Gibson Brands Forums

I Love My Jr

robertscott

There's probably a million threads about these but I don't care! I love it enough to start a thread all of its own.

Picked up a 2009 Les Paul Jr. You read everywhere about how modern Gibsons aren't as good and blah blah blah. To those naysayers I say - come to my house and play my 2009 Les Paul Jr!

I've always wanted a Jr ever since I saw Billie Corgan with one back when I was a kid, but the only times I've seen them for sale they've either been the models with 2 pickups (which I'm not into; they're nowhere near as cool) or have had that appalling Les Paul signature on the headstock. You know the one; the one that looks like it's been drawn on with a sharpie. Bleurgh.

Anyway, picked up a second hand 2009 Jr super cheap and I honestly think it might be the best guitar I've ever played.

The grunt from the P90 is absolutely brutal, and exactly the sort of tone I was looking for. I play a lot of gutsy classic rock/blues stuff in a 3 piece and the guitar has the thickness and power to really kick some *** but the clarity to sing even when the gain is high. I've had les paul standards with the 490/498 (which I do think is my favourite humbucker combo) and other Gibbos with much hotter pickups but nothing has had the combination of aggression and melody the Jr has.

And my favourite thing about is it's not pretty. It's a workhorse. I could gig with it in the seediest, dingiest dive bar with spit and sawdust on the floor and not worry about dings and scratches as they'd all just add to the character. You can't say that about a Les Paul Custom with a quilted top!

So yeah. Everyone should own one of these. It's an absolute powerhouse.

And my favourite thing about is it's not pretty. It's a workhorse. I could gig with it in the seediest, dingiest dive bar with spit and sawdust on the floor and not worry about dings and scratches as they'd all just add to the character. You can't say that about a Les Paul Custom with a quilted top!

ahh yes, there aint nothing quite like the smell of stale dried beer when you open up that case for the first time the next morning!

Sweet!

[thumbup]

Nice LP, underestimated guitar, 2009 was a good year for them, also they came out with the Billy Joe Armstrong Jr in 2009.

There has always been a interplay with bare bones Gibsons and their highly appointed offerings. No different now than the 60s. When I started taking lessons in the 60s my instructor played a 56 and taught with it. Consequently I played the guitar often while I played a Gretsch of my own. Gibson does a slam up job and always has with their entry level electrics. Course they are much more versatile than most assume also and can go from clean to overdriven quite well which surprised me first time playing them. I knew they did clean well because thats how we were playing, but the over driven was stunning frankly.

Archived