Gibson Brands Forums

The Hummingbird

Buc McMaster

Here's another one of those damn "vanity" posts that's sure to annoy someone.............but I'm old enough not to care.

The Hummingbird is back in action. The pick guard has been lifting so I got the 3M stuff from StewMac and got it off and reattached yesterday. This guitar is so tonally different from the 45 and perhaps better suits a crooner such as this. I did this one on ukulele a few years back and have revived it for the guitar set list. It's been one of the audience favs at the open mics and it is a lot of fun to sing...........sometimes better than others, for sure.

Hummingbird Vintage; 80/20 Masterbuilt .012s one half step down. capo 2; Manouche 1.5mm pick; into iMovie via Yeti USB mic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4adgfy98gk

What a sensational sounding guitar that is. More proof as to why the Hummingbird is (somewhat surprisingly for a guitar that's only been around since '62) the most recorded acoustic guitar of all time.

I read that it was designed with a purposeful "notch" in the midrange, right where the human voice sits, so as to sit easily in a mix, and the prototypes were tested by recording them alongside an oboe, as the oboe occupies a tonal place that shares a commonality with both the male and female vowel sounds.

That aside, another great performance, Buc. Love it!

More proof as to why the Hummingbird is (somewhat surprisingly for a guitar that's only been around since '62) the most recorded acoustic guitar of all time.

Excuse me, this to me sounds better than the real thing.

All respect to your insight and long trail in music, but most recorded acoustic guitar. Have to doubt it, , , what is the source – (I could be mistaken).

When looking at my record collection, which presents its concentrated core in the golden age between 1962 and 1974, there are a lot of acoustics.

However I only see 1 flock of Hummingbirds. The 2 or 3 fliers in the Stones camp. (count one owned by Joplin in)

There are other Gibsons of course, J-200's, J-185's, 160E's, but mostly J-45's and 50's.

Ouhh, , , and there's also a lone Heritage played by J.B. Sebastian (who btw. dreamed of an Advanced Jumbo).

Now a lot of more contemporary artists have been seen with Birds after they got their post-Ferguson revival. However that's different thing.

They often primarily strum away and can't be seen as serious acoustic players.

All the godfathers of singersongwriting – and the list is long – just never touch them. Feel free, prove me wrong.

I'm not necessarily stubborn on this, but my research goes wide'n'deep.

Would like to have my horizon made broader and look forward to your response.

Best Thoughts from here

Ahhh, let's not forget the Petty Dove. .

Excuse me, this to me sounds better than the real thing.

All respect to your insight and long trail in music, but most recorded acoustic guitar. Have to doubt it, , , what is the source – (I could be mistaken).

When looking at my record collection, which presents its concentrated core in the golden age between 1962 and 1974, there are a lot of acoustics.

However I only see 1 flock of Hummingbirds. The 2 or 3 fliers in the Stones camp. (count one owned by Joplin in)

There are other Gibsons of course, J-200's, J-185's, 160E's, but mostly J-45's and 50's.

Ouhh, , , and there's also a lone Heritage played by J.B. Sebastian (who btw. dreamed of an Advanced Jumbo).

Now a lot of more contemporary artists have been seen with Birds after they got their post-Ferguson revival. However that's different thing.

They often primarily strum away and can't be seen as serious acoustic players.

All the godfathers of singersongwriting – and the list is long – just never touch them. Feel free, prove me wrong.

I'm not necessarily stubborn on this, but my research goes wide'n'deep.

Would like to have my horizon made broader and look forward to your response.

Best Thoughts from here

Ahhh, let's not forget the Petty Dove. .

I was told the 'Bird tale concerning its development and recording popularity by David Bower, who ran the UK Gibson HQ back in 2008 when I had an artist deal with them for a wee while. I've read it elsewhere in the past too...perhaps printed or written up from a Gibson press release at some point. I'll have a spell of Google sleuthing at some point and see if I can dig up any online references so I can supply some concrete source material...I must admit I was surprised, I would have expected it to be a D18/D28 or J45, but then of course recording was a rarefied thing in itself prior to the early '60s, and has become gigantically accessible to all since then.

