Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Lucille wiring problem

My Lucille has a problem with how the Varitone/stereo is wired up.

There's two input jacks and when I use the lowest jack the Varitone and bridge controls work perfectly. The neck pick up is inoperable.

When I use the top jack the bridge pick up volume knob works like a half assed tone control, the neck pick up works perfectly.

There's a wire hooked up wrong but I don't know which it is.

After poking around a bit, maybe what I really need is some advice on stereo to mono cables/boxes to use this guitar properly with a single amp.

Hmmm, with mine, the bottom jack is mono, and the Varitone, and Both pickups work, as with any other mono guitar.

A stereo, or "split" cord is needed to use the upper input correctly. IF you're saying that a mono cord, into the lower mono

jack, still doesn't give you all access, to both pickups, and Varitone use, there's something "amiss!" I'd take

it to a good Luthier, along with the proper schematic, and have him check it out. Unless, you are very familiar

with electronics schematics, and can do the trouble shooting/repair yourself.

Good Luck, Steve...hope you find the problem and get it resolved!

CB

The more I mess around with plugging the cord in half way into the jacks the more convinced I am that this one is wired for stereo only.

Retired said that he tried one and couldn't get things to work properly, I wonder if he didn't get one wired without mono capability as well.

The more I mess around with plugging the cord in half way into the jacks the more convinced I am that this one is wired for stereo only.

Retired said that he tried one and couldn't get things to work properly, I wonder if he didn't get one wired without mono capability as well.

Interesting! :-k I've owned my Lucille since 2002, and previously I owned a ES-355 Stereo (1968 model), and my "Lucille" works

identically, to my old '68 ES-355 Stereo. So, either Gibson changed "spec's" that way (which they've been known to do), or

previous owners, changed things around, themselves? Was your's purchased new, or used? Was the one that "Retired" played,

a new one, or used? Even my Ric's, which are "Stereo," have a mono plug, as well. So...??? [unsure]

CB

Archived