Gibson Brands Forums

New LP Classic

LarryUK

I've been thinking of having a new Gibson. But the Traditional has the fat neck now, So, the new Classic seems to be the best buy. Prices are good and it's a good basic guitar. My only thing is I want pickup covers on it. Are they a standard fit?

I know there are a lot of "Classic" models out there over the past few years. But right now the Gibson website is only showing one new 2017 LP Classic, and it does not have pickup covers. Three finishes, Cherry Burst, Ocean (Green)Burst, and a Goldtop. There is a "Classic HP" model that does have pickup covers, but that is sort of different animal.

I am sure there are quite a few from previous years in different configurations, and as I recall most did have pickup covers. I am thinking specifically of the "Classic Custom" models.

Anyway good luck on your hunt - that is a good part of the fun.

I've been thinking of having a new Gibson. But the Traditional has the fat neck now, So, the new Classic seems to be the best buy. Prices are good and it's a good basic guitar. My only thing is I want pickup covers on it. Are they a standard fit?

Hey Larry

With the 57s listed on the Gibson specs for the classic you'll need both covers to be T spaced to fit as the poles are both spaced the same rather than with piuck ups sets that ate R and T spaced like 490 series.

Hope that helps.

Johnny

Hey Larry

With the 57s listed on the Gibson specs for the classic you'll need both covers to be T spaced to fit as the poles are both spaced the same rather than with piuck ups sets that ate R and T spaced like 490 series.

Hope that helps.

Johnny

CAUTION! It is just the other way round!

Covers for '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus have to be R spaced, regardless of position!

There are 21 R-spaced and 6 T-spaced Gibson humbuckers here. Of the R-spaced ones 8 are '57 Classics, 5 are '57 Classic Pluses. The other R-spaced pickups are four different BurstBuckers, two 490Rs, one 496R, and one 1970's "tarback". So I think I know what I talk about.

Here's an overview, quoted from a post of mine from 20 June 2017:

All the Gibson humbuckers with an "R" suffix and all the PAF-style humbuckers, that is '57 Classics, '57 Classic Pluses, BurstBuckers 1; 2; 3, Pro Neck and Pro Bridge and '59 Tributes have the "R" or Rhythm spacing measuring 49.2mm between E1 and E6 pole centers. This is often called just neck spacing although it applies to lots of pickups used for middle and bridge position, too.

Dirty Fingers, Dirty Fingers Pluses which by the way usually have twelve adjustable pole pieces, and all the humbuckers with a "T" suffix have the "T" or Treble spacing of 52mm between E1 and E6 pole centers. It is pretty close to the "F" like "Fender" or "Floyd Rose" spacing.

quoted from: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/137817-gibsons-sizing-for-the-bridge-pickup-cover-is-wrong/page__view__findpost__p__1863306

CAUTION! It is just the other way round!

Covers for '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus have to be R spaced, regardless of position!

There are 21 R-spaced and 6 T-spaced Gibson humbuckers here. Of the R-spaced ones 8 are '57 Classics, 5 are '57 Classic Pluses. The other R-spaced pickups are four different BurstBuckers, two 490Rs, one 496R, and one 1970's "tarback". So I think I know what I talk about.

Here's an overview, quoted from a post of mine from 20 June 2017:

All the Gibson humbuckers with an "R" suffix and all the PAF-style humbuckers, that is '57 Classics, '57 Classic Pluses, BurstBuckers 1; 2; 3, Pro Neck and Pro Bridge and '59 Tributes have the "R" or Rhythm spacing measuring 49.2mm between E1 and E6 pole centers. This is often called just neck spacing although it applies to lots of pickups used for middle and bridge position, too.

Dirty Fingers, Dirty Fingers Pluses which by the way usually have twelve adjustable pole pieces, and all the humbuckers with a "T" suffix have the "T" or Treble spacing of 52mm between E1 and E6 pole centers. It is pretty close to the "F" like "Fender" or "Floyd Rose" spacing.

quoted from: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/137817-gibsons-sizing-for-the-bridge-pickup-cover-is-wrong/page__view__findpost__p__1863306

Thanks for the correction Cap (and including the extra details). I was sure the burstbuckers were R spaced but four some reason thought the 57s were opposite, maybe was thinking of thee dirty fingers.

Johnny

You could always just buy the Classic and swap in some new covered pups altogether and sell the 57s (unless you just love the 57s). Might be easier... and that way you can get even better pups for it (57s are good, but there are better options IMO).

Or just pop for the Trad instead. I know you worry that the neck is too fat, but in reality the last couple year Trad's necks really aren't "fat" per se. The spec for the 2017 is 0.818" / 0.963" 1st & 12th frets respectively, which is a far cry from the old baseball bat profile (which is typically 0.900"+ / 1.000+).

The 2017 Classic is spec'd at 0.800" / 0.875" (1st/12th)... so really not a massive difference (especially at the 1st fret). You may want to try a Trad before ruling them out.

Anyway, regardless... enjoy the hunt... it's at least half the fun. [wink]

Archived