Gibson Brands Forums

So I joined the Bob Colosi cult....

dhanners623

Just got my J-35 back from the shop after having them install a Bob Colosi "aged bone" saddle and all I can say is, "Wow!" It was a darn-nice guitar to begin with, but it is definitely louder and more defined now. There is a VERY noticeable improvement.

Yes, I know Colosi packs the saddle blanks with detailed and allegedly fool-proof instructions, but I decided to have the folks at St. Paul Guitar Repair (they all used to work in Charlie Hoffman's shop in Minneapolis) do the work because I figured I'm only in the States for a few weeks and if there's a way to screw it up, I'll find it. The repairman who did the work, Kevin Schwab, said aside from Colosi's saddle being better material than Tusq, the stock saddle was too thin for the slot and was actually leaning forward. It's bottom wasn't flat on the bottom of the saddle slot. (He said they've seen some Gibsons out of Montana with super-high saddles installed in an attempt to mitigate necks installed at the wrong angle. The force of the strings pushed the saddles forward, actually splitting the bridge.)

Anyway, I've been playing the thing for awhile and there IS a difference, for the better. I know we have debates here now and again about replacing stock parts and I am of the belief you can buy a good guitar but still make it better. Granted, some upgrades deliver more bang for the buck than others, but this was money well spent. Between the improvement in material and the discovery that the stock saddle was too thin for its slot, I am glad I upgraded to a Colosi saddle.

Good to hear the Colosi saddle is thicker. My J-15 is suffering the same issue - slightly too skinny for the slot. While mine is not leaning to the naked eye, it's still something I want to deal with. I am still not sure if I want to try my hand at making my own saddle or buying a pre-made one from Colosi or one of the other saddle peddlers on the web.

Just got my J-35 back from the shop after having them install a Bob Colosi "aged bone" saddle and all I can say is, "Wow!" It was a darn-nice guitar to begin with, but it is definitely louder and more defined now. There is a VERY noticeable improvement.

Yes, I know Colosi packs the saddle blanks with detailed and allegedly fool-proof instructions, but I decided to have the folks at St. Paul Guitar Repair (they all used to work in Charlie Hoffman's shop in Minneapolis) do the work because I figured I'm only in the States for a few weeks and if there's a way to screw it up, I'll find it. The repairman who did the work, Kevin Schwab, said aside from Colosi's saddle being better material than Tusq, the stock saddle was too thin for the slot and was actually leaning forward. It's bottom wasn't flat on the bottom of the saddle slot. (He said they've seen some Gibsons out of Montana with super-high saddles installed in an attempt to mitigate necks installed at the wrong angle. The force of the strings pushed the saddles forward, actually splitting the bridge.)

Anyway, I've been playing the thing for awhile and there IS a difference, for the better. I know we have debates here now and again about replacing stock parts and I am of the belief you can buy a good guitar but still make it better. Granted, some upgrades deliver more bang for the buck than others, but this was money well spent. Between the improvement in material and the discovery that the stock saddle was too thin for its slot, I am glad I upgraded to a Colosi saddle.

Thank you for this bit of information, I have this filed away for future use/My new J-15 is but a few months old. I will be changing the strings soon so at that time I will check the saddle to learn its'fit and check the bridge at that same opportunity.

dhanner623:

Just out of curiosity, could you tell us specifically WHAT changes in tone you are hearing? I ask because I have a new J-45 Standard with a TUSQ saddle, too, and have been contemplating getting a Colosi vintage bone saddle for my J-45 and having my luthier install it for me.....IF the Colosi Bone saddle can give me a bigger, rounder, tighter bottom-end and more clarity and better harmonics, overall........

So any specific comments you have would be most welcomed.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance!

dhanner623:

Just out of curiosity, could you tell us specifically WHAT changes in tone you are hearing? I ask because I have a new J-45 Standard with a TUSQ saddle, too, and have been contemplating getting a Colosi vintage bone saddle for my J-45 and having my luthier install it for me.....IF the Colosi Bone saddle can give me a bigger, rounder, tighter bottom-end and more clarity and better harmonics, overall........

So any specific comments you have would be most welcomed.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance!

I'm never good at describing sounds. The sound now just seems more solid. Louder, certainly. Crisper. It seems easier to hear each string. This guitar was no slouch to begin with, but the sound is now even fuller. For lack of a better description, it seems more focused.

Curious how many string changes you did on your J35? I'm not the most observant or hyper-pricy, but I thin if my saddle were loose I'd notice. At least loose enough to fall out while I was looking for my string winder.

Probably changed strings six or seven times since last summer, but I change strings one at a time. I never take them all off at once.

Archived