Gibson Guitar Board: Epiphone Blues Custom 30 tubes - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epiphone Blues Custom 30 tubes What tubes work well in this amp

#1 User is offline   black70bird 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

I just purchased an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 amp and am looking for suggestions on tubes. I replaced the Sovtek 5881s with a set of RSD 6L6GC (Rohren Von Weltruf) that I had on hand and that improved the sound considerably. Anyone have suggestions for the preamp section?

Thank You

#2 User is offline   snowblind 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:53 AM

View Postblack70bird, on 06 July 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

I just purchased an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 amp and am looking for suggestions on tubes. I replaced the Sovtek 5881s with a set of RSD 6L6GC (Rohren Von Weltruf) that I had on hand and that improved the sound considerably. Anyone have suggestions for the preamp section?

Thank You

I have EHX 12AX7s in mine but since I've also replaced the speakers with some vintage 70s Celestions it would be hard to make a direct comparison. Tone is so subjective that any suggestion is simply hand-waving, finger in the air stuff.

What sort of tone are you aiming for? As I recall the Sovteks tend to be a little on the harsh side. I've seen recommendations for the Tung Sol tubes in BC30s so there's another avenue to explore.

In fact there's even a complete Tung Sol set aimed specifically at the BC30 available on a certain well known auction site.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users