Gibson Brands Forums

Photobucket Changes

badbluesplayer

They could have let everyone know, kinda of a crumby way to do business. [thumbdn]

Yeah it does seem like a tactic.. Get everyone used to it then pull the rug and hope that its now an indispensable service to us and we will just pay up... I used it cos I was free.. And there are other free sites to use so it wont work on me, they can kiss my behind doing it like that.

I wont delete my account yet.. They may decide after a month or so of people not using it any more to offer it for free again.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The backlash from this is going to cost them big time. What a stupid business decision. Who's going to pay $400 for them to host some compressed versions of their photos just for the privilege of being able to use their own photos where they want. I see a reversal of this decision coming quickly. I'd pay $20 a year if it meant no ads and faster uploads, but that's it.

...and a tasteful burst.

I'll be deleting my content from Photobucket and closing out, and will leave it to them to guess which finger I'm holding up.

Does that include you don't post a picture of your finger? :o

Yeah it does seem like a tactic.. Get everyone used to it then pull the rug and hope that its now an indispensable service to us and we will just pay up... I used it cos I was free.. And there are other free sites to use so it wont work on me, they can kiss my behind doing it like that.

I wont delete my account yet.. They may decide after a month or so of people not using it any more to offer it for free again.

Right me either pain in the neck. I started with them from the start, their tactics remind me of the cable servers, they act like they are doing you a favor while the truth is its the customer doing them the favor. The entire concept of how we treat customers has in a strange way become subject to bs. My problem is more in the tactics admittedly.

Stinks of some odd form of luring people in then exploiting them, blackmail in some light fashion imho.

Oh well I suppose we shall be fine anyway. Small thing but mildly disturbing. [flapper]

Guest Farnsbarns

msp_scared.gif

R0Lo-resframed_zpsdc8b2f7d.jpg?w=680&h=680&fit=clip

Pip.

Just trying some experiments

Edit: Ha ha. That didn't take long. Workaround worked around. Bloody idiots.

Guest Farnsbarns

Right then.

In your photobucket URL you'll see

http://ixxx

where XXX is a number

Change the i to rs.

Then you'll see Photobucket.com, change it to pbsrc.com

Then add

?w=XXX&h=yyy&fit=clip

Where XXX is your desired maximum width in pixels and yyy is your desired maximum height in pixels, the aspect ratio will be maintained.

Guest Farnsbarns

Easier method...

When viewing your image on photobucket's site, right click (long press on mobile device) and click "view image in a new tab" (or similar, browser dependent) in the new tab copy the URL in the address bar, use that to embed the image, either by manually creating your IMG tags or by pasting the URL into the little image insert thing in the post editor.

I agree, time to "phuk" photobucket but for those with a lot of historical images on there this might help in the interim.

Easier method...

When viewing your image on photobucket's site, right click (long press on mobile device) and click "view image in a new tab" (or similar, browser dependent) in the new tab copy the URL in the address bar, use that to embed the image, either by manually creating your IMG tags or by pasting the URL into the little image insert thing in the post editor.

I agree, time to "phuk" photobucket but for those with a lot of historical images on there this might help in the interim.

Love how quickly you outsmarted them!

My free account seems to be working fine still. I just uploaded and copied the link to this photo normally (with the app)

A7A3FA3B-BA93-4067-92BB-888B0DDEAE6E_zpsbs4cq4yb.jpg

Yeah, I'm thinking that site is history. I just tried logging on. After no less than 20 different clicks to wade through pop-ups and re-directs, I still never even was able to view one of my own photo uploads! [cursing] Some pages were just a bunch of HTML jibberish.

I'll give it a little time see if they work out some bugs before I attempt another log-in.

Truth is, the site has been frustratingly slow and glitchy for at least 2 years now.

1498857380[/url]' post='1865423']

exposing my lack of technical insight here, but...why can't this site (Gibson forum) just be modified to allow us to simply copy and paste our photos directly into threads from our own files or devices or from the web (making the links anonymous of course) rather than having to use these 3rd party sites at all?

Photobucket is probably the most amateurish POS site I ever go to, but I only need it for here.

That's what I was wondering. Just post photos off the computer or I-ph to Gibson the same you do with Facebook. I've had nothing but trouble with Photo Bucket. They let me post some photos way back and then it stopped working.

Hmm....

That didn't last long!...LOL!

Farns!

Could you do another and take a screenshot of the gobbledygook as it appears immediately before you hit the 'Add Reply' button and post it here so I can see where I'm going wrong?

I tried adding the and boxes to the image-only URL (as far as I know) but the new image disappeared within minutes whereas the earlier one you cut'n'pasted on page 2 is still there...

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

It's basically like a ransomware deal at this point. The library page is pretty much unnavigable now. And there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get around their roadblocks. Everybody meet at the saloon at sunset and we'll ride down to Photobucket and make 'em give our pictures back. [thumbdn]

Guest Farnsbarns

Let's see if this works...

Method 1.

L1430428Lo-res_zpsbeb4fe53.jpg?w=765&h=560&fit=clip

Pip.

Hmm....Nope.

I did something wrong, clearly, but I don't quite know what...

I might not have been entirely clear about where to add the bit at the end. To be clearer, it goes at the end.

Guest Farnsbarns

Let's see if this works...

L1430428Lo-res_zpsbeb4fe53.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Done using Farns' second method.

Let's see if that's still there later!

Pip.

Like that.

Guest Farnsbarns

Hmm. Can you post a link to the image on photobucket. Seems neither of those files actually exist.

Edit:Nope, not gonna help, my previous workaround on page 2 is no longer working. Probably shouldn't have posted it publicly. Ha. Oh well. Time to find another option.

Archived