Gibson Brands Forums

Alas Poor Yorik

fortyearspickn

While Hamlet opens up to Horatio about the frailty of humanity, and we learn how his own life has spiraled down from 'infinite jest' to an inch of thick paint - it occurs to me we are the gravediggers in that scene.

I'm not sure if it is I who have changed, or this forum. But it seems in years past it was chock full of interesting topics, witty comments and likable, quirky characters. Even the dreaded "What strings do you use?" topics were reasonably enjoyable and informative in appeal to most. It seems lately that such topics are few and far between. Do we need a "Membership Drive" ? Do we need to head over to other guitar forums and offer incentives to some of the more 'interesting' folks there to come over here. Obviously - you don't have to actually OWN a Gibson, to frequent our humble forum. And you can suggest other members buy competing brands and post performance ditties using them. So, it's not like we aren't 'diverse'. You can even talk about banjos, electronics and ... well, fortunately politics and religion are out.

What say you, on this Patriotic Holiday Weekend, fellow GAF members? Is it broken? How do we fix it? Or should we not bother?

This isn't about York City FC?

(Would have been apt! )

Yep - good old Spell Check screwed up "Yorik' and made it into "York". I was born in NYC and raised in the 'burbs. Left when I turned 18 and ever looked back!

Questions for the ages, as befit your Hamlet reference, my friend. I believe we should take a moment to consider where we are and what's going on, as well as where it may be headed. I believe most of us are experiencing uncertain times on several levels that impact one another, the details of which are inappropriate to this forum. I'm trying here to reference global, national, and personal uncertainties without being specific - anyone who doesn't realize my context may be immune to it. If so, I envy their good fortune. Debate, argument, and plain old getting snarky with eachother is useless in a forum such as ours - assuming that the topics are non-musical. Some, perhaps many, of us are preoccupied and concerned - if not actively worried - about subjects that are difficult to ignore and/or compartmentalize. Those things, to me, are sucking the vitality - if not the very life - from areas more pleasant and which tend to be more active in better times. The hopeful side of me likes to believe this will pass. The realistic side contends that it's not something within our direct control. The cynical side feels that the process may take far too long. The survivor tells me to stay strong and endure. I believe our forum will endure as well. Meanwhile, there are protest songs to be written - my lyrics tend to come easily, but I always catch myself stealing the damn melodies😉

To continue a theme, (with my pard to the Bard)"Now is the winter of our discontent...", and not made summer by anything I can see.

Time for reflection, contemplation...and playing guitar.

Reality sucks. Escapism is the order of the day.

What started this ?

I don't know exactly what 40 had in mind, just what he stated in his post. He may elaborate or not, as the thread matures, but I suspect that getting a notion of the 'state of the forum' as perceived by some of us hardcore degenerates played a big part. Sort of a "so how y'all doin'?" and "how's the forum treating ya?" opening for reflection, observation, philosophical speculation, and such.

I guess getting rid of the bullies and those who wouldn't play by the rules wasn't such a good idea after all.

Nope, don't miss them (I know you're just messin' with us [biggrin] ) . Thanks for all your hard work!

I think the forum is always going to be dynamic. There are periods where a lot of the posts don't interest me personally, and that's just fine. Then there will be a gaggle of posts that come up that get me engaged. I enjoy keeping up with you folks and your lives as well, and I still look forward to meeting one of you in person! It happened once on the Larrivee Forum and we still keep in touch. [thumbup]

I think we have a pretty good bunch here. Traffic will always be slower during summer months, people have lives, family, projects, mowing, trips, etc.

I don't reply to a lot of threads about things/gear/guitars that I don't have any interest in, and I have taken time away when politics become too whiney.

I can't banter much about picks, strings, and things that I've already decided on, but it's still fun from time to time.

One of MY favorite things about this Forum is hearing the talent, writing and recordings of fellow members. However there are other members here who think THAT is a total waste of space and would rather all threads be JUST about Gibson guitars.

So, all in all, this is still one of my favorite Forums.

I am however a little concerned if we will lose all of the Photobucket pictures from over the years. It looks like that is happening.

Oh well.

How well the forum is working would seem to depend on what you're hoping to derive from it.

For me, it's about the instruments: Occasionally learning something new, and sharing info acquired over the years.

In today's swirling mess of a world, a few places of refuge are nice to have. And the more civility, the better.

How well the forum is working would seem to depend on what you're hoping to derive from it.

For me, it's about the instruments: Occasionally learning something new, and sharing info acquired over the years.

In today's swirling mess of a world, a few places of refuge are nice to have. And the more civility, the better.

"Swirling mess of a world" is an apt description. I have had 2 new guitars come into my home in the last month and not bothered to post a NGD with pics. Not sure why. Maybe because they weren't Gibsons although that never stopped me before. Que sera sera. I think Old Cowboy hit the nail on the head. It's a real fcking shtshow out there and this place is not immune to that.

"Swirling mess of a world" is an apt description. I have had 2 new guitars come into my home in the last month and not bothered to post a NGD with pics. Not sure why. Maybe because they weren't Gibsons although that never stopped me before. Que sera sera. I think Old Cowboy hit the nail on the head. It's a real fcking shtshow out there and this place is not immune to that.

There are some of us who would like to see your coffee tables

Never mind whether it's a Gibson or not

I think the forum goes in cycles.And perceptions differ.One man's witty banter between like minded posters is another's domination by an "in crowd".I miss some former members.But who I miss others may not.

Personally I enjoy the civil exchanges here.Entertainment value varies but there's always enough to keep me coming back - even after the occasional break.

As the great Bard says "ya can't please everybody, so ya gotta please yourself"...that would be Ricky Nelson not that Olde Englsh Bloke from Stratford.

It is a bit like the little old guitar shop that you can hang around, have a yak, a strum, a coffee sometimes if you are lucky, not much going on and on the wall, a fabulous guitar ot two while the shop teeters on the brink of existence seemingly until they make big sale perhap....or not. But you always get your strings there even if they are more expensive, save the car and fuel. One day, nobody there, next day, 10 and a grumpy but busy shop owner!

UMGF is similar lately, fairly quiet while the AGF is raging ahead and a little like going to the giant guitar shop where everything is going on at once!

BluesKing777.

I'll drink to that.

😁 My drinking has slacked off considerably in the last 10 or so years - probably a good thing considering that otherwise I wouldn't have drawn a sober breath in the last 7 or 8 months 😁

Yeah. I've found, after 5 years of retirement - that drinking is not the best way to spend your 'Goldarn Years'. I came to realize, in spite of all the great songs about drinking beer - there is a law of diminishing returns - especially when it comes to playing.

Archived