Gibson Brands Forums

SG Classic or SG Standard P-90s?

sbpark

Used to have an SG Classic and sold it a little while ago, and have the hankering for an SG again, as all I have right now is a Tele. Wondering what the SG Standard P90 version is like in comparison as far as neck shape, feel, etc. I can pick up a used SG Classic for around $700 with a hardshell case, or take advantage of the 15% coupons right now and get a '16 SG Standard with P-90's for $850 plus tax, new with a warranty, then I'd have to get a hardshell case because they only come with gig bags. Only problem is, I'd have to order the Standard P-90, as there are none in stock near me. I play mostly old school country, alt-country stuff along the lines of anything from George Jones, Dwight Yoakam/Tom Anderson, Wilco, Son Volt, Jayhawks, etc.

Whats the consensus? I've also owned a '13 SG Standard which was ok, but the neck was pretty darn slim/thin.

My 50th Anniversary SG is going, I can't use the neck anymore, it is too clubby, so I know you can get away from the thin/slim thing, I know what you speak of there. I don't know the neck profiles of the different ones, I'm sure lots of these SG guys do.

If you are playing Yoakam/(Pete)Anderson out with a band you'll need to do that delicious thing, some compression and jangle that just tickles the inner ear. P-90s can do that, but you'll need to do some extra work to get the noise down to a dull roar. For me it is too much stuff to do, so I have an on-again off-again with P-90s. In my old age I've been avoiding them for about 10 years now.

But the typical pair of decent Gibson buckers can do that country thing really well and can stand the compression and twang needed, I'd go that way if'n I could find the right neck.

Lots of choices out there and unfortunately all of the potentially different necks aren't well documented so it's a kinda crapshoot.

Good luck with it.

rct

The tele is definitely the guitar for what your doing..

I have a 2008 classic, an a 2012 standard,

Agreed, the P90s do have the noise esp. if you're using a lot of overdrive/gain. I don't find them terribly hard to manage if I'm playing clean, or with just a bit of grit. I think they are a love/hate kind of thing.. I like what they do in my classic and I would buy another P90 equipped guitar with out hesitation.

BTW.. if that classic is in good shape 700 is a fair deal. they are hard to find these days.

The humbuckers may need some taming for clean work.. if I need to play cleanish, I use middle position and blend the volumes.. the bridge pickup just back a bit, the neck pup dialed back a bit more.. I think this ability to blend is key when using humbuckers and IMO and why the traditional setup with a vol/tone for each pickup is THE way to go for me.

I use a compressor to help to even out the dynamics most of the time, I suppose you plan use one too? helps evening out most of the highs and lows in my attack, bar chords don't JUMP out at me when playing aggressive rhythms.

Not sure how your telecaster neck is, mine's pretty reasonable, some chunk, not crazy.. (has maple fret board). Gibson necks are pretty inconsistent, always have been. I have 4 gibsons with 59 profiles, they're all a bit different.

Just to clarify, not necessarily intending on using the SG for the really twangy country stuff, just giving you guys an idea of the stuff I like to play. I'd for sure be using the Tele for the old school, Honky Tonk type stuff.

RCT does make a good point about the noise with P90's. Maybe just a regular old SG Standard with some hum buckers would be a better choice to compliment a Telecaster. And I'd say I like to play more "clean-ish" than clean. Just on the edge of break-up, with some more grit and bite when you dig in, and a cleaner tone when you back off. I've had pretty good luck with 57 Classics accomplishing that in the past, but the 57 Classic bridge can be a little bright and harsh. Wondering if the 490R/490T combo can do that kind of stuff? If my memory serves me correctly, the bridge pickup in that combo is a little hot, right?

Just to clarify, not necessarily intending on using the SG for the really twangy country stuff, just giving you guys an idea of the stuff I like to play. I'd for sure be using the Tele for the old school, Honky Tonk type stuff.

RCT does make a good point about the noise with P90's. Maybe just a regular old SG Standard with some hum buckers would be a better choice to compliment a Telecaster. And I'd say I like to play more "clean-ish" than clean. Just on the edge of break-up, with some more grit and bite when you dig in, and a cleaner tone when you back off. I've had pretty good luck with 57 Classics accomplishing that in the past, but the 57 Classic bridge can be a little bright and harsh. Wondering if the 490R/490T combo can do that kind of stuff? If my memory serves me correctly, the bridge pickup in that combo is a little hot, right?

It is. My only Gibson with 490s is my Explorer, a pretty warm sounding guitar relatively speaking, and it does the twang thang on the back pickup just as good as my Les Paul and SG do with their fiddy 7s in them. And yeah, that on the edge place right between squeaky clean and almost driven over is a great place for a Gibson humbucker. I don't get there enough these days.

rct

I have the SG Standard with the P90s and it has a 60s style neck where the SG Classic has the 50s style thick neck. You can find some decent deals on the 2016s now and sometimes on the 2017s as well. Happy shopping.

Just so I don't leave everyone hanging, I actually ended up with an SG Standard with humbuckers. I know I was looking for something with P90's, but changed my mind at the last minute found a 2012 SG Standard with a rosewood board in darn near mint condition, 100% stock (even still has the film on the pick guard, which I will be promptly peeling off after I give her a set up and some new strings). Came is a pretty banged up TKL case, but hey, that's what the case is there for, to protect the guitar, right? Picked it up for $700. After I set her up I'll take some pics and post them in a NGD later today or tomorrow. I've been up since around 4pm yesterday. Worked from 7pm last night until 7am this morning, then drove an hour to go get the guitar. I'm wiped out!

I decided to go with hum buckers because my only other guitar at the moment was a Telecaster. I do love P90's, but figured I'd be able to cover a little more ground with the hum buckers, compared to two guitars with single coils, even though P90's are obviously a totally different beast than standard single coils. I've never owned a guitar with the 490R/498T combo, and have read very mixed reviews about them. I play mostly in the bridge position and middle position, and rarely use the neck by itself. I don't even come close to playing stuff that's very overdriven, just edge of break-up type stuff. Hoping I can make these pickups work for me! Good thing is if I don't bond with the guitar I could easily sell it for what I paid for it. Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Just so I don't leave everyone hanging, I actually ended up with an SG Standard with humbuckers. I know I was looking for something with P90's, but changed my mind at the last minute found a 2012 SG Standard with a rosewood board in darn near mint condition, 100% stock (even still has the film on the pick guard, which I will be promptly peeling off after I give her a set up and some new strings). Came is a pretty banged up TKL case, but hey, that's what the case is there for, to protect the guitar, right? Picked it up for $700. After I set her up I'll take some pics and post them in a NGD later today or tomorrow. I've been up since around 4pm yesterday. Worked from 7pm last night until 7am this morning, then drove an hour to go get the guitar. I'm wiped out!

I decided to go with hum buckers because my only other guitar at the moment was a Telecaster. I do love P90's, but figured I'd be able to cover a little more ground with the hum buckers, compared to two guitars with single coils, even though P90's are obviously a totally different beast than standard single coils. I've never owned a guitar with the 490R/498T combo, and have read very mixed reviews about them. I play mostly in the bridge position and middle position, and rarely use the neck by itself. I don't even come close to playing stuff that's very overdriven, just edge of break-up type stuff. Hoping I can make these pickups work for me! Good thing is if I don't bond with the guitar I could easily sell it for what I paid for it. Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Congratulations on the new guitar! Be sure to post some pics.

Archived