Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite instrument

daveinspain

Great post.....[thumbup]

Many folks hereon play banjo, ukulele and mandolin.....

And why not complete the orchestra which thrills the classical aficionados....

Viola, piccolo, cor anglais, bassoon etc

Triangle....:blink:

V

:-({|=

To my understanding this is not only about instruments I play myself. I went with piano (non-portable, polyphonic) and French horn (portable, monophonic).

Acoustic guitar and piano are king and queen of instruments for me. You can do pieces of music entirely on your own and sing along while playing. In contrary, all monophonic instruments call for an ensemble. To my feel the electric guitar without piezos does it, too, despite of being polyphonic, due to the serious limitations of magnetic pickups in string sound reproduction.

OK after careful consideration....my favourite instrument after the guitar is.....

The accordion.....[thumbup]

V

Good choice! The only portable polyphonic instrument besides those of the guitar family I guess.

In Germany a tongue-in-cheek name of the accordion is "Schifferklavier" meaning "sailor's piano" - not far from the truth though! [biggrin] Anyway, it is one of the most common instruments in the midlands, too, including the region I live in.

Voice. The only thing better than listening to good three part is participating in good, effortless, rehearsed three part harmony. Or 4 part. We had 5 for a couple years when our drummer and keys sang, that was awesome.

rct

after guitar it's definitely piano.

I have dabbled for years, but got serious about it in 2005, picked up a real nice Yamaha digital piano, and started taking lessons.

I went down hard too, I practiced a few hours a day and would go weeks with out practicing guitar.

For what it's worth, If any one cares to take a listen here's a recording I made a few years ago.

Drums. They were my first instrument. And I play them much better than I do the guitar.

I used to say I was a drummer. Then I said I was a drummer who played a little guitar.

Then I started saying I played the drums and guitar.

Now I sometimes say I play the guitar and drums.

I spend much more time nowadays playing my guitars then I do my drum sets.

Not because I necessarily like it more. I just need more practice on the guitar. :)

I suppose the steel guitar is still classified as guitar so I'll say the Sax. I can't play the sax but I love listening to a great sax player. Kenny G is one of my favorites.

Yes indeed.....sax is a worthy 'favourite' instrument....

Kenny G has probably sold more records than any sax player in history

Personal favourite players....

Paul Desmond

Wayne Shorter

Sidney Bechet

Stan Getz

Lester Young

V

Other than the stringed stuff I can play (guitar, bass, mandolin, banjo, ukulele) I really love the piano and the violin. I like jazz stuff like the trumpet and sax also, but I find the piano and violin to be very moving. I'd like to learn to play them sometime.

Archived