Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar- nut slightly uneven

Nate Henderson

I just purchased a 2016 les paul traditional and I noticed that the nut is slightly higher on the bass side than the treble side. Is this normal? I'm thinking it might have to do with the difference in string size, with the larger gauge strings needing more clearance, but I'm not sure.

A photo would be really helpful to see exactly how it is set.

Do you mean that the entire nut (from the base set between the neck and headstock) is on an angle? Or just the slots are shallower on the bass side (allowing clearance for larger diameter bass strings) than on the treble side?

On my LP the top of the nut is curved slightly and the bass side is higher than the treble side. I am thinking that yours is entirely normal, but without actually seeing it, hard to tell.

Hard to say with just the photo,,

but it kind of looks "normal"..

I think the only way to really know if it's TOO high for those strings, is to measure the distance from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret. a set of feeler gauges (that have been cleaned up to remove the lubricant a bit) usually does the trick,

Nate: for what it's worth, I had a look at my Epi LP (I also own a Gibson V, meaning my opinion is valid... Jk...), and... I'll be darned. The nut is lower on the treble side, just like in your pics.

My advice is, if it plays well, don't worry about it. If you ever need a replacement, then a new nut is pretty cheap to have installed. But if it plays like it should, why would you?

Happy playing, and congrats on your new guitar.

Nate: for what it's worth, I had a look at my Epi LP (I also own a Gibson V, meaning my opinion is valid... Jk...), and... I'll be darned. The nut is lower on the treble side, just like in your pics.

My advice is, if it plays well, don't worry about it. If you ever need a replacement, then a new nut is pretty cheap to have installed. But if it plays like it should, why would you?

Happy playing, and congrats on your new guitar.

it's the Distance from the bottom of the string, to the top of the fret crown across all strings that matters.

Eye-balling this from the top down, the thicker bass strings are going to look weird but they are probably close to require specs in relation to where they ride in terms of the gap over the fret.

Archived