Gibson Brands Forums

Net neutrality Day

Rabs

On the 12th July expect the internet to be a bit weird

Full article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-40494909

Short description of whats going to happen:-

What is the Day of Action?

With the deadline for comments on the FCC's decision looming, tech companies have decided to take co-ordinated action.

On 12 July, huge tech companies such as Amazon will join more than 170 organisations which will "slow down" their services to protest the proposed change. The protest is an attempt to simulate what could potentially happen to popular websites if net neutrality rules are scrapped.

The companies will show advertisements and pop ups which encourage users to comment on a dedicated campaign website.

Interesting. I guess I need to stay off my computer on the 12th.

I'm sure glad you're around Rabs.

You always know everything before everybody else.

Thanks for the heads up. [thumbup]

Interesting. I guess I need to stay off my computer on the 12th.

I'm sure glad you're around Rabs.

You always know everything before everybody else.

Thanks for the heads up. [thumbup]

Ha.. Its just a sad attestment to my bachelor lifestyle :)

I wonder what inventor of the WWW, Tim Berners-Lee, thinks of the FCC's proposals.

Here's a flavour of his mindset;

"(the Web should be) available freely, with no patent and no royalties due. The World Wide Web Consortium decided that its standards should be based on royalty-free technology, so that they easily could be adopted by anyone."

"Customers need to be in control of their own data; not being tied-in to a certain manufacturer so that when there are problems they are always obliged to go back to them."

"I, myself, feel that it is very important that my ISP supplies internet to my house like the water company supplies water to my house; it supplies connectivity with no strings attached."

"Most larger companies see that, for the market to grow, Web infrastructure must be royalty-free."

"The challenge is to manage the web in an open way; not too much bureaucracy, not subject to political or commercial pressures. The US should demonstrate that it is prepared to share control with the world."

"The amount of control you have over somebody if you can monitor internet activity is amazing.".........

Pip.

Who cares?

I say just give it right back to them.

Give your ISP net neutrality month. The only reason I still pay for internet is my kids.

I rarely go on it anymore. Having a life is way more fun. lol

Also just had my first real gig. Was really fun. We did great. The only thing I do online now is

look for half decent tab. Which isn't easy to find. Most of it is crap.

Anyway, just throwin in my 2 bits. Gave up being a slave to the net a while ago.

Best thing I ever done.

Highly recommend it.

Guest Farnsbarns

It's irrelavent in the uk for starters. We don't have net neutrality. It may surprise you to hear that outside the mainstream press and this little campaign, there are very strong arguments for the end of NN. Let's say you live in an exchange with a bunch of local kids steaming netflix all day. You just want to login once in a while and post here but it's so slow you can't. Gibson's hosting is slow to say the least, and netflix is fast so all that streaming can drown out your little http request. At the moment, in the US, your ISP is not allowed to throttle the Netflix streaming, not even slightly. Not even if the average time to downstream the entire film is a few seconds. If the ISP could throttle the link to netflix a little it would allow more bandwidth for your http request and speed up this site while having no noticeable impact on the Netflix users.

Also, the ISP used to be able to say to the likes of netflix, we're throttling connections to your servers slightly because X, y and Z, unless you'd like to pay us not to and we can spend the revenue on a dedicated pipe to you, or on improving speeds at the consumer end overall, but they're not allowed to.

I would also assert that the Tim Burners-Lee quotes kindly supplied by Pippy aren't actually relevant to this. The free to use, open source standards are still in place. This is not relevent to NN. It's a fair statement but just has no bearing here. We're not talking about attaching strings for the consumer but for heavy bandwidth sites. The ISP are happy for its users to use those sites but bandwidth is limited and they want to ensure the other consumer can use the sites that they want to. I can't even really approach the other quotes. Not relevent at all.

I would also assert that the Tim Burners-Lee quotes kindly supplied by Pippy aren't actually relevant to this...

...in which case I happily accede to your far greater understanding of the situation.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Well, it is now the 12th of July about 1:15 PM Eastern Daylight Savings time in the US, and I can see no noticeable slow down in internet speeds for my usage.

Perhaps as with most media, the goal is not so much to inform, but to sell ad space. Get the most eyeballs with an exaggerated story or some other sensationalism. :unsure:

Who cares?

I say just give it right back to them.

Give your ISP net neutrality month. The only reason I still pay for internet is my kids.

I rarely go on it anymore. Having a life is way more fun. lol

or you could have just simply said:

right... it wont affect me, so who cares about you. i'm superior because i don't know that the internet is more than just cat videos and facebook

Archived