Gibson Brands Forums

Pick three from the herd...the ones you'd save in a crisis

Jinder

I was playing my IB '64 Texan this morning and marvelling at what a great guitar it is, not just "for the money" but in general. I can't ever imagine getting rid of it, and would have been happy with it if it had cost four figures rather than the £200 i paid for it.

It got me thinking, in a house fire/crisis/desert island scenario, I think the Texan would get the nod over some of my more expensive guitars.

My question is, which three would you rescue from your herd in such times?

I'd definitely save my SJ200 and the Texan, but would be very torn between my '67 J45, my Dove and my SJ100. I'd probably grab the Dove because of the backstory and how long I waited for it.

I remember threads like this here, back when I only had my LG1 and could answer the 'Fire/Desert Island" question easily. I got my SJ200 based on a comment made by a member here "If I could only have one, when I retire, to play on my back porch." My J45Ck was a direct recommendation of another member. My H'Bird TV - I pounced on when the stars aligned, based on the many favorable reviews here of that model. I often think, in passing, "Which is my favorite?" Every day, it's answered when I make the mini-decision on which one to grab off the wall, and every day it's a different one. Sophie's Choice.

The only three I own. [laugh] though being lazy I'd probably just grab the closest one.

Then again, should I ever refer to my guitars as a 'herd' (or arsenal, quiver etc) may I be knee'd repeatedly in the nuts by a tattoo'd man named Bubba as penance.

I love my J50. I let her go once. I won't make that mistake again. I'd also take my 2010 Martin D15. It has my family's names inlaid on the high fret board, and it is an amazing guitar. I gig with it sometimes, but mostly I record at home with it.

The others? They can ebb and flow. They are each great guitars, mind you.

I do hope a custom D18 I will get in October will also prove to be in the same camp as the J50. I suspect it will.

This is the stuff of nightmares - and, for me - I mean that literally as I've had a few about the issue. Time and various circumstances have pruned the herd of duplicates, examples that didn't blend as well with my eternal quest to be a satisfied individual, and some that I knew would move quickly and fetch high $ no matter the pain of loss. Each of the guitars I've chosen/managed to retain has a 'back story' that relates to a significant interval in my life. This might, hopefully, sound at least a bit familiar to some forum members - lest I find that the old psyche is even worse off than I believe it to be. Hence, the dilemma😖

The first priority in the event of tragedy or disaster would be my wife and animals.

After that, I might simply 'go down with the ship'.

Desert island scenario? Not gonna happen - deep water and excessive heights have come to be issues in my late-life list of phobias😒

The guitar I'd choose to accompany me, if limited to one, to - as Stephen King puts it - the clearing at the end of the path - remains uncertain, though the '55 J-45 is a strong contender.

It would have to be the ones that can't be replaced :

The re-necked and re-topped/braced 1966 Country Western

The homedrawn 2010 rio-rose 12-fret

and either

my old squire the 1984 Mart. D-35 or the modified, but unique 1953 J-45

I'm sure that no matter what I told you guys here and now, should this ever happen... once the family was out, I'd most likely perish trying to figure out which ones i'd sacrifice.. then, at the last second, I'd try and take all 20 of them.

They'd never find my remains... sad but I think too true..

That'd be me, kidblast!

But since we are doing some scenario planning, I have now decided on my Legend 1942 J-45, Fuller's Vintage 1939 J-35, and Rosewood Stage Deluxe.

But now that i think more on it, I really like the muscularity of my humble J-160e Standard. And my J-45 True Vintage plays so smooth. And my Epiphone McCartney Texan holds great sentimental value.

Sigh...

Red 333

Back in the day when I used to work in museums we were supposed to isolate particular objects we wanted saved above all others should a disaster hit. I did not really want to have to make that decision back then. It is still not a pleasant thought. But assuming the wife, kids and dogs were not an issue, the guitar I would grab would be my Banner J-50 as to me this particular instrument has a sound that I would never be able to replace no matter how much cash I had on hand. As for the other two they would be my 1933 Kay Kraft Oahu "Nick Lucas" and late 1930s Regal 12 string jumbo assuming my wife grabbed her 1960 J-200 on her way out the window.

That'd be me, kidblast!

But since we are doing some scenario planning, I have now decided on my Legend 1942 J-45, Fuller's Vintage 1939 J-35, and Rosewood Stage Deluxe.

But now that i think more on it, I really like the muscularity of my humble J-160e Standard. And my J-45 True Vintage plays so smooth. And my Epiphone McCartney Texan holds great sentimental value.

Sigh...

Red 333

I'm thinkin... Maybe a whole lotta fire extinguishers are something to have handy..

This thread... it reminds me..

about (gee was it really) 20 years ago.. we had a big shepherd/husky mix [sweetest dog..] and we had a water bed.. "Taz" decided one afternoon to leap up onto the bed, and in doing so, somehow poked a hole in the mattress..

need less to say, what followed was one of the most epic home disasters in my life. Bedroom was on the second floor.. have you ever seen it rain in your living room? well I did... you don't want this to happen.. ever....

When the insurance adjuster arrived the next day, he noticed about 6 or 7 guitar cases lined up on the floor in the opened area that was next to the bedroom. He looks at those, looks at me, looks back at the cases and says "Ok,, what is the situation with those...." Thankfully they did not get any where near the flood.

There's close to 100 here but I have no problem stating "The Three":

1964 Southern Jumbo, bought from Elderly in 1984 for $350. No other guitar fits me better.

1977 Telecaster, received as a high school graduation present in 1978.

1981 Martin M-38, which my father bought new and gave to me in 1994.

I love my J50. I let her go once. I won't make that mistake again. I'd also take my 2010 Martin D15. It has my family's names inlaid on the high fret board, and it is an amazing guitar. I gig with it sometimes, but mostly I record at home with it.

The others? They can ebb and flow. They are each great guitars, mind you.

I do hope a custom D18 I will get in October will also prove to be in the same camp as the J50. I suspect it will.

I played a D18 a couple of weeks ago at my local guitar shop and i have to say it haunts my dreams! lol Definitely lusting for one of those babies eventually!

Good, funny answers, and KidB answered for me and a bunch of us. I'm not adding to my collection, lucky enough to have jockeyed myself into owning five good ones that fit me well. I've grown 'hand tired' in my older years so I've been rehearsing the discussion about the ones I may sell down the line just to have players that don't frustrate me. With two hands free and my foot kicking the door open to let Vito (choc Lab) out, I'd logically have to grab the L00 and the 00018. Then I'm screwed. I burn to death trying to choose between the L0 12 fretter and the electric '61 Guild M65.

There's close to 100 here but I have no problem stating "The Three":

1964 Southern Jumbo, bought from Elderly in 1984 for $350. No other guitar fits me better.

1977 Telecaster, received as a high school graduation present in 1978.

1981 Martin M-38, which my father bought new and gave to me in 1994.

That's an impressive trio!

That's an easy one for me. First out the door would be:

1948-'50 J-45, owned since 1966

L-OO Legend

1943 SJ re-issue

But I'd probably run back in to try to save some others, especially the Nashville Custom, Art, and Historic shop '59 ES-335.

That's an easy one for me. First out the door would be:

1948-'50 J-45, owned since 1966

L-OO Legend

1943 SJ re-issue

But I'd probably run back in to try to save some others, especially the Nashville Custom, Art, and Historic shop '59 ES-335.

Yeah, from the sound of this, I'll see ya on 'the other side'😄😂😅

Archived