Gibson Brands Forums

Saturday song (SOW?)

AnneS

Remember the various iterations of Song of the Week? Anyone up for a revival?

I'll start:

Tecumseh Valley

Every now and again I become re-obsessed with this song, so I pressed "record" while practicing, and it turned out alright.

. If you're a Townes fan, you probably should get this one under your belt if you haven't already. It gets in you. I don't know what makes it so satisfying...

Anyway, if anyone is up to posting (or reposting) your own takes, please do. (BBG, I think you offered this one before--how about a link, or even a re-do, if you like?)

(Buc, if I did videos, I'd even revive your signature coffee cup lift. [sneaky])

Well done, Anne! Townes wrote some good stuff, but in general he's a bit too melancholy for my tastes........reckon that comes from his observations of hard livin' and not seeming to take a look at much else.. And it's one of those damnable fingerpickin' things too! Well, I'll kick it around a bit with a pick and see what comes of it. It is nice to see one of these s-o-w threads come along now and then.......good idea!

Yes I know. I was just complementing Anne for a job well done

So I won then!?! ;) :)

I would love to hear you do this one, Keith. (And, thank you...)

Bring it, all y'all!

I probably should not post this. I spent an hour trying to learn the song. Don't know if a year would help...or ten...but by then this thread would be gone...

I'm a little leaguer among pros here, so it is with throat exposed and bare hands in the air that I post this. If you cringe easily, the stay way.

Lars

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/tecumseh-valley

Certainly no offense to the memory of Mr. Van Zant but this just ain't my kinda tune. I'll admit not having spent much time listening to his catalog but what I have heard seems like music to slit your wrists to...........I guess he just lived a bummer life and couldn't (or wouldn't) see beyond his circumstances. Anyway........I do like forum participation things so here's mine, warts and all. Read the lyrics rather than commit them to memory since this one ain't gonna make my set list.......and I'm done with it. Y'all fingerpickers can better serve this kind of tune anyways.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssLdrmueitE

I probably should not post this. I spent an hour trying to learn the song. Don't know if a year would help...or ten...but by then this thread would be gone...

I'm a little leaguer among pros here, so it is with throat exposed and bare hands in the air that I post this. If you cringe easily, the stay way.

Lars

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/tecumseh-valley

Lars, you've gone a bit too free range on that melody.You need to herd those chickens back.They're all over the farmyard.There's a couple up a tree! [biggrin] .I think you still need time to work on things.You've been making good progress recently- but not that one.

Lars, you've gone a bit too free range on that melody.You need to herd those chickens back.They're all over the farmyard.There's a couple up a tree! [biggrin] .I think you still need time to work on things.You've been making good progress recently- but not that one.

Thanks fb! I took the song down. I guess I wanted a little too badly to participate. I just can't do what you guys and gals do. I'll see if I can find those stray chickens and bolt the door on the hen house [biggrin]

Lars

By the way, Tecumseh Valley is in my all time top ten list. The version on Live at the Old Quarter is stunningly good. I'm a sucker for melancholy stuff.

Lars- I missed yours, but not everyone can learn a song and do it to the caliber of Buc and John here. (But as a TVZ fan, you should spend whatever time it takes to make it your own, imo.)

Buc and John- crazy to think you just learned it. Really enjoyed these!! Love how this song allows for the artist to inhabit its lines but stays intact, of its own identity.

Just lovely, Sal!! Bravo!

(I record into Audacity with my H2N, first the guitar, which I compress a wee bit, then the vocal track, which I then duplicate and add some reverb. Mix until ready. Glad you like. 😉)

Thanks again Anne for a suitable SOW.Good to see some take it up. Buc for someone a bit unconvinced on the original song I particularly liked your version-guitar sounds A1. Doesn't have to be picked.I found a version where TVZ strums it live.

Sal every song you do these days gets nailed.Well done old chap.

Crikey

You two sitting waiting ??

Two attempts at upload on YouTube taking a dogs age

So I went to Vimeo for a change

Think I'll use it from now on

It's much cooler 😄

The hat was a birthday present as my last one fell apart

Hasn't been off my head since I got it

And thanks chaps for the listen

Archived