Gibson Brands Forums

Nickel Bronze strings

ksdaddy

But....last week I put a set of Elixirs on my Martin and they lasted 5 minutes. I put a set of 80/20s on it and it sounds better than I've heard it since it darkened our door 36 years ago. (Dad gave it a steady diet of PB and I followed suit. Never again....on that guitar anyway).

Hopefully, everyone gives the D'Addario Nickel Bronzes a try- I did after Sal put them on the HB-Vintage that he had and declared that these were "the strings for this guitar". They have a more raw/honest sound that allows the voice of the guitar to come out. . . but Scott- "several months ago" ? They may give great sound, but longevity is not their strong suit, and I'm ok with that.

Try the Martin Retro monels. The D'Addario NB are nickel plated while the Martin windings are the full nickel/copper alloy........which lasts much longer. And I agree that the nickel strings are a very good compliment to a spruce/mahogany guitar. Dry as a bone and very short sustain, perfect for the J-45.........but I do still prefer 80/20 on the Hummingbird.

Here's an odd but true fact that apparently applies to me alone:

For sound and longevity, I can't do better than cheap Martin 80/20 or PB strings. I don't say that to be snarky, either - sure have tried a load of different kinds - maybe it's skin chemistry or Sasquatch DNA😒

I've been using the Nickel bronze on my J-185 for a while and I'm really impressed by them. I just ordered some sets from MF so I can try them on my bird. Great strings.

If dry tone is your ticket, try these:

http://daddario.com/DADMobileProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3757&productid=35&productname=EJ22_Nickel_Wound__Jazz_Medium__13_56&sid=dc749ed1-fcff-46d9-959d-48d7f8e3c5c3

I put them on my Martin D-18. Sounded like walking on leaves, twigs, and branches in a forest that has not seen rain for a 100 years, and recorded like a dream!

Lars

All the more reason to pay top dollar. You know your strings, KS. Load up on the T-I's.

About 2000 I had a 1979 Guild X500 and I had TI 12-52 flats on it. Sounded wonderful. Nothing else could compare. String-wise I mean. Last year I put a set on my '85 Fender D'Aquisto and we just didn't click. I put cheapo D'Addario Chromes on it and all is well. I picked up a 1993 Heritage Super Eagle (18" with one floating PU) and I haven't found ANY strings that will make it sound like anything other than an unplugged 175. I even splurged on the TI George Bensons and still no love.

I'm really liking the Martin Retros on my J-15. Not as jangly as PB strings, but you still get the good lows and clear highs that you get with PB. 80/20's, no matter the brand I've tried, have been too bright on my J-15.

They've been on about a week now and still look brand new and seem to have gotten a little louder, maybe a little more articulate, in that week. I'd imagine they'll last a very long time.

I generally use Newtone strings on my flattops but have been stringing my archtops with the D'addario NBs. I really like them at least on those guitars. I will probably throw a set on one of my flattops next time I place an order. They are pricey though. The owner of the local music shop just gave me a set of those new Cleartone EQs to see if I liked them. Each wound string is made with a different alloy. While I have never cottoned to Cleartone strings, it is an interesting idea. Got to do the eenie. meanie thing and pick a guitar to try them out on.

I put a set of Nickel Bronzes on my old D18 and REALLY disliked them. It was a rather ordinary D18 and nothing special (which is why I traded it for my SJ200 which is a million light years better than it!) but the Nickel Bronzes just sounded dead and flat, like the sort of fart that you feel but don't hear. All the displeasure of a fart, but minus the comedic opportunity to tell someone nearby that you trod on a duck.

I'll have to try them on summat else.

I put a set of Nickel Bronzes on my old D18 and REALLY disliked them. It was a rather ordinary D18 and nothing special (which is why I traded it for my SJ200 which is a million light years better than it!) but the Nickel Bronzes just sounded dead and flat, like the sort of fart that you feel but don't hear. All the displeasure of a fart, but minus the comedic opportunity to tell someone nearby that you trod on a duck.

I'll have to try them on summat else.

Thank you! You have just managed to describe in glowing and faithful terms EXACTLY what I hear when playing any of the current series 15 Martins! I knew there had to be an apt analogy out there and you, sir, just managed to capture the experience perfectly.

Thank you! You have just managed to describe in glowing and faithful terms EXACTLY what I hear when playing any of the current series 15 Martins! I knew there had to be an apt analogy out there and you, sir, just managed to capture the experience perfectly.

Do you have a 15-series Martin that smells funny?

This exchange made me decide to stop sniffing inside the soundholes of my mahogany guitars.

I think I'll go sit in a corner.

Seriously, I use nickel strings on my electrics, because they work well with magnetic pickups. Wouldn't think of using them on any of my acoustics.

Do you have a 15-series Martin that smells funny?

This exchange made me decide to stop sniffing inside the soundholes of my mahogany guitars.

I think I'll go sit in a corner.

Seriously, I use nickel strings on my electrics, because they work well with magnetic pickups. Wouldn't think of using them on any of my acoustics.

First decent laugh I've had today, Nick.

Haha I'm no fan of the 15s either. I think as a player of predominantly maple guitars, they just don't have enough chime or chunk for me. To my ears they sound like they look. Brown and shine-free.

• 3 weeks later...

Having tried lots of different strings / gauges by manufacturers over many years, I have finally settled for Ernie Ball 80/20 Earthwoods (11-52) on my old 1949 J-50. Phosphor Bronze strings, though longer-lasting, just don't have enough "zing" to balance-out the warmth of a short-scale, mahogany back-and-sided jumbo. How much mellowness can a man take?

That said, all of the guitar forums on the www are littered with guitar-players swearing blind that their choice of strings is the best - which it is, but (which they omit to mention) for their instrument alone. The rest is highly subjective. As a player, you just have to keep experimenting, plugging-away with different manufactures, gauges, metal compounds, etc., until you find what suits your instrument and your playing style.

Having tried lots of different strings / gauges by manufacturers over many years, I have finally settled for Ernie Ball 80/20 Earthwoods (11-52) on my old 1949 J-50. Phosphor Bronze strings, though longer-lasting, just don't have enough "zing" to balance-out the warmth of a short-scale, mahogany back-and-sided jumbo. How much mellowness can a man take?

That said, all of the guitar forums on the www are littered with guitar-players swearing blind that their choice of strings is the best - which it is, but (which they omit to mention) for their instrument alone. The rest is highly subjective. As a player, you just have to keep experimenting, plugging-away with different manufactures, gauges, metal compounds, etc., until you find what suits your instrument and your playing style.

Fully agree. Also, I've got to the point of believing much the same about frequency of string changes, how you choose winding 'em on the tuners, and such. Each of us is his/her final authority😎

Archived