Gibson Brands Forums

Bayou Boy stuck in the Artic Tundra

I've been playing since the 80's, but still have the proficiency of a beginner...I finally found a used SG in my price range(it'd been a dream of mine since I was a teen)...my young bride decided to start playing again and I'm trying to give her a refresher course(which is hilarious considering my playing level)...I'd love to find an exact replacement of her Flying V that she bought new during the 90's...she's having to make due with an old Squier Strat(unfortunate, but the only extra guitar I had with a slimmer, more narrow neck like her Flying V(which I didn't think would be on any Gibson, not that I've heard of anyway)...I'll post a pic similar to hers with a detailed script later(it's gonna be a fun one to find)...I figured if anyone can help me with this quest, I'd be ya'll...with some luck, she'll be cranking out some Iron Maiden again(oh yeah baby!!!!!!!)

....I'd love to find an exact replacement of her Flying V that she bought new during the 90's...

It's a quest! And everyone here loves to help spend other people's money! Help should be along promptly. Good luck in your quest and welcome to the boards!

It's a quest! And everyone here loves to help spend other people's money! Help should be along promptly. Good luck in your quest and welcome to the boards!

...thanks Cougar for your warm welcome (and funny at that...still laughing at the moment)...it's gonna be a helluva quest, but for my girl, it's worth it...this place is freakin' awesome!!!!!

...I'd forgotten to put the description of the "holy grail" here...I'd posted something similar on the vintage forum...my wife's flying v...she'd bought it new sometime in the 1990's...no earlier than '91 or later than '96 I believe...in the photo, it looked like the one on the far left, but with the following exceptions: the finish on the body, the headstock and the back of the neck was black with dark blue flecks (sparkles?)...all the plastic bits were black...(the pickguard, volume and tone knobs (bell shaped by the way), tremolo arm knob, the selector switch knob, as well as the two uncovered humbucker pickups and truss rod cover)...the hardware was chrome and the Gibson script on the headstock was gold (we think)...and the fret markers were silver (pearl?) dots...from what she described, the neck must have been more narrow that other Gibsons (at least more than my SG)...I appreciate everyone's patience on my long winded postings here

post-86143-019175100 1499620744_thumb.jpeg

Welcome to the forum Chronicargonaut. msp_thumbup.gif Glad to have you here too. I've never owned a Flying V so can't help there but there's many folks here that love them. If you don't get the right folks along as many here don't do the welcomes, get your reguired posts in and go to the Gibson lounge. Think you have to have 12 or 15 posts in and you can post there. That's where the mast majority are. By the way how do you like the Artic tundra? Very cold there and I would love to visit it once before I croak. Lolmsp_flapper.gif

...I'd forgotten to put the description of the "holy grail" here...I'd posted something similar on the vintage forum...my wife's flying v...she'd bought it new sometime in the 1990's...no earlier than '91 or later than '96 I believe...in the photo, it looked like the one on the far left, but with the following exceptions: the finish on the body, the headstock and the back of the neck was black with dark blue flecks (sparkles?)...all the plastic bits were black...(the pickguard, volume and tone knobs (bell shaped by the way), tremolo arm knob, the selector switch knob, as well as the two uncovered humbucker pickups and truss rod cover)...the hardware was chrome and the Gibson script on the headstock was gold (we think)...and the fret markers were silver (pearl?) dots...from what she described, the neck must have been more narrow that other Gibsons (at least more than my SG)...I appreciate everyone's patience on my long winded postings here

I think what you're looking for is a '67 reissue. The '67 V had that type of tremolo on it and some of the reissues had that as well. They seem to be fairly expensive since they were a limited release.

https://reverb.com/item/4376588-gibson-custom-shop-67-flying-v-2005-white-pearl-sparkle?gclid=COymyK6tgdUCFQqRaQodDEgPcQ&pla=1

There's a few for sale: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=gibson+flying+v+67+reissue+for+sale&tbm=shop&spf=1499780359217

I have a 2007 '67 reissue, sort of. Mine doesn't have the whammy bar and is a three pickup version in faded white. It has a fairly thin and narrow neck, fairly light compared to my 81 V. Pictures of mine are to the left. I hope that helps you find what you're looking for. Good luck in your search.

I think what you're looking for is a '67 reissue. The '67 V had that type of tremolo on it and some of the reissues had that as well. They seem to be fairly expensive since they were a limited release.

https://reverb.com/item/4376588-gibson-custom-shop-67-flying-v-2005-white-pearl-sparkle?gclid=COymyK6tgdUCFQqRaQodDEgPcQ&pla=1

There's a few for sale: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=gibson+flying+v+67+reissue+for+sale&tbm=shop&spf=1499780359217

I have a 2007 '67 reissue, sort of. Mine doesn't have the whammy bar and is a three pickup version in faded white. It has a fairly thin and narrow neck, fairly light compared to my 81 V. Pictures of mine are to the left. I hope that helps you find what you're looking for. Good luck in your search.

thanks Michael for the heads up...it's given me a good lead to go on...my web searches are limited (I have dial-up and XP os) so everything is slow as a doodlebug...thans again

Welcome to the forum Chronicargonaut. msp_thumbup.gif Glad to have you here too. I've never owned a Flying V so can't help there but there's many folks here that love them. If you don't get the right folks along as many here don't do the welcomes, get your reguired posts in and go to the Gibson lounge. Think you have to have 12 or 15 posts in and you can post there. That's where the mast majority are. By the way how do you like the Artic tundra? Very cold there and I would love to visit it once before I croak. Lolmsp_flapper.gif

thanks retired...ya'll are about the most friendly and outgoing people I've met on any chat site..as for liking the Artic Tundra (otherwise known as Wisconsin)...it's not a bad little state...the people are very friendly and the area is very beautiful...if you're "thirsty", there are plenty of establishments here for that (how they all stay in business, I don't know)...it may not be Dixie, but I've made my own version of it here in the Northwoods

1500216993[/url]' post='1868802']

thanks retired...ya'll are about the most friendly and outgoing people I've met on any chat site..as for liking the Artic Tundra (otherwise known as Wisconsin)...it's not a bad little state...the people are very friendly and the area is very beautiful...if you're "thirsty", there are plenty of establishments here for that (how they all stay in business, I don't know)...it may not be Dixie, but I've made my own version of it here in the Northwoods

Isn't House on the Rock in Wisconsin? The wife and I visited that way back. We went to the Wisconsin Dells for a week. That House on the Rock was amazing though. Took us over half a day to go through it, there was so much stuff to see.

Archived