Gibson Brands Forums

Alas Poor Yorik

fortyearspickn

Yeah. I've found, after 5 years of retirement - that drinking is not the best way to spend your 'Goldarn Years'. I came to realize, in spite of all the great songs about drinking beer - there is a law of diminishing returns - especially when it comes to playing.

13-1/2 years for me. And on 7/9 it will be 3 years without a smoke.

So basically I'm dead.

13-1/2 years for me. And on 7/9 it will be 3 years without a smoke.

So basically I'm dead.

No, that's awesome !

I'm at almost 10 years without a smoke, and nearly 8 years since I've touched alcohol. I've been clean for over 18.

I was on a pretty bad path, gigging for 35+ years in bars is not a healthy lifestyle. Especially since my early days were in the 70's and it was a different World back then. Everybody smoked everywhere, even in your hospital room.

I had gone on the Atkins diet in 2003 and lost a bunch of weight. I had to give up the Colt 45 carbs so I just stopped drinking altogether. After 5 or 6 months I realized I didn't have to sheepishly check my browser history, credit card transactions, or phone records.... and then I had bragging rights.... 6 months turned into 8, 10, a YEAR... and so on.

I don't miss it. If someone offers me a beer and I turn it down, saying I don't drink, they kinda eye me in an uncomfortable way. Oh well. Think whatever you want, it's not as juicy as you'd like to make it.

As to smokes, I've quit several times but this is the longest. Penny quit in January 2013 and we've never smoked in the new house, ever. I did the patch for 2 days and then tore that off my arm and said "effit, it's cold turkey!".

I have reasons for quitting and if I said any more, you all would think I'm crazier than you do already.

What's the old work joke? "Before I worked here I use to smoke and drink and use foul language for no reason! Now I have a reason."

I had started smoking too much with work/life pressure and wasn't enjoying them. I tried a prescription med that was popular for a short while, but gave you the Heebie Jeebies and I still smoked. I later gave up with patches, but they can make you unwell too. So...Cold Turkey. Yet to have one since - quite a few years now. Lost some friends yelling at everybody! Really is madness! Kept on a roughly even keel by promising myself to put the equivalent cash from smoking into the Guitar Fund as an incentive. Man oh man, that has worked! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] I got geetars everywhere. Recently I have started trading lesser lights for nicer ones - trading my Monopoly houses for hotels, if you will.....

The catch in a way is that I avoid social functions and gigs with booze and smokes......and laughter.... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

I have reasons for quitting and if I said any more, you all would think I'm crazier than you do already.

Nah, you don't post enough these days for us to think that.

The catch in a way is that I avoid social functions and gigs with booze and smokes......and laughter.... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Appreciate the honesty. . . we should all do as much to acknowledge our paths.

Lost some friends yelling at everybody!

No lost friends but on Day Five or Day Six I came home from work and something went wrong...dog poop on the carpet, tripped over a cord, a combination of several tiny things... I picked my laptop up over my head and smashed it down on the coffee table.

It didn't work so well after that. It gave quite a light show for about 1.4 seconds and then nothing. It was actually quite flexible, almost limp. And there were little bits of plastic all over the carpet.

Not proud of that, but if a 3 year old Acer was the only casualty of a successful quit...

One beer a night with dinner, maybe two on a very special occasion.

After smoking a pack a day from age 16 to 18, quit cold turkey in 1970 when a girlfriend told me she didn't like it. Going to different colleges pulled us apart early on, but now at age 66, I'm sure I have her to thank for giving me a few additional years..... so: Many Thanks, Cathy!

One beer a night with dinner, maybe two on a very special occasion.

After smoking a pack a day from age 16 to 18, quit cold turkey in 1970 when a girlfriend told me she didn't like it. Going to different colleges pulled us apart early on, but now at age 66, I'm sure I have her to thank for giving me a few additional years..... so: Many Thanks, Cathy!

Holy smoke. I've lots to think about women in the past

But they've usually shortened my life

8 years cigarette free this Sept. Probably 25 or 30 guitars have come and gone in that time period using the funds freed up from quitting. No regrets other than wishing I'd been able to do it sooner.

