Gibson Brands Forums

Why is it that male musician's can't dance?

Izzy

So, long ago I was all about Ava Gardner and read her hysterical autobiography and she said that Sinatra and Shaw were not good dancers while of course Mickey Rooney...well that had to have been why she married that fugly, though very talented man. He had moves.

It was Ava's theory that musicians can't dance.

I remembered this and thought, "I need to take a poll at the forum and figure out if any of these talented guitarists can move their feet...you know, for science!

So, do you think there is a correlation?

Can you dance?

No. No correlation.

It's simple. Some people can dance. Some people can't.

Being a musician has nothing to do with it. Why would it?

I play several instruments; including drums and guitar.

I'm a good dancer.

I think I still would be if I didn't play an instrument.

Or... I don't think I would dancer better if I didn't play an instrument. [blink]

BTW, dancing is subjective. Asking people to judge themselves on their dancing skills is probably not going to get you very scientific results.

Remember Elaine, on Seinfeld? She thought she was a good dancer. [smile]

I don't like to dance but I have slow danced with Debbie a lot. Just don't like jumping around twisting and stuff. Never have. But I've seen women that can't dance a jig either, they think they look great but they don't. Now the guitar thing, do you think if you placed a guitar in the hands of Michael Jackson that all of a sudden he'd forget or couldn't make the moves he did singing? He'd still look awesome and Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire would too. I can play and sing some songs well but other songs I play, and try to sing screws me up. If your talking about playing and moving to the beat, yes, that's easy.

There is a long history connecting musicians with dancing.....[thumbup]

Circus performers doing it for 100's of years....

Tap dancing accordionists....[thumbup]

The more energetic R 'n R artists from the 50's onward....[thumbup]

Celtic fiddlers.....[thumbup]

Some musicians have been advised to 'mach shau' to engage an audience which may otherwise be bored....

There is dance and rhythmic movement.......

Mick Jagger is arguably a successful 'dancer/musician'.......using humour and much silliness to entertain......[thumbup]

I am a good dancer (scientifically proven).....Mrs V and I often 'shake that thing' at events when the mood takes us.....[biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Ive wondered about this too.

I had no interest in dance for most of my life, but... I enjoyed it now & then, usually after a couple of beers.

But part getting to know my partner Janet was dancing (actually, neither of us could dance but the setting was helpful).

Then we tried to learn ballroom on a couple of cruise holidays.

These days, I take lessons. I attend 2 classes on Mondays and practices every other Friday. I do have some innate rhythm. Being a musician helps.

So male musicians can dance if they want to. The problem most of the time is simply not knowing what to do.

So male musicians can dance if they want to. The problem most of the time is simply not knowing what to do.

This is me in a nutshell. When I'm playing music, I move a bit. I wouldn't call it dancing but I have rhythm. I never learned how to dance, never felt like dancing and thus I don't except for the occasional slow dance with my wife. It's never been important enough for me to take lessons or try to learn. If she really wanted me to take lessons and if dancing was that important to her, I'd give it a shot. I would probably be going through the motions and wouldn't ever be very good at it but I'd do it for her. After all, she supports me playing music and a house full of guitars and amps. I don't have a man cave or man room but she does allow me a "man corner."

Hell yes I can dance. My Dad was a huge fan of James Brown, Jr. Walker & the All Stars, Booker T & the MGs, etc so my brother and I grew up in a household where when you heard stuff like "Get Up Offa that Thing", "Shotgun", etc - you immediately got up offa that thing & danced. It was just the most natural thing in the world to do. In his younger days our Dad had the moves & could replicate many of the Godfather of Soul's signature stuff. The ladies loved it so much I'm farly certain it was one of the many reasons my Mom divorced him ;)

He's been gone for ten years now and in his senior years his rheumatoid arthritis prevented his from walking very well let alone dancing. I know he missed it. And I most definitely miss him. Semper Fi Dad. B)

If that's a stereotype I certainly fit it. I wish it were not true. I have a keen sense of time, but it definitely doesn't translate on the dance floor. It's like the arms and legs don't talk to each other and the result is some 80s spazzy new wave thing.

I tell all my young male students - learn to dance cuz ladies love it.

I HATE dancing.. Apart from a slow dance with a lady...

But just prancing about randomly... It has always just seemed alien to me... But I get why people do it and want too... In my head I express myself musically through playing... I will bob my head or tap my foot to a beat but that's about as far as I go :)

I can't dance at all. I'm painfully white. But I do have a unique "Mating dance" I have developed for when my wife is on the phone. It's great seeing her try to keep a straight face and not bust out laughing.

The male musicians I know, can dance, some quite well, other's (like me) not so much. But, I think in a lot of cases,

(mine included) it's more not being all that interested in "dancing," per se', rather than lacking any innate ability. They'd

rather play for dances, than participate, that way. Some Are natural dancers, and some need to work at it. Just like

some are natural guitar players, and others have to really work at it. But, can still become good, even outstanding,

players or dancers. And, sure, there are always some folks that just don't seem to have any rhythm, natural or otherwise, at all.

But, I think those folks are actually rare! Most just don't bother to (for whatever reason) develop their talent, as

it were.

CB

i guess you folks have seen that episode of seinfeld where elaine's dancing is described as a "full body spasm".

well, that's me. i have an awesome sense of rythym. but i am soooo uncoordinated it's not even funny. if any of you saw me dance, you might think i should have my own telethon. it's really bad.

i tried, when i was younger, and i wanted sex badly enough to go through anything. but, some people are meant to be wallflowers.

edit: i see nothing wrong with stereotyping in some cases, like this one for example. they didn't become stereotypes erroneously. so stereotype all you want, and be guilt free! hahahahahah

For me I never learned to dance because since the 8th grade I was on the other side of the music, up on the stage playing and never really got the chance to dance. I think I could've learned if I wanted to, but I spent the rehearsal time learning to play guitar and sing instead.

So as to Izzy's pole - I am a bad dancer, pretty much a non-dancer, except anyone can slow dance at the wedding etc.

Interesting to see how many here can't - or don't enjoy to - dance.

I'm another woeful dancer but with the curious exception of traditional Scottish country dancing......eusa_think.gif......

Goodness knows why but I really do enjoy a Gay Gordons or some-such and I think it might be this;

...the problem most of the time is simply not knowing what to do...

It's the 'self-expression' part of jiggling about on a dance floor that always flummoxes me. If there are rules, set-steps and a framework and one's partner(s) also knows these rules then, generally speaking, things work out fine and no-one gets injured. I think I could probably learn to dance a bit of Ballroom-style, for example, because there are rules. But the free-for-all which is Disco-and-Everything-After? Nope.

I'm not a 'Natural' dancer. Not even close. Ever since my days of being in my Primary School's band I've always wanted to be playing the music; not dancing to the music.

Pip.

Dancing👎 A dear old friend and I had this discussion in the late 1970's when you couldn't hide from Disco anywhere. The conclusion we reached was that male musicians played music so we could avoid being expected to dance. Slow dancing? Sure. Almost a necessity when you're in the extremely early stage of meeting someone. As far as the rest of it, I'd rather attend a street fight than get on the dance floor.

Archived