In my immediate circle of muso pals I write/play/record with, five are Hummingbird players...they're fantastically popular in the UK, which explains why it's a cinch to walk into a guitar store and pick up a Bird, but a real rarity to bump into a Dove.

I was told the 'Bird tale

Though it could be interesting to investigate a bit, don't get exhausted while trying to find the stuff. I think you know what I mean and we kind of blend there.

Your friends play them - yes, they are reborn and popular as candy, but let me dare to long-distance X-ray the older section of your LP's. Not many Birds there, huh. .

Ever seen Woodstock or Isle of Wight or that vintage documentary from some English folk-fest.

Not a single Bird in sight, , , would be more likely to see a tiger.

Anyway the Forum has crown-witnesses aboard and OC is one of them. Nick and zomb would be others - like invaluable first wave spectators.

They really know the ways of these early squares and sometimes are generous enough to drop a tale. Exciting as important material.

Ouh 1 more thing, , , , rumour has it there was a square SJ in Peter Paul and Mary.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Apart from that, a splendid performance there mister McMaster. As always you know what you are doin'. Taking it in the cans again as I write.

Birdland with Masterbuilts 80/20 a half step down - that's where we meet.

And something funny happens - it's from that oldie Dylan got his To Make You Feel My Love.

Been wondering since first hearing it 20 years ago - knew there was a clear inspiration from somewhere. You Belong to Me (which he has also sung) is it.

Threads/comments that get me thinking - love 'em! Keeps mental deterioration inhibited after a certain age😄 So, Hummingbirds that I associate with people - or the other way around, which seems best. The Stones have been mentioned, and rightly so, a lot. Eric Anderson used a 'bird along with a J-200 and a J-45 back in the day. I understand his main guitar is now a Southern Jumbo. John Prine played one early on, and Townes Van Zandt used one for a while. Anyone else come to mind?

Anyone else come to mind?

O yes, good old Andersen. Forgot.

This pic's been posted before.

Approx 1969 ~ EricAndersenwblondeBird2.jpg

Seems he fixed the bridge and used it a lot - https://mcnyblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/img_2868.jpg

And I suddenly recall mid-generation-Mellencamp calling the Bird the best acoustic rocker there is in the Fabulous Flattop book.

Though it could be interesting to investigate a bit, don't get exhausted while trying to find the stuff. I think you know what I mean and we kind of blend there.

Your friends play them - yes, they are reborn and popular as candy, but let me dare to long-distance X-ray the older section of your LP's. Not many Birds there, huh. .

Ever seen Woodstock or Isle of Wight or that vintage documentary from some English folk-fest.

Not a single Bird in sight, , , would be more likely to see a tiger.

Anyway the Forum has crown-witnesses aboard and OC is one of them. Nick and zomb would be others - like invaluable first wave spectators.

They really know the ways of these early squares and sometimes are generous enough to drop a tale. Exciting as important material.

Ouh 1 more thing, , , , rumour has it there was a square SJ in Peter Paul and Mary.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Apart from that, a splendid performance there mister McMaster. As always you know what you are doin'. Taking it in the cans again as I write.

Birdland with Masterbuilts 80/20 a half step down - that's where we meet.

And something funny happens - it's from that oldie Dylan got his To Make You Feel My Love.

Been wondering since first hearing it 20 years ago - knew there was a clear inspiration from somewhere. You Belong to Me (which he has also sung) is it.

Yes indeed, it's tough to find a Bird in action during the golden period that you mentioned before (I totally agree about those luminous times). Perhaps the original statement made to me was a company line or Chinese whispers, who knows...It's an interesting topic though.

Love this, Buc. I remember the uke version, too, as well as a post that asked about why, really, would a person need to have more than one trusty guitar.

And here you are, answering that question quite definitively. 👍🏻👍🏻

O yes, good old Andersen. Forgot.

