go wrong with the IB64. Epiphone also makes some great models in the lower range - the AJ-220S is a great $200 guitar. Laminate B/S, but pretty good quality woods for a $200 guitar. You can set it up nice and low too.

You could probably pick up a J-15 for $1300 new. Used probably closer to $900 or $1000.

The Martin GPC models are also very nice, one of those may be my next...just need to try a few more to see which I like best. Many of those are right around $1300 new, less used.

Thanks MZ-S!

She's not a new player as such, has been playing for 8yrs or so, started with a Yamaha F310 and is now playing a Tanglewood parlour. Great picker who is ready to step into the big league guitar wise ☺️

If you're just looking for a Gibson and are on a budget the IB Texan is a great choice and budget in a good setup, possibly a fret level, crown and polish by a reputable tech and you have a wonderful guitar. As it's already been mentioned, you can get a J15 new for that much usually, and used for even less. Save up maybe $150-$200 more and you're in used J45 Standard territory. Your budget also allows a used J35, but I'd play one first. I find the J35's very bright and not the best combo with a short scale neck and mahogany back and sides, but sounds great in an Advanced Jumbo with the longer scale neck and rosewood back and sides. If you're looking for an all-solid wood Martin and want something a little warmer sounding the Martin D-15M and 000-15M are wonderful little guitars, and again, go for something used to get the most from your money.

Either way whatever you end up with, also budget in at least a basic set up. Even a new guitar will need some attention since they usually have high action and high nut slots.

If you're just looking for a Gibson and are on a budget the IB Texan is a great choice and budget in a good setup, possibly a fret level, crown and polish by a reputable tech and you have a wonderful guitar. As it's already been mentioned, you can get a J15 new for that much usually, and used for even less. Save up maybe $150-$200 more and you're in used J45 Standard territory. Your budget also allows a used J35, but I'd play one first. I find the J35's very bright and not the best combo with a short scale neck and mahogany back and sides, but sounds great in an Advanced Jumbo with the longer scale neck and rosewood back and sides. If you're looking for an all-solid wood Martin and want something a little warmer sounding the Martin D-15M and 000-15M are wonderful little guitars, and again, go for something used to get the most from your money.

Either way whatever you end up with, also budget in at least a basic set up. Even a new guitar will need some attention since they usually have high action and high nut slots.

I've been suggesting the IB '64 Texan, I adore mine and would rank it close to any of my Gibsons. I can do a setup on anything that she ends up with so no worries there. My Texan is beautiful and I often take it out in favour of my high end guits. The pickup isn't perfect but I'm going to whack a Matrix Infinity in there at some point.

I don't know what the prices are like over there but I'd look around for a used Martin D-18.

Another excellent choice, but may be just slightly above the Op's budget, but if I ever wanted to own a Martin again I'd probably go for a D-18.

Such a lot of good stuff out there.....[thumbup]

Pickups and set up make a difference to live sound....as well as ergonomics.....

Lots of satisfied Epi players on the circuit.....[thumbup]

Other superb options from Takamine, Breedlove, Guild, Ovation, Yamaha, Taylor.....

V

:-({|=

I've been suggesting the IB '64 Texan....

I've got a nice IB64 cherryburst for sale. $300 plus shipping. With hsc. Let me know if you want more details....

Oh wait - you're in the UK! Nevermind.... msp_crying.gif

txx779.jpg

J15 and Epiphone Texan are great instruments. I would choose the J15. But your friend may choose the Texan. I think the Texan has a longer scale.Both guitars have good pickups. The sound is different, of course.I would choose the walnut back&sides. They are solid wood and for my ears the sound of a J15 is more Gibson authentic. Great woody sound.On the other hand the Texan is cheeper, eery well tested in past decades, easy to play, very well produced last 2-3 years in the indonesian Epiphone fabric.I am curious what will be the choise of your friend?

J15 and Epiphone Texan are great instruments. I would choose the J15. But your friend may choose the Texan. I think the Texan has a longer scale.Both guitars have good pickups. The sound is different, of course.I would choose the walnut back&sides. They are solid wood and for my ears the sound of a J15 is more Gibson authentic. Great woody sound.On the other hand the Texan is cheeper, eery well tested in past decades, easy to play, very well produced last 2-3 years in the indonesian Epiphone fabric.I am curious what will be the choise of your friend?

Thanks Krasi! I have the Texan and love it, and I also had a J15 and loved it...I'm a big guy with big hands so long scale necks suit me best, but I ended up trading my J15 for my '41 Reissue SJ100 and I don't have any regrets as the '41 is a brilliant gigging workhorse (I'm playing a gig with it this evening, currently taking a break between sets!) but I'd love to own another J15 one day.

My buddy is undecided at the min and currently has her eye on a '70s Guild F20...

It amazes me every time how people choose guitars and how a good choice for some one is almost a bad choice for another.

I was thinking (after I wrote the above) that I would choose the J15 in the end. It IS a Gibson after all !

As to the Guild F20 - I have never played one, but I have a Guild D55 and a Guild F412 and both are amazing guitars.

By the way I just red all your "Dove Story" and yeah! This is a very good one!

I'd love to have a Dove too msp_thumbup.gif

And some other thing - I am really sorry that "The Marcurymen" does not exist anymore... I often listen to the whole album "Postcards from Valonia". Amazing album! An acoustic masterpiece!

I stand by my earlier J-15 suggestion, HOWEVER, if I had the cash and were buying for myself, in that price range, I'd be looking for a 70's Guild G-37. Built to last with 'boom and chime' to spare....

Eventually.

Some day.

I'm going to thin the electrics hanging on the wall and pick up another acoustic and upgrade my p.a. gear.

I've been considering a nice Epiphone because my daughters EJ200ce is so darn nice for the money.

Then I always fall back on "just a few dollars more....."

Archived