Gibson Brands Forums

Stand or Sit?

Buc McMaster

The stage at one of the open mic venues I did sometime back was a cluttered mess........too many mic stands, chairs and stools all about, drum kit pushed forward, a silly fan on the front edge......looked like a yard sale. I much, much prefer to stand when I play but it would have taken a moving crew to clear a spot so I sat, against my better judgement, and my performance suffered for it. Acceptable, I suppose, but not up to standard, and that's my bad as I should be able to do what I do whether standing or sitting. It's a mental issue as much as anything else, though I do think I breathe better and it's easier for me to get in the swing of things when I'm upright........free to move a bit if the mood strikes.

And so it seems there are those that do their best work on their feet and others than prefer to be parked on a chair. Just for curiosity's' sake, which are you...........or does it not much matter to you? :-k

Quote Woody Allen: "The only thing you can be sure about in show business is that you are never going to be sure!"

Ideally, it would be best to do what you practice at home or all the angles feel wrong. I sit these days as it is dangerous to the health of my guitar to move in any direction in my little music room, so I like to sit with electronics, slides, tuner and controls on another chair, table or stool next to me.

BluesKing777.

I've done both and really don't have a real preference. Thing is, when my knees started going bad, I reverted to pretty much sitting. Now that they've been replaced, I could stand OK - but have developed the sitting habit.

I always prefer to stand--like to feel and use the energy coming up through my feet. Always know where the guitar will be. I have been known to sit, but almost always with the J100. It fits my lap more comfortably than does the J45.

At home, I make sure I stand and go through my likely choices at least once, but otherwise, I'm a couch sitter when at home.

(Sorry, but when I read the title, I hadda wonder what kind of mischief you guys were starting up now...😋)

Both. I have a lower back pain, so sitting is important as when i stand the lower back pain would influence my vocals. But that has improved now and these days i do some gig standing and some sitting. Overall i probably prefer standing as it allows me to move aroound a bit more and get into the ...groove.

Just bought my first ever strap this week

As I stated in another thread that went on a tangent I always sit when I play but I drift into my own little world when playing out and can suddenly catch myself on sitting tensed up

I don't have the world's fittest back so I'm hoping that using a strap even when sitting will help. Even if it's just a 'string round the finger' item that reminds me to relax it'll help

Where I play is look silly standing up as it's just a small pub , no stage or anything , not super busy , so I'm just one of the punters dining a few songs

But at least now I have a strap to do it standing up if I wanna

With the acoustics and jazz-box I always play seated but with the electrics I always play standing.

My right arm position doesn't feel 100% comfortable playing whilst standing with the larger- and deeper-bodied guitars for some reason.

I don't sing so, happily, the diaphragm thing isn't an issue.

Pip.

I prefer to sit with acoustics, stand with electrics. Tall barstools just looks right, more laid back, and I/we always do some story telling and it simply wouldn't work standing. I've only done a few dozen live "shows / gigs" acoustically but when I do.....

I prefer to sit.

Watching Lauren Alaina do a live Friday Morning Concert on Fox. She's a CW singer who was runner up on American Idol a few years ago.

The guitar guys in the band don't just stand - they dance. Like most 'pop' Country Western groups, they sway back and forth, move their feet in little dance steps, and shake their heads,, big grins. With their guitars strapped down around their belts in positions so low, I could never fret a bar chord.

So - I think the question should be 'Do you Stand, Sit, or Dance? "

I don't gig - so I prefer to sit on a couch and try to keep the guitar perched in a comfortable position.

When I play with my wife on stage, we mostly stand. But we have a mixed marriage in so many ways, and this is no different. I like to stand but she likes to sit -- and she is a STANDUP BASS player. My wife is so special in so many ways.

We have occasionally done shows sitting down -- when it was just the two of us or maybe with a single sideman. Here is one from a few years ago.

aszhw1z.jpg

We like to perform on a single condenser mic when the situation allows. For that, you pretty much have to be mobile -- depending how many musicians you have working the mic, that often more like dancing than playing music. Standing is required.

I guess it is fair to say we do what we think is best for the music at any particular time and place. The guy who played lead guitar with us for the past several years is legally blind. He can still see some, but his mobility is limited. He is a great musician -- played the GOO a lot in his day and he is magic on stage. He worried about appearances some for awhile, but we decided that was just silly. So he sits while the rest of the band stands.

kOvns1T.jpg

Also my Daughter's band-mate in her Appalachian duo, DEAD GIRL SONGS -- has MD and is in a wheelchair. The only configuration that makes sense for then is sitting close together. When they are backed by a bluegrass configuration (often), the rest of the band stands. It works fine!

Best,

-Tom

I can do either and sometimes, it just depends upon the room or what kind of mood I'm in. If you're in a setting where you need to command attention, such as a noisy bar, then stand. If you're playing bluegrass, stand. You need that standing presence. If I'm in a listening room-type environment, then I'll generally sit. My wife prefers I sit because she fears my pants will fall down. Let's just say her fears are based on past events....

I have more "energy" when I stand. When I sit, that energy seems concentrated in my fingers so I wind up playing better guitar sitting down. Or at least I think I do. Every performer has to arrive at their best self, but part of that equation is accounting for where you are playing, the audience, etc.

I've never liked bar stools. Maybe my butt is just too big or the seat's too small, but I always feel like I will topple over or slide off. And if you feel uncomfortable, you're not going to do well.

For me, it depends on the venue. Tomorrow I will play outdoors at a Market that has a big amphitheater (for larger events they will have bands that can have as many 12 members) shell stage and I will stand. To sit there would feel like I'm a little mouse in a stadium. The next day I will play a duo show at a restaurant that has a raised stage (about two feet off the ground) and we will both sit. If we stood there it would feel a bit like we were towering over the diners.

I got to play a nice night club last month opening for a touring bluegrass/folk band and I stood because they had a very proper stage set back in the room (this was more of a real music venue as opposed to a small bar that happens to have music).

I'm thinking with my venues it is about 2:1 with sitting being the 2.

I find this thread interesting. I like hearing everyone's experiences. Thanks, Buc!

For a gig I prefer to stand for electric or acoustic. My back isn't pristine but I can do a 2-hour set wearing a 7# guitar with no real problem. Some posture stuff between songs + a tall stool to lean back on as needed help. I do sing better standing.

At home I stand with electric but often sit with acoustic while the TV is on.

I can do either and sometimes, it just depends upon the room or what kind of mood I'm in. If you're in a setting where you need to command attention, such as a noisy bar, then stand. If you're playing bluegrass, stand. You need that standing presence. If I'm in a listening room-type environment, then I'll generally sit. My wife prefers I sit because she fears my pants will fall down. Let's just say her fears are based on past events....

I have more "energy" when I stand. When I sit, that energy seems concentrated in my fingers so I wind up playing better guitar sitting down. Or at least I think I do. Every performer has to arrive at their best self, but part of that equation is accounting for where you are playing, the audience, etc.

I've never liked bar stools. Maybe my butt is just too big or the seat's too small, but I always feel like I will topple over or slide off. And if you feel uncomfortable, you're not going to do well.

Just caught the pants falling down remark. Fine way to end a set, but not so good if you have to keep playing! I used to not wear a belt for the sake of avoiding buckle rash on the guitar's back - then, one night, well...😄😨😰

Archived