Gibson Brands Forums

Fender now offering guitar lessons

Rabs

I'm a tab guy, can't read a lick of music. Oh and by the way I suck on guitar.

Tab will show you what notes to play, but learning to read music will tell you a whole lot more, and it isn't that hard. I can't "sight read" but given a few minutes with a piece of sheet music, I can get a feel for the rhythm of the song. BTW, I use tab vs music about 4/1, so there.

No right, no wrong, just sayin' that IMHO it's worth investing a few minutes to learn some basics. YMMV.

Actually I don't think its such a bad thing...

If Fender can use their name to get more people playing then that's ok by me... As long as the lessons are actually decent and worth the time and money...

And theres a free trial so you can actually try it before spending anything.

I took guitar lesson for a short while when I was 13 or so. I'm 50 and would love to learn music theory and be able to read music, but I have to work and have a wife that I enjoy sending time with, so tabs are perfect for me. I put this finger on this fret on this string, that's for me.

I can relate. Started playing at 15 (70 now) and didn't get into theory until I was 60 or so. Jeebus, would life have been so much easier [laugh]

But like I said, whatever works for you.

I'm signed up on Guitar Tricks which is very good. They recently went to a special of one on one with a instructor at a cost and he works with you. Didn't sign up. I learned to read music as a teen and since have forgotten how. I know Every Good Boy Does Fine and Face on the music book. Forgot what goes beyond that on the staff. Tabs are a whole lot easier for me at 64 but I watch the video on GT and the teacher shows you finger placement and little tricks. You play with him and can back the video or pause it. They offer so much I have stuck with them for 4 years now. Only bad thing if you want to learn a specific song and it's not on their list you have to put in a request and wait for one of the 40 some instructions to learn and teach it. They do have a play list that scrolls down forever that covers rock, blues, country, Jazz, hip hop, surf, classic and etc. they put music to it and you play along once you learn the song, I agree though, I need to learn how to read music books and theory. My oldest sister was a music teacher and she could help me to learn that.

Archived