Yep, I bought my ES-339 with cigarette money !

So I am not the only one to have swapped addiction to cigarettes to addiction to buying guitars?

I thought I was the only one, alone and laughed at [unsure] - but glad I never had to go Cold Turkey on anything else because I am so weak.... except one packet of 20 Stuyvesants (Special Filter!) is now an unbelievable $22.95 at Woolworths in Australia!

This couple I know are always broke and complaining about the world, but everytime I see the guy he has a ciggie hanging out his top lip and a can of beer. Priorities are blind when addicted!

BluesKing777.

I always lite up a good hookah before posting here - then ritually blow the smoke down the sound-hole of my now slightly tanned Firebird.

But apart from that I agree these pages have their ups and downs. How could it be different.

Thing is that so many topics have been discussed already - it's all there in the bar-library behind us. Look it up and see.

If the pics are taken down, as Murph says, it's a bloody shame.

More than that, it's a mistake. Loads of treasures back there and they spice and underline the actual threads.

Guess it must have to do with the digital space they occupy or what. . .

But forty - what do you miss or expect. Just wondering

! of course not - if not mentioning the opposite, I'm always sober when writing here. Don't take the oil and drink too little nowadays.

I have only used Photobucket for frivolous entertainment purposes - mainly showing my guitars....and lately they have been abysmal with a billion popup heavy duty memory hogging ads opening and not closing as you try to load a photo.....

But surely if you relied on them for something like a website or the like, you could be checking your terms and conditions that you originally signed to open an account and get a lawyer to sue the poop out of them - perhaps start with charging them for watching all those rotten ads!

I have swapped to Imgur - all good but some tricks - the settings need to be adjusted before posting each time, won't save - or the photos come out 55 miles wide in the forum!>

I will check that again with this post:

48IMJpQ.jpg

BluesKing777.

Another quick photo copied from Imgur to check the size within the post, previous one looking good full steam ahead old chaps and all that and jam it, mr.photobucket! (Though I had to open Photobucket to copy this photo to Imgur and of course, sat through the ads... [cursing] :

7d6NhcZ.jpg

BluesKing777.

'What started this ?' (BBG)

"But forty - what do you miss or expect. Just wondering" (Em7)

As usual, Old Cowboy said it better the I could. But, I'll try to elucidate.

There is less activity here than several years ago; there were more members who signed on regularly and commented often.

So, it seemed there were more topics of interest to me. And less 'turnover' of members who posted.

And it seemed there was more humor. (or more things I thought were SUPPOSED to be funny !)

And, as a final thought - it seemed more 'newbies' came here to ask interesting questions specific to Gibson Acoustics.

Of course, it could be selective memory and I'm only remembering the things I like.

But, based on Poll Votes (I didn't vote) - it would seem the majority (at least 15/16) of us are happy with The State of The Forum.

So, maybe I'm just going through a Hamlet thing. I did have a Danish just before posting my SIXTH edit of my original post.

'What started this ?' (BBG)

"But forty - what do you miss or expect. Just wondering" (Em7)

As usual, Old Cowboy said it better the I could. But, I'll try to elucidate.

There is less activity here than several years ago; there were more members who signed on regularly and commented often.

So, it seemed there were more topics of interest to me. And less 'turnover' of members who posted.

And it seemed there was more humor. (or more things I thought were SUPPOSED to be funny !)

And, as a final thought - it seemed more 'newbies' came here to ask interesting questions specific to Gibson Acoustics.

Of course, it could be selective memory and I'm only remembering the things I like.

But, based on Poll Votes (I didn't vote) - it would seem the majority (at least 15/16) of us are happy with The State of The Forum.

So, maybe I'm just going through a Hamlet thing. I did have a Danish just before posting my SIXTH edit of my original post.

To be bored or not to be bored

, , , , or maybe

To Board or not to Board

Guess it was good to confront the ghost now.

Surely don't hope you're still out of stream when we reach post 20.000. Better get the tie and champagne ready.

Trivia

Did you know Dylan once visited Hamlets castle.

He managed to catch a glimpse of Ophelia 'neath a window, , , and it was actually there he finally left his folksy acoustic cape.

Archived