Gibson Brands Forums

Finish on 1960 j-45

kimnjerry

Greetings.

I have an original 1960 J-45 and recently purchased an electronic tuner which advises not to use the tuner with "Nitrocellulose lacquer, Polyurethane, French Polish, Oil Finish or Gibson guitars which have nitrocellulose finishes, unless you accept the risk of dents to the headstock."

Does my guitar have any of the above-mentioned? If not, out of curiosity, what finish does it have?

Finally, I assume that any purist would advise me to not use any tuner on the headstock of such a fine guitar.

Doubtful that you would see any damage on lacquer that has cured for 57 years. But on a newer guitar. . . forget about the little, inconspicuous D'Addario mini tuner for a week (or two), and you might end up with something like these "D" shaped marks on this 2016 Hummingbird Vintage:

l7n4qE5.jpg

Welcome to the forum- feel free to show us a little more of that old J-45.

Wait a second. Dents??? Which tuner do you have?

The D'Addario in 62burst's picture is definitely capable of creating dents. It has a ratchet type adjustment that clicks as you squeeze.. It just keeps getting tighter and stays in the same position unless you release it.

Aside from that, I have a Peterson stroboclip that I really like and it has never been a problem with my guitars. But I always remove it after tuning.

Greetings.

I have an original 1960 J-45 and recently purchased an electronic tuner which advises not to use the tuner with "Nitrocellulose lacquer, Polyurethane, French Polish, Oil Finish or Gibson guitars which have nitrocellulose finishes, unless you accept the risk of dents to the headstock."

Does my guitar have any of the above-mentioned? If not, out of curiosity, what finish does it have?

Finally, I assume that any purist would advise me to not use any tuner on the headstock of such a fine guitar.

Don't know that I count as a purist, exactly. More of a Luddite traditionalist, probably. Anyhow, my question/answer or whatever is simply why would anyone want a tuner affixed to their headstock in the first place?

I use them and then remove them and have never had a problem.

Here's a guitar I bought used and the previous owner left his clip tuner on all the time.

7A85E8F8-119D-4DF5-AA61-BDBB686E5309_zpsawhcn4pq.jpg

388B4197-B607-4E39-A147-D26437F42ACB_zpssvx9kthy.jpg

Archived