Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge replacement for 2002 Standard Premium Plus

ginthepartisan

yea it does. I have a set of saddles on my 02 lp that have these "extra" notches..

came that way when I bought it (ARG!) - I am the 2nd owner.

Turns out, changing strings can be a dangerous thing, be careful out there my friends.

Guest Farnsbarns

It's usually the collapsing phenomenon. Never seen these double notches myself. Just poor workmanship. That bridge codename has posted has both collapsed and been double notched.

can i ask, why do you need a new bridge? is the old one no longer functioning properly? i dont know what happens to them to be worn out, so i thought i might ask. i never kept a guitar long enough for that.

From what I understand, a lot of it has to do with the sweat, acid and oils in your skin. Apparently mine is a bit higher than average, according to a luthier friend back in the 80's.

The bridge on my 81 Gibson V was replaced around 1990 or 1991 and is almost due again for replacement. It's from resting the hand on the bridge while muting the strings or generally placing the hand there. It's kind of like replacing the brakes on your car. Perhaps some of that wear can be minimized by wiping it off after playing. I'm not sure because it didn't seem to work very well for me. All I know is that 3 or 4 hours on a stage under hot lights and sweat has caused wear on my bridge, tailpiece and on the top of the guitar where my arm would rest and rub against. That and a few hours a day, every day, playing it. My bridge never had the double string slot like these pictured though, just a lot of wear. Same with the frets too.

It stays perfectly in tune and the intonation is great but a few more years of playing will do it in eventually and I'll have to replace it again on that guitar. Hope that answers your question, cheez.

Guest Farnsbarns

I assumed that slope on the low e saddle in codenames's pic had been filed like that for comfort. I thought we were looking at the double notches and, more importantly, the collapse. I could be wrong but if that's warn off from right hand contact that's pretty amazing and must be pretty old.

• 4 years later...