Gibson Brands Forums

looking for wife's flying v

chronicargonaut

Hey everyone...just started here and I really need some assistance...trying to find an exact replacement for my wife's flying v...she'd bought it new sometime in the 1990's...no earlier than '91 or later than '96 I believe...in the photo, it looked like the one on the far left, but with the following exceptions: the finish on the body, the headstock and the back of the neck was black with dark blue flecks (sparkles?)...all the plastic bits were black...(the pickguard, volume and tone knobs (bell shaped by the way), tremolo arm knob, the selector switch knob, as well as the two uncovered humbucker pickups and truss rod cover)...the hardware was chrome and the Gibson script on the headstock was gold (we think)...and the fret markers were silver (pearl?) dots...from what she described, the neck must have been more narrow that other Gibsons (at least more than my SG)...I'd greatly appreciate any help in finding one...it would mean a great deal to her.

post-86143-090176500 1499559329_thumb.jpeg

Hey everyone...just started here and I really need some assistance...trying to find an exact replacement for my wife's flying v...she'd bought it new sometime in the 1990's...no earlier than '91 or later than '96 I believe...in the photo, it looked like the one on the far left, but with the following exceptions: the finish on the body, the headstock and the back of the neck was black with dark blue flecks (sparkles?)...all the plastic bits were black...(the pickguard, volume and tone knobs (bell shaped by the way), tremolo arm knob, the selector switch knob, as well as the two uncovered humbucker pickups and truss rod cover)...the hardware was chrome and the Gibson script on the truss rod cover was gold (we think)...and the fret markers were silver (pearl?) dots...from what she described, the neck must have been more narrow that other Gibsons (at least more than my SG)...I'd greatly appreciate any help in finding one...it would mean a great deal to her.

Your best bet on this is to peruse reverb.com and guitar center's websites here in the states. The basic shape is the same on all Vs but finding one with that tremolo and that pick guard in that color with covered pickups will necessitate buying used.

Heck with that. Would she like to upgrade to a '61 Guild 3/4 M20? I'll give her a great deal. Amp not included.

*smile*...I appreciate the offer, but no thank you...it's a beautiful guitar though, and you won't have any problems selling that one...good luck

Your best bet on this is to peruse reverb.com and guitar center's websites here in the states. The basic shape is the same on all Vs but finding one with that tremolo and that pick guard in that color with covered pickups will necessitate buying used.

...thanks for the info...I'll definitely try reverb and guitar center...I figured I'd have to go used...I just wanted to know what kind of model V this was...if I had some specific info to give Gibson, I might could go the Custom Shop...it almost sounds like a heavy metal model of some kind with the all black motif, but the dark blue sparkles in the finish really threw me off...I've never heard of that...she might have bought somebody's rejected custom order for all I know

I think what you're looking for is a '67 reissue. The '67 V had that type of tremolo on it and some of the reissues had that as well. They seem to be fairly expensive since they were a limited release.

https://reverb.com/i...QodDEgPcQ&pla=1

There's a few for sale: https://www.google.c...f=1499780359217

I have a 2007 '67 reissue, sort of. Mine doesn't have the whammy bar and is a three pickup version in faded white. It has a fairly thin and narrow neck, fairly light compared to my 81 V. Pictures of mine are to the left. I hope that helps you find what you're looking for. Good luck in your search.

I'll keep an eye out.

In the meantime, check out Guitar Center's website or Reverb.

A girl with a Flying V, was she in Bennie and the Jets?

thanks Vince...I sure appreciate it...the main prob will be the finish on it...I haven't seen a sparkle finish of any kind on anything since the 70's...as for my girl being in Bennie and the Jets?...well...she's a bit younger than I am...so that reference would fall on deaf ears...I can remember hearing a song on the radio and saying to her that's the group Supertramp...I can still remember her answer...WHO?

I think what you're looking for is a '67 reissue. The '67 V had that type of tremolo on it and some of the reissues had that as well. They seem to be fairly expensive since they were a limited release.

https://reverb.com/i...QodDEgPcQ&pla=1

There's a few for sale: https://www.google.c...f=1499780359217

I have a 2007 '67 reissue, sort of. Mine doesn't have the whammy bar and is a three pickup version in faded white. It has a fairly thin and narrow neck, fairly light compared to my 81 V. Pictures of mine are to the left. I hope that helps you find what you're looking for. Good luck in your search.

...I know it's the same post on the welcome forum, but I had to thank you again Michael...your info is the biggest lead I've got on this quest and I can't thank you enough

All else fails, modify and repaint?

...well...hate to modify an original...might redo one that needs repair...if an exact replacement couldn't be found, I have one other option...I could custom build her one with aftermarket parts...she'd hinted on one with a translucent blue finish with dolphins on it

...well...hate to modify an original...might redo one that needs repair...if a exact replacement couldn't be found,I have one other option...I could custom build her one with aftermarket parts...she'd hinted on one with a translucent blue finish with dolphins on it

That would be really pretty!

...I know it's the same post on the welcome forum, but I had to thank you again Michael...your info is the biggest lead I've got on this quest and I can't thank you enough

My pleasure. I'm glad I could help in some way. I hope you find her that guitar. I love my Les Pauls but I've been partial to Flying V's since I saw Paul Stanley play one in 1976. Good luck in your hunt.

Archived