Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Covers

weldaar

An original OEM replacement pickup cover that fits over any neck position Gibson humbucker, has a measurement of 50 mm between the centers of the outside poles.

A bridge position Gibson humbucker, with a measurement of 52 mm between the centers of the outside poles.

There is another thread very nearby where a member wants to get a new Classic LP and put pick-up covers on it. There is an explanation of the sizes there and according to that post there is a difference between the "T" designate and "R" each of which is a different size.

The T has spacing of 52mm between High and Low E poles, whereas the R has only 49.2mm. So if that is correct your pal would need one of each for his guitar.

In any event since we seem to have slightly different opinions here I would suggest that he measure the spaces on each pickup and order covers that match those specifications.

There is another thread very nearby where a member wants to get a new Classic LP and put pick-up covers on it. There is an explanation of the sizes there and according to that post there is a difference between the "T" designate and "R" each of which is a different size.

The T has spacing of 52mm between High and Low E poles, whereas the R has only 49.2mm. So if that is correct your pal would need one of each for his guitar.

In any event since we seem to have slightly different opinions here I would suggest that he measure the spaces on each pickup and order covers that match those specifications.

Good advice, Thanx.

I'm thinking the difference between 49.2mm & 50mm on the neck position cover will still get the job done.

FROM GIBSON.COM store:

http://store.gibson.com/neck-humbucker-cover/

"An original OEM replacement or restoration pickup cover that fits perfectly over any neck position Gibson humbucker, with a measurement of 50 mm..."

http://store.gibson.com/bridge-humbucker-cover/

"An original OEM replacement or restoration pickup cover that fits perfectly over any bridge position Gibson humbucker, with a measurement of 52 mm..."

A friend is looking for covers for his 500T/496R pickups. He isn't sure of the spacing. Can someone tell me what the spacing is?And is it the same for both pups.

For the 496R it is 49.2mm - I have one covered stock (!) on a Gibson Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess.

CAUTION: The 500T has 52.0mm spacing, but three magnets, not just one. The field strength of two of them would be corrupted by soldering heat through mounting the cover the usual way. A forumite here used adhesive for mounting a cover. This, however, doesn't establish a ground connection. Possibly adding an extra ground cable and soldering it to the cover and the pickup's volume potentiometer could be useful I think.

For the 496R it is 49.2mm - I have one covered stock (!) on a Gibson Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess.

CAUTION: The 500T has 52.0mm spacing, but three magnets, not just one. The field strength of two of them would be corrupted by soldering heat through mounting the cover the usual way. A forumite here used adhesive for mounting a cover. This, however, doesn't establish a ground connection. Possibly adding an extra ground cable and soldering it to the cover and the pickup's volume potentiometer could be useful I think.

All good info cap, its easy to just think you need a R and T cover and thus the issues with purchasing the wrong covers. The info will save people time.

Archived