Gibson Brands Forums

BEATER GUITARS

OldCowboy

With the impending arrival of July 4, it feels like beater guitar season is upon us as well. Got wondering what sort(s) of 'beaters' my fellow members use. I'll confess to an Epi EJ200 Artist😎

I had a few!

Depends which side of the tracks you are on, doesn't it?

I bought a Hummingbird copy to be my beater and while it is 'fair' ..ish....to play/sound, sorry sometimes it may hurt a little bit to play.....reality is that I want people to hear me sounding better than that! So that has gathered dust since I bought a Martin 000-17 Black Smoke! Looks good, great to play, has pickup so connectible, not irreplaceable or overly expensive though I did buy it new; but I don't want anyone hurting it since I may have......fallen in love with it a bit. [biggrin] , so I also have a 000 size Hiscox case to share with an OM so it doesn't get hurt in the car!

Edit to add phototest from Imgur (Bad Panda is the dog's!!!):

z9bZbLO.jpg

BluesKing777.

I play a morris d35 copy. Its the out door guitar for me. It plays very well has a sparkly tone.

When approximately is it from - and does it have adjustable saddle ?

Ouh, , , and the answer must be found in the Epiphone section.

It used to be an Ibanez D-28, then a sunburst Yamaha FG700S, but now is the Inspired by 1964 Texan.

I would guess its about 5 years old. And a solid saddle. Its a solid top im sure its a laminate back and side it is good enough to fingerpick or even presents well with a pick. Sure is easy to play.

Got wondering what sort(s) of 'beaters' my fellow members use.

Don't have or want one, if I'm going to bring a guitar then I want it to be a good one. I live out in the woods and spend a lot of time outside. One of my guitars is out with me almost everyday in a spot by the stream or a clearing in the woods. No problems so far - the Hiscox case protects them when they aren't being played. :)

If its a controlled trip, my 2009 J-45, if its dicey I have an Alvarez something or other my wife gave me 39 years ago. Played it at 12,000 feet last weekend while my wife and 2 friends climbed higher, I sat on a rock playing along. A couple of tourists stopped by to take a photo, lunatic playing a guitar with a beautiful mountain backdrop. It was 44 degrees and intense sun. The J-45 would not have faired well.

I would guess its about 5 years old. And a solid saddle. Its a solid top im sure its a laminate back and side it is good enough to fingerpick or even presents well with a pick. Sure is easy to play.

Okay - nice to hear they still make them.

Here's a picture of mine taken a couple of years ago.

The guitar is from my early youth and still lives by my old friend.

Funny enough I played it Friday night.

Approx 1972 ~ Mid70sMorris.jpg, , , adjustable saddle indeed

Got a black Yamaha 335 a few months ago; I was on a short trip and stopped in to a Guitar Center near D.C. to see what kind of beater I could get. Not bad for $120 during a sale. It feels remarkably good to play, and It does not offend the ear. The Epi Hummingbird was about $30 more, but I wasn't looking for p/u and, frankly, it didn't sound $30 better than the Yamaha. Plus, I secretly always wanted an all-black guitar.

Thing about bringing a beater to a campfire is, I don't mind passing it around.

And you never know when you might meet a kid or someone in need of a workable guitar. Sometimes, you just want to be ready to say, "hey, why don't you keep it?" I've done that a time or two and never regretted it.

Have a Gretsch Rancher and. Cort single cut 12

They live out of cases

The dog even cocked his leg on thr Gretsch

Giving it huge Mojo

And probably doubling its value

I collected old US made Applauses for many years and topped out at 65. You'd think they would be the ultimate beater, what with the bowl, aluminum neck, and lam top. I don't know what kind of dope I was smoking when I started collecting them things. I'm dumping them on ebay one by one until they're gone. Just sick to death of them is all. Typical ksdaddy behavior...obsess, collect, ennui, purge, on to the next thing.

Any cheap guitar can be a beater guitar, but I would like to think of a 'good beater' as one that satisfies all of the qualities you'd look for in an "A-list" guitar but without the price tag and a higher degree of...disposability? Does it sound good? Not just acceptable, but good? If you were seen playing it in public would you be embarrassed? Do you make excuses for why you can't reach that note on this guitar but you can at home on your 'real' guitars?

My vote would be my 1998 Seagull S-6 cedar. I think I paid $100 for it in 2006. I don't think the B string has EVER been in tune and the neck is twisting but otherwise it plays fine and has the thump of an old J45 with dead 13's.

My Epi Texan and early L-1 shaped Epi EL-00 are my "beater" guitars, but with the downside that I'm REALLY attached to both of them and would be extremely sad if anything destructive happened to either.

I like bringing my Texan along to sessions and jams, most people spy my SJ200 on a stand and wonder why I've brought an Epi along too...until I play it. I've had a TON of compliments on it and have had to fend off various offers to buy it! Absolutely lovely guitar.

I collected old US made Applauses for many years and topped out at 65. You'd think they would be the ultimate beater, what with the bowl, aluminum neck, and lam top. I don't know what kind of dope I was smoking when I started collecting them things. I'm dumping them on ebay one by one until they're gone. Just sick to death of them is all. Typical ksdaddy behavior...obsess, collect, ennui, purge, on to the next thing.

Any cheap guitar can be a beater guitar, but I would like to think of a 'good beater' as one that satisfies all of the qualities you'd look for in an "A-list" guitar but without the price tag and a higher degree of...disposability? Does it sound good? Not just acceptable, but good? If you were seen playing it in public would you be embarrassed? Do you make excuses for why you can't reach that note on this guitar but you can at home on your 'real' guitars?

My vote would be my 1998 Seagull S-6 cedar. I think I paid $100 for it in 2006. I don't think the B string has EVER been in tune and the neck is twisting but otherwise it plays fine and has the thump of an old J45 with dead 13's.

I remember your Applause obsession waaay back in the day...amazing that you ended up with 65 of 'em!!

Archived