Gibson Brands Forums

Prized Possessions

Buc McMaster

Call it curiosity (which I seem to have too freakin' much of!).............but let's see what some of you fine folks materially treasure in this world. I think it interesting to see what trinkets, gadgets and other detritus that people treasure. Yes, yes.......it's all just stuff, but some of the stuff we accumulate over the course of our lives can become special to us.......yes? So other than the guitars we all know are on the list, what ya got that means a lot to you?

For me, it's this 1968-69 Randall Made Model 1 fighting knife from the Vietnam era........eight inches of cold, carbon steel. Some of you may be familiar with Randall knives, like most are not, but they are placed among the best handmade blades in the world, some specific models and eras worth several thousand dollars to collectors. I used to be a very minor collector, long ago, but this is the only piece I still have and it is among my most valued possessions. It's in my will to be passed to a nephew as he's the only family member that will appreciate this steel for what it is.........

CS0ihrM.jpg

ah like the thread Buc!

I have a coin collection that I started with my dad when I was about 8 or 9. He build a decent size wooden chest for it, (he was very handy a wood working) I still have it. it's beat, the years and a few times when moisture got to the wood. but, it's something I do treasure. I add coins to the collection now and then, but 95% of it was stuff I acquired when I was a kid, I also have his "Wings" from when he was in the air force (he was a b17 co-pilot. ) that is in the coin chest.

I have a few nice things due to luck, hard work, and cosmic lottery... Probably true for most of us. My home is nice. I like my Jeep. I always have a good iPad or phone. I used to own a boat when I owned a second vacation spot by the beach.

However, these are things and not treasures. I think my J50 is a treasure, but probably all the other guitars I'd get over quickly.

Other than that, and my wife, three dogs, and whatever kids are still living here (it changes)... no treasures.

My parents are getting on, and are still with us. My dad gave me an education... love... a start in life... and a big independent streak. But no coins or hand me downs... I actually think I'd like to have something important of his for me to connect with always. I just don't know what that is now... gotst to think...

My parents are getting on, and are still with us. My dad gave me an education... love... a start in life... and a big independent streak. But no coins or hand me downs... I actually think I'd like to have something important of his for me to connect with always. I just don't know what that is now... gotst to think...

I miss my Dad and Mom Sal, you are blessed to have both of them around still.. The coin collection is just a reminder of the times where we'd go places and those days, when I'd least expect it he'd say "Ray, here's something for "The Box..."

that's how he rolled.. A very kind man.

And he loved my wife, we met in 9th grade, and we never parted ways.. "-- you better take care of her boy,, she's the keeper"... 40 years, ... this October for us..

God, he was soooo right...

I don't care about the value of all of the coin box, tho I think some is worth some dough now don't matter, it's not getting cashed in while I'm on the sunny side of the grass.. Dad had such a simple solution for things... "Do what's right,.. Don't Be A Richard..."

I think you know this,, but don't waste day my friend,, there is no do-over...

Recognize that, 40years? To those that know knives a Randall is unmistakeable.

Here's another. This is a propellor from some kind of training aircraft from the late 1940s-early 1950s. Dad acquired it while he was USAF at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, FL (where I was born) and installed the 24hr aircraft clock in the center hub. The clock is WWII era production by Elgin-Hamilton. There is no point of reference in the photo but the prop is about 50" long or so. Dad gave it to me perhaps 12 years ago and now it hangs on the wall as it did all the years I was a kid at home......pretty cool.

d6ewSLH.jpg

I haven't tried my photobucket since the big ruckus, but I built a cabin in my 30 acres of wood. By hand, no electricity out there. It's a hunting cabin, escape hatch, place to write, camp, reflect, etc. I spend more and more time out there as I age. Wood burning cook stove from the early 1900's. Even a solar pond.....

100_2435_zpsipdkcjco.jpg

I haven't tried my photobucket since the big ruckus, but I built a cabin in my 30 acres of wood. By hand, no electricity out there. It's a hunting cabin, escape hatch, place to write, camp, reflect, etc. I spend more and more time out there as I age. Wood burning cook stove from the early 1900's. Even a solar pond.....

That's really cool. I have a hunt cabin in NW ONT & though I didn't build it myself it feels like it because I've done so much work on it. I love it up there.

100_2435_zpsipdkcjco.jpg

Having been a professional photographer, mu first instinct was to say my cameras.

After a few seconds I realised my most prized possession is the photo I have of my grandfather in his battle dress before he left for Belgium in 1916.

He was in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and fought at Ypres. Fortunately, despite being gassed and losing part of his leg, he made it home.

100_2435_zpsipdkcjco.jpg

I lived in a shack like that for a bit. Sat on top of a mountain on 80 acres of land. It had originally been built as a hunting cabin. No electricity or running water. It had a huge wood stove though and a stream right out back. There was a large black snake named Herbie who shared the place with me. Very useful for keeping the field mice out. Only way to get to it was motorcycle, horse or on foot.

Not a priced possesion really, but an important one for me is my iPad mini. It has brought me closer to the rest of the world, enabled me to find this forum and great new music, (and a couple of guitars...). Also this little flat pad has taken away all the technical headaches out of making simple home recordings. Without it I would not be where I am within this hobby.

I'm typing on it right now, in a small town in southern Sweden, and most of you reading this are at least half a world away. That's really something...maybe the topic for a new song even...

Lars

When I was a little kid the World War Two the troops trains used to come thru our town with soldiers returning home from war. MY uncle would put me on his shoulders and I would give the boys small bags of cookies my mom and her sisters made. One day a grateful soldier gave me an insignia. My mom sewed it on my shirt and then the other guys saw it and started giving me theirs as well. I have over a hundred of them and they are the first thing out in a fire.

I took a Ruana knife to war. They will have to pry it out of my cold dead hand.

This was a really interesting question and not easy to answer. My Collings OM is way beyond most anything else I have in terms of how I would feel if it disappeared. I've got a few souvenirs from the 63 NY World's Fair. I had a US made Black and Decker power drill that I bought with a set of bits marked "Made in W. Germany" meaning I must have bought it before 1990-probably had it for 30 years. It was fine till a couple of weeks ago when the insulation started falling off the electric cord. I wasn't happy about throwing it away till my son gave me a new DeWalt drill for Father's day. I guess I wasn't that attached to it after all. Continuing on the tool theme, I had this small hammer with screwdrivers in its handle that had been in the house I grew up in. I liberated it when I went off to college. When my son moved into his condo, I put together a set of duplicate hand tools that I had collected over the years as a housewarming gift, and included the hammer. He was impressed that I gave it up.

Aside from that, I have a Rolex watch that my boss of 35 years bought for me about 15 years ago. I almost never go anywhere without it.

One last thing - Buc - my Dad also passed through the NAS at Pensacola in the 40's. He was training as a USN pilot and flew out from there to do his carrier qualifications.

Other than my bicycles (I spend more waking hours in the saddle than anything else), I'd say it's an old Estwing hammer that my uncle gave me when I was about 14 years old. I'm still using that hammer, 40+ years later. When my uncle passed away, I was tempted to give it to his son, but I just couldn't part with it.

Archived