Gibson Guitar Board: VJ - Video - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

VJ - Video Adding Video

#1 User is offline   TheSundog 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

I began with 2 large screen monitors and HDMI. It's gotten complicated from there. First, I wonder what other DJ's are doing with video? HOW? I need to add a video mixer to get done what I want to. Many of the video additions require special Video cards - available as desktop computer additions but how for a laptop? It gets dense. I want to add a video "wall" behind my set. I can dream up all kinds of things to do with a couple of big screens and a wall but HOW do I accomplish what I want?

IS anybody else out there in Deckadanceland wrestling with video ordeals?

I thought that perhaps a way to trigger video might be FROM Deckadance but that would just hose the interface. Instead, a separate MIDI controller makes more sense to me but I still need an editor. Now, I use Sony video software (Vegas Studio) but that does not do what I need; control over all my sources (video, computer output, video game console output) and all my destinations (each screen, wall or individual segment of wall). What are people using out there??

Can 'O worms. Thanks!!

#2 User is offline   TheMoroney 

• LocationUSA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

Personally, when I have tried this sort of thing in the past, I have used a custom built desktop with 2 AMD RADEON graphics cards to do video out put. The problem with most modern laptops, is that most of the ones I have found can only do 2 video outputs at once (the laptop display and an external one). The only way I could think of doing this is with a few sabrent usb to hdmi adapters. There are multiple problems with this however. To start with, you end up using precious usb ports, and I am not sure what resolution the video wall uses but the sabrent have a max resolution of 20481152.
Personally, when I have tried this sort of thing in the past, I have used a custom built desktop with 2 AMD RADEON graphics cards to do video output, 2 screens for just monitoring the audio (more on that in a second), one for a video monitor, and one for facing the audience and doing the visual output. After the hardware is taken into account, this is where things get complicated. FL studio has something called zgamevisualizer built into it. It runs visualizations including custom videos. you then load it on a send bus in the fl studio mixer and bring up deckadance as a VST. From there, you can run deckadance from with in fl studio, and control the visuals by linking zgamevisualizer to the midi controller of your choice. It sounds complicated but when it works, it is an awesome thing to see.
Guest Script Writer
Author of the Numark DJ2GO script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Author of the Numark Orbit script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Author of the updated version of the script for the M-Audio Xponent (included in 2.72)
Author of the Akai APK Mini script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Author of the Numark Mixtrack 3 script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Deckadance user since 2014
FL Studio user since 2013

#3 User is offline   TheSundog 

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

View PostTheMoroney, on 08 July 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

Personally, when I have tried this sort of thing in the past, I have used a custom built desktop with 2 AMD RADEON graphics cards to do video out put. The problem with most modern laptops, is that most of the ones I have found can only do 2 video outputs at once (the laptop display and an external one). The only way I could think of doing this is with a few sabrent usb to hdmi adapters. There are multiple problems with this however. To start with, you end up using precious usb ports, and I am not sure what resolution the video wall uses but the sabrent have a max resolution of 2048×1152.
Personally, when I have tried this sort of thing in the past, I have used a custom built desktop with 2 AMD RADEON graphics cards to do video output, 2 screens for just monitoring the audio (more on that in a second), one for a video monitor, and one for facing the audience and doing the visual output. After the hardware is taken into account, this is where things get complicated. FL studio has something called zgamevisualizer built into it. It runs visualizations including custom videos. you then load it on a send bus in the fl studio mixer and bring up deckadance as a VST. From there, you can run deckadance from with in fl studio, and control the visuals by linking zgamevisualizer to the midi controller of your choice. It sounds complicated but when it works, it is an awesome thing to see.

Thanks for the valuable input. Video is a little daunting. I'm thinking what I need to do is simply build a new box JUST for the show. Something that will allow me to use the cards that will get the job done. Most of the stuff I shlep is hunky and heavy so building and adding a desktop computer is not such a big deal. Like you mention, the laptops are too limited to accommodate the hardware you need.

I'm a way old time Cubase user - I started with it on the Atari ST. FL Studio is very slick. I have thought about using my DAW to do what needs doing but I'd have to change an awful lot of stuff.

Visulaizer? Like Geiss? I run a few computer generated shows but what people are asking me for are music videos. MTV. Yikes!

I like your thoughts on using DD as a Plugin. THAT would be handy. Do you have any issues with it??

Thanks again.

DJSundog

#4 User is offline   TheMoroney 

• LocationUSA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

View PostTheSundog, on 09 July 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Thanks for the valuable input. Video is a little daunting. I'm thinking what I need to do is simply build a new box JUST for the show. Something that will allow me to use the cards that will get the job done. Most of the stuff I shlep is hunky and heavy so building and adding a desktop computer is not such a big deal. Like you mention, the laptops are too limited to accommodate the hardware you need.

I'm a way old time Cubase user - I started with it on the Atari ST. FL Studio is very slick. I have thought about using my DAW to do what needs doing but I'd have to change an awful lot of stuff.

Visulaizer? Like Geiss? I run a few computer generated shows but what people are asking me for are music videos. MTV. Yikes!

I like your thoughts on using DD as a Plugin. THAT would be handy. Do you have any issues with it??

Thanks again.

DJSundog

Not as long as i have enough ram and a powerfull enough processor.
Guest Script Writer
Author of the Numark DJ2GO script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Author of the Numark Orbit script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Author of the updated version of the script for the M-Audio Xponent (included in 2.72)
Author of the Akai APK Mini script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Author of the Numark Mixtrack 3 script for Deckadance (included in 2.72)
Deckadance user since 2014
FL Studio user since 2013

#5 User is offline   BeatJacker 

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostTheSundog, on 08 July 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

I began with 2 large screen monitors and HDMI. It's gotten complicated from there. First, I wonder what other DJ's are doing with video? HOW? I need to add a video mixer to get done what I want to. Many of the video additions require special Video cards - available as desktop computer additions but how for a laptop? It gets dense. I want to add a video "wall" behind my set. I can dream up all kinds of things to do with a couple of big screens and a wall but HOW do I accomplish what I want?

IS anybody else out there in Deckadanceland wrestling with video ordeals?

I thought that perhaps a way to trigger video might be FROM Deckadance but that would just hose the interface. Instead, a separate MIDI controller makes more sense to me but I still need an editor. Now, I use Sony video software (Vegas Studio) but that does not do what I need; control over all my sources (video, computer output, video game console output) and all my destinations (each screen, wall or individual segment of wall). What are people using out there??

Can 'O worms. Thanks!!

The way the pros do it, and you should too:
1. Make a separate desktop computer, call it your video PC. If physical space is a concern, make it in an ITX case (size of a shoebox). Add one or two medium-high end graphics cards costing at least $100 each, with at least 1GB - 2GB ram each, for 3D effects.. Add your music videos to it.
2. You need to send either MIDI Time Code (MTC - start, stop, song select, bar, beat, tick) or SMPTE Time Code (start stop hours minutes second frame) from your DD DJ setup, to the video PC, over MIDI cable, or over Ethernet cat 5 cable.
3. Right now, as far as I'm aware, DD is NOT able to send MTC or SMTPE time code, out to external devices such as your video PC. So you may need to use a separate app on your DD DJ setup to send out the time code, so that the video PC plays video in sync with your DD DJ setup. Maybe Luis could shed some light on this feature.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users