This pic's been posted before.

Approx 1969 ~ EricAndersenwblondeBird2.jpg

Seems he fixed the bridge and used it a lot - https://mcnyblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/img_2868.jpg

And I suddenly recall mid-generation-Mellencamp calling the Bird the best acoustic rocker there is in the Fabulous Flattop book.

Notice how clearly that pickguard's colors remain!

Thanks folks! Appreciate the kind comments!

Yes, the Hummingbird is a fine instrument and is the best "player" between the two, but the J-45 has taken the post as the main guitar. To be fair to myself and the guitars I have played the Hummingbird exclusively for the last three days and while it has a wonderful, warm sound, the raw, very fundamental tone of the J-45 just seems to suit my ear and my style better. I still subscribe to the one man, one guitar school of thought and there may soon come a day when the Hummingbird takes flight to land in another tree.........it just makes no sense to me to have dollars invested in something, even a fine guitar, that is not being made use of on a regular, continuous basis. But, then again, stowed in it's case it's not offending me in any way.......I dunno.....

Thanks folks! Appreciate the kind comments!

Yes, the Hummingbird is a fine instrument and is the best "player" between the two, but the J-45 has taken the post as the main guitar. To be fair to myself and the guitars I have played the Hummingbird exclusively for the last three days and while it has a wonderful, warm sound, the raw, very fundamental tone of the J-45 just seems to suit my ear and my style better. I still subscribe to the one man, one guitar school of thought and there may soon come a day when the Hummingbird takes flight to land in another tree.........it just makes no sense to me to have dollars invested in something, even a fine guitar, that is not being made use of on a regular, continuous basis. But, then again, stowed in it's case it's not offending me in any way.......I dunno.....

Besides which it doesn't eat much and you don't have to paint it😒

What a coincidence, I was playing this song with my daughter right before looking at the forum

I was wondering why I started playing it, as Sal said Buc did it on the uke, that's why I started playing it.

I really enjoy the song posts on here

Great job, Buc. I sure admire you guys that can play & sing efficiently. Never heard this song, but will definitely learn it. Noticed you had the Gibson strings on your Hummingbird. My Hummingbird Vintage came with those strings, but they didn't seem to speak to me. Just changed the strings today to some Elixirs, and it seemed like the guitar came alive. I know we all hear things different, and that's one of the great things about this life. It would be pretty boring if we all liked the same thing. Keep the songs coming. I enjoy them !

Threads/comments that get me thinking - love 'em! Keeps mental deterioration inhibited after a certain age So, Hummingbirds that I associate with people - or the other way around, which seems best. The Stones have been mentioned, and rightly so, a lot. Eric Anderson used a 'bird along with a J-200 and a J-45 back in the day. I understand his main guitar is now a Southern Jumbo. John Prine played one early on, and Townes Van Zandt used one for a while. Anyone else come to mind?

H'Bird ?

Justin

Beiber, not the boots.

He has a Dove too.

AND.... he's a lefty.

Sounds sinister - but you never see Buc and Justin in the same room at the same time.

Threads/comments that get me thinking - love 'em! Keeps mental deterioration inhibited after a certain age😄 So, Hummingbirds that I associate with people - or the other way around, which seems best. The Stones have been mentioned, and rightly so, a lot. Eric Anderson used a 'bird along with a J-200 and a J-45 back in the day. I understand his main guitar is now a Southern Jumbo. John Prine played one early on, and Townes Van Zandt used one for a while. Anyone else come to mind?

Buc McMaster has one

.......but you never see Buc and Justin in the same room at the same time.

OMG. Forty........you mention that little worm and myself in the same breath?! Well I don't know whether to shite or go blind behind that............

H'Bird ?

Justin

Beiber, not the boots.

He has a Dove too.

AND.... he's a lefty.

Sounds sinister - but you never see Buc and Justin in the same room at the same time.

Does that, I wonder, reflect careful planning on Buc's part? 😂

Archived