Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard Electrical Components

Little Jerry

I have a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus model guitar. Sound no longer is being transmitted by the guitar through an amplifier, so I am thinking that either the output jack or some wiring/soldering has gone bad. Yes, I checked to make sure it was not a cable problem.

I am not very tech savvy, so I am going to bring the guitar to a luthier. My question for you all is do you think it would be worth it to buy an electronics kit for a Les Paul with quality components (CTS pots, Orange caps, Switchcraft jack and switch, premium wiring) and have the luthier replace all of the electronics?

My thought is that I have replaced the electronics in a few other guitars (Epiphone, Squiere and Fender) and have seen noticeable improvement in tone of the guitar and taper of the pots. I also know the luthier would stand behind his work and take care of any issues going forward. What I don’t know is how Gibson parts stack up against the replacement parts, so I’m not sure if I get the tonal and functional improvements I saw with the other guitars.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for your trouble, LJ. :unsure:

Given that no signal is put out with all controls open and pickup selector position, there has to be something faulty at the toggle switch, wiring from toggle switch to the circuit board, circuit board, cable connectors to the output jack, or the jack itself. It should be easily detectable with an ohmmeter. It could also be a transition resistance at some connector, usually an easy fix.

I would repair/have repaired just the actual flaw. The components used for the PCB should be fine, with the possible exception of the clip for the string ground wire, a green housing with an orange push-button. However, this one has no effect on the output signal path.

Thanks for the responses. This guitar is a keeper, so I do not intend to retire the guitar and I do plan on taking it to a qualified tech to do the work.

I was just asking that if a part, such as the three-way switch or the output jack needs to be replaced, does it make sense to replace all of the electronics (excluding pickups)? I’ve had good results changing the electrical components on a few other guitars, but none of which I thought of as being the same quality as a Gibson Les Paul Standard. If the new parts are considered upgrades, then it may be worth the incremental cost, especially since the tech is going to have it on his bench anyway.

Archived