Gibson Brands Forums

ES 333 Truss Rod

Spudman

I purchased an ES 333 in 2004 and recently had it set up. The individual who set it up pointed out the truss rod seemed somewhat strange and showed me how it slightly presses the truss cover up (won't lay flat). The rod extends pretty far beyond the nut. I will eventually get the guitar to a certified Gibson tech. Is it possible to make enough adjustments to shorten the length of rod that goes beyond the nut and keep the neck straight? Thanks

Something doesn't sound right about that truss rod. I've never seen one that extended very far up past the nut. Does the truss rod still work, is there tension on it and does the neck respond to adjustment? More or less relief depending on if it is tightened or loosened?

The truss rod is the correct length to do it's job when it is installed. You do not want to shorten it just because it sticks out too far up by the nut. Something else is wrong.

Have you been playing the guitar since 2004 or has it just been sitting in the case stored somewhere. What is the action like?

If you are inexperienced at adjusting truss rods, I would get that guitar to a luthier or Gibson authorized service center sooner rather than later. The tension of the strings tuned to pitch without a properly seated truss rod could cause serious damage to the neck.

Thanks for the reply.

I played the guitar off and on since purchase however did something stupid like loosening the strings and putting it away for a period of time. When I finally decided to play it again I put new strings on it and tried to tune the guitar. That's when I knew I screwed up. Unfortunately there is not a Gibson dealer or service center in this area so I took it to a local music shop to have it set up. I will have to make a trip in the future.

This issue has come up a number of times in the past, and I have experienced it myself with a 2010 ES-330L.

In my case and in others, the solution has been to remove the nut and install a series of washers to bring the nut more in line with the end of the rod. Leaving the stock washer in place, I used four or five very small round washers purchased at a local hardware store. I still have this instrument, and the relief adjustment has held just fine.

My belief is that on these problematic instruments, the wood at one end or the other of the rod is unusually soft & compresses to a certain point - but eventually will stop compressing & then respond to normal adjustment.

Thanks for the response. The guy who set it up said he only moved the nut 1/2 of a turn. It had never been turned before but the rod goes through the nut about an inch which makes no sense if he really only turned it 1/2 turn.

It seems to sound okay and remains in tune so hopefully compression is the issue. Do you know if Gibson warrants this issue? I know to replace the rod would cost more than I paid for it in 2004.

Having the rod extend an inch beyond the nut would seem rather extreme.

It might be best to have an authorized Gibson warranty repairman look it over. At the same time, you can discuss coverage under the warranty, as they are the starting point for that process. Typically, after assessing the instrument, the repairman will call Gibson to discuss the issue and pursue coverage on your behalf.

You must be the original purchaser to be eligible for warranty work. I have gone through this process once in the past, on an instrument that was five years old at the time. In my case, Gibson asked for instrument to be sent to them in Nashville, and after assessing it, they elected to replace the guitar with a current model of equal value.

• 2 months later...

Archived