Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Blues Custom 30 tubes

I just purchased an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 amp and am looking for suggestions on tubes. I replaced the Sovtek 5881s with a set of RSD 6L6GC (Rohren Von Weltruf) that I had on hand and that improved the sound considerably. Anyone have suggestions for the preamp section?

Thank You

• 2 months later...

I just purchased an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 amp and am looking for suggestions on tubes. I replaced the Sovtek 5881s with a set of RSD 6L6GC (Rohren Von Weltruf) that I had on hand and that improved the sound considerably. Anyone have suggestions for the preamp section?

Thank You

I have EHX 12AX7s in mine but since I've also replaced the speakers with some vintage 70s Celestions it would be hard to make a direct comparison. Tone is so subjective that any suggestion is simply hand-waving, finger in the air stuff.

What sort of tone are you aiming for? As I recall the Sovteks tend to be a little on the harsh side. I've seen recommendations for the Tung Sol tubes in BC30s so there's another avenue to explore.

In fact there's even a complete Tung Sol set aimed specifically at the BC30 available on a certain well known auction site.

• 3 months later...

Thank You

I have JJ's in my Fender Deluxe clone. They are not too harsh and so far have been faultless. (4 years). I guess the ideal selection would be NOS Mullards or RCA,s, if you have the cash....

Archived