Gibson Brands Forums

Hi from Scotland!

VintageTest

Hi everybody,

I repaired vintage test gear and valve amps for a living and also 'play' the guitar, which I've been doing for some 45 years now - ever since I bought an Ecko 12-string as a teenager. I was an electronics engineer by profession, but retired now, so hope to spend more time with my guitars. I've owned various guitars over the years - a '75 SG Standard and an '83 ES335 being the best. Sadly all gone now. I have an old and battered Jazz Bass and an Ovation acoustic nowadays. Anyway, I hope I'll b e able to contribute a little, especially about amps.

Cheers,

Hello and welcome to this nice place in the web! [thumbup]

Saying vintage test gear and valve amps, do you mean electronic test gear and amps for general applications, or did you specialize in audio test gear and amps, possibly guitar amplification?

One of my guitars I bought used in 1982 is a '78 S-G Standard, then with hyphen between S and G on the trussrod cover. What I love in particular on mine is the lower and deeper neck set with the neck pickup in its original position, that is at the 2nd octave like on Les Paul guitars and most other Gibsons with 22 frets, combined with a lower position of bridge and tailpiece, of course, and also bridge pickup. Some S-Gs from the mid-1970's had the bridge pickup where it was before and thus significantly farther away form the bridge. I never played one of these though, so I don't how how it may sound.

Do you plan on starting to play electric guitar again? Just curious... :rolleyes: I'm in my late fifties but still inquiring like a little child [biggrin][blush]

Hi V-T and welcome to the forums.....[thumbup]

I cannot believe the number of guitarists I have met who owned an Eko 12 str in their youth....including myself....:blink:

There is no shame in playing an Ovation acoustic either....dry.gif

I was up in Scotland by Loch Linnhe not so long ago....

V

:-({|=

Hello and welcome to the forums.msp_thumbup.gif I didn't have a Ecko but I did own a electric classical Ovation 12. Loved that guitar as a teen. Wish I still had it. Yeah, I got rid of everything when I married and regret selling all what I had. Got back into it again 4 years back and have 6 guitars and 2 amps. Hope you enjoy your stay here, lots of friendly knowledgeable folks.

Archived