Gibson Brands Forums

Be Bop Deluxe

IanHenry

Hi Ian, love Be Bop Deluxe and Bill Nelson's guitar style and lyrics.

I uploaded a dvd at the Traders Den featuring this song and a few others recorded on the BBC'S Old Grey Whistle Test. Can be found here if anyone is interested.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125918

Yes, they were a great band. Bill Nelson's solo's are very melodic, I think he is very under rated, maybe because he's never conformed to how people expect a guitar hero should act and look etc.

Ian

Yes, they were a great band. Bill Nelson's solo's are very melodic, I think he is very under rated, maybe because he's never conformed to how people expect a guitar hero should act and look etc.

Ian

He certainly didn't conform, he had arrangements by brass bands from Yorkshire then after the very melodic "Modern Music" with excellent sound production he released the raw bleak "Drastic Plastic" album. He then formed Red Noise and followed that with an array of artsy solo projects. There's a double CD + Dvd called Bill Nelson & the Gentlemen Rocketeers which is a live recording in a small venue and it shows that if anything his guitar playing is just as good as it ever was if not better. Check it out on YouTube.

PR.

Yes FZ, sadly Charlie passed away very young aged just 46. Be-Bop Deluxe bass players didn't seem to have much luck with the previous one Paul Jeffreys dying one the Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie. Terrible waste.

Ian

I loved the earlier albums Bill did with Be+Bop. 'Futurama' and 'Sunburst Finish' are both superb albums as is their 'Live! In the Air Age' LP + EP set.

After 'Modern Music', though, their stuff appealed to me less. 'Drastic Plastic' is 50/50 (and I'm being very charitable) and at the time I couldn't stand the stuff he did with Red Noise I'm sorry to say but perhaps I should give it/him/them another chance.

Pip.

Bill has his own website(s) Dreamville and I forget the others. I got to see BBD back in the late 70s. They could have been even bigger if Bill kept the band going. I'm a major fan. I have all of BBD plus some BN solo stuff. He is a big influence on me overall.

All my Be Bop is on vinyl.

I have much on vinyl and all on CD. On the Dutch made cd "Drastic Plastic" they don't have the song Japan but, they have two other tracks. One of them I like. I have the Japan track on another cd "best of" type. Some of the cds also come with extra tracks. At least one does I do remember.

I have much on vinyl and all on CD. On the Dutch made cd "Drastic Plastic" they don't have the song Japan but, they have two other tracks. One of them I like. I have the Japan track on another cd "best of" type. Some of the cds also come with extra tracks. At least one does I do remember.

The original uk vinyl version of Drastic Plastic diidn't have the song Japan, it was originally released as a 7" single in 1977 with Futuristic Manifesto on the b-side. I like you have most of Be Bop's vinyl releases including the "Best and Rest Of" double compilation. I also have Bill's pre Be Bop Deluxe effort "Northern Dream" on original vinyl. Most of the CD reissues had extra tracks which were usually singles A & B-sides that weren't included on the original LP's.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8_igDrP1Tk8/VHSCZLqS7OI/AAAAAAAACpk/PAhzuIn_gXA/s1600/Northern%2BDream.jpg

Archived