Gibson Brands Forums

Does anybody run software from their computer through an amp?

Adam M

I mainly use my macbook when playing due to lack of space and convenience but prefer using an amp.

I was experimenting with my limited equipment last night and ran a cable out from my macbook to the input on the amp and it sounded pretty good on the clean channel. I could get a load of different tones.

The only downside is there is some noise interference, I think it's from either the macbook charger or from my pedal board power supply.

Will moving them further apart fix this? or are there better ways of doing the above?

• 1 month later...

I mainly use my macbook when playing due to lack of space and convenience but prefer using an amp.

I was experimenting with my limited equipment last night and ran a cable out from my macbook to the input on the amp and it sounded pretty good on the clean channel. I could get a load of different tones.

The only downside is there is some noise interference, I think it's from either the macbook charger or from my pedal board power supply.

Will moving them further apart fix this? or are there better ways of doing the above?

You're using the mac earphone output, aren't you?

Balanced output (mac) vs Unbalanced Input (amp)!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
I was experimenting with my limited equipment last night and ran a cable out from my macbook to the input on the amp and it sounded pretty good on the clean channel....

I think what you really want is an audio interface - a Scarlett or something. Insert it between the amp and the computer, or just the between the guitar and the computer (it's got a pre-amp). Then running garageband or cubase elements or some other, and you've got a multitrack recording studio in your house! For less than a couple hundred bucks! Remember when studio time used to be massively expensive?

• 4 weeks later...

An interface like the focusrite scarlett would have both a headphone output and most likely RCA output jacks for some powered monitors. This interface is 2 inputs, (mic and guitar, commonly), but each will be sent to right and left in the headphones, but they will only record mono, one to the right one to the left. For me this is not a problem i just bounce the recorded mono track to a stereo track with my daw. Or experiment with a different guitar part in each ear. Either way the monitor output would be the way to go. If you have a DI output on your amp like a marshall you can use the amp speaker and the scarlett output or just one or the other. Do like cougar said to hook it up...

Try using different outlet plugs, preferably a different circuit, for the macbook charger than your pedal board power supply, and/or amp, just in case you have everything in one power strip or something... Keep cell phones away heehee i learned that the hard way.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived