Gibson Brands Forums

SoundCloud is in trouble

Boyd

I have never used them, but this doesn't sound good. I wonder if they will soon join all the broken PhotoBucket links. ;)

https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/07/soundcloud-cuts-nearly-half-of-its-staff-in-order-to-stay-afloat/

SoundCloud announced Thursday that it would be closing its San Francisco and London offices—firing 173 employees, or around 40 percent of its staff.

The Berlin-based company has been struggling for years: it reported losses of more than €51 million ($58.1 million) in 2015—losses that have steadily grown since 2010.

In January 2017 financial statements, the company said the losses "give rise to a material uncertainty about the Group's ability to continue as a going concern."

This will be a drag, if it goes down. I had some issues a few years ago with e-mail, but haven't lately.

Soundcloud is an amazing collection of talent, and a lot of it is original, undiscovered gems.

Having said that, there is also a lot of noise, puke, garbage and trash, but this is the same as real life.

And so it goes.

I would think major labels would step up and support such a huge collection of music, if nothing else simply for the research.

I truly hope they find a way through this and can keep it online. Unsigned writers have so few options, even today, to get stuff heard in a World market and Soundcloud works. I get comments from people in the U.K., Germany, France, all over the World on my original songs and have also discovered players and writers I would have NEVER found without it.

I used it a lot, but only just got a problem sorted - Soundcloud kept crashing on the pc and wouldn't even open on the mac and it was really annoying sometimes.

What I did to fix, not totally sure, but for something else I downloaded the Google app to my mac a while back and Voila! Soundcloud worked beautifully and Photobucket was almost normal.....

And now it is going west, you think. I will miss it, clunky as it is but it has been an important part of the digital music operation for quite a few years.

What do we have to replace it?

BluesKing777.

As I said, I don't know anything about SoundCloud. But why would a company like that need 432 employees? Even after these drastic cuts, they still have 260 employees (based on that article). And how does that kind of business lose $58 million in one year? There must be more to SoundCloud than I realized...

I used it a lot, but only just got a problem sorted - Soundcloud kept crashing on the pc and wouldn't even open on the mac and it was really annoying sometimes.

What I did to fix, not totally sure, but for something else I downloaded the Google app to my mac a while back and Voila! Soundcloud worked beautifully and Photobucket was almost normal.....

And now it is going west, you think. I will miss it, clunky as it is but it has been an important part of the digital music operation for quite a few years.

What do we have to replace it?

BluesKing777.

I've been using SoundClick for years.

My SoundClick

I've been using SoundClick for years.

My SoundClick

I was a member of Soundclick years ago and just logged in as if nothing had ever happened!

It is problematic with Mac laptop and Ipad and you need to convert everything to MP3! Soundcloud, I just load the AIF file created by iMac GarageBand direct - I have never had anybody say it doesn't play, so I assume Soundie converts it to something playable by all.

Any others? It is a pity Imgur doesn't do sound clips. Or do they?

BluesKing777.

I use Sounccloud a lot, and I've never had any technical issues. There is however one thing that bothers me, and it does not really have to do with Soundcloud per se. I tend to post a lot of tracks. I post tracks so I can listen to my own performances to find out the weak spots. I post a track, listen to it for a day or two, then delete it and put a new version up, and then repeat. Everytime I post a track I get notifications from complete strangers "liking" my track (although it is most certainly complete crap). Some even download or repost my stuff. When I go look at these peoples front page, more often than not I find a good looking girl with minimal clothing. Never do these people post any tracks of their own. They obviously have no interest in what I'm doing. What is their motivation? Anybody know?

I like Soundcloud. Maybe we should all start paying for the service...I will go fing out right now how much it cost and what I get...

Lars

Lars... those are robots. they send messages too. When you interact with them they can put spyware on your computer and steal stuff.

I have been getting tons of it lately, and in fact deleted my SC acct.

If anyone knows a good sharing site thats easy to use with staying power pls let me know. My goal is not likes and fame and fortune. I just want people i share the link with to see it. Not the world.

Lately I have been using youtube to accomplish the same.

Most good looking girls with minimal clothing who approach you are robots. And they usually want to steal stuff.

There are exceptions.

Like that girl on Van Buren in Phoenix that time.

Wait....

Robots?

They must be saying "Warning, Warning! Run for it, Will Robinson!"

Are the pretty girls on Soundcloud 'followers' robots too?

Check out my follower! Why do you think I keep posting tunes so much? Wowie.... [flapper]

BluesKing777.

Robots?

They must be saying "Warning, Warning! Run for it, Will Robinson!"

Are the pretty girls on Soundcloud 'followers' robots too?

Check out my follower! Why do you think I keep posting tunes so much? Wowie.... [flapper]

BluesKing777.

Yep, recognize her. She just looooooves my minor key acoustic folk songs in Swedish, with most of the singing out of tune. Yes, I'd say she is a real fan [biggrin]

Lars

Yep, recognize her. She just looooooves my minor key acoustic folk songs in Swedish, with most of the singing out of tune. Yes, I'd say she is a real fan [biggrin]

Lars

Awwww, is she fake?

I have brushing up on my solo version of the Batman theme.

BluesKing777.

He11, they have robots and narcs all over YouTube, too.

I've discovered some really good writers and musicians at Soundcloud and think most of the likes and such are legit. When other writers/musicians take the time to comment on a work it means more to me, and you can check them out with a click and most have their own music, although SOME are just there to listen.

If no one listened, we'd be weirder than we already are.....

• 1 month later...

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/08/embattled-soundcloud-gets-170-million-lifeline-new-ceo/

The struggling audio-hosting startup SoundCloud has secured a financial lifeline, with two investors putting up almost $170 million to help the company stay afloat, according to Billboard. As part of the deal, SoundCloud will get a new CEO

+ + + + + + +

Until this deal, it looked like SoundCloud could be forced to shut its doors before the end of the year. The new funding will give the company at least a couple more years to figure out how to become a profitable business.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/08/embattled-soundcloud-gets-170-million-lifeline-new-ceo/

The struggling audio-hosting startup SoundCloud has secured a financial lifeline, with two investors putting up almost $170 million to help the company stay afloat, according to Billboard. As part of the deal, SoundCloud will get a new CEO

+ + + + + + +

Until this deal, it looked like SoundCloud could be forced to shut its doors before the end of the year. The new funding will give the company at least a couple more years to figure out how to become a profitable business.

I hope it makes it, it's a great resource.

Archived