Gibson Brands Forums

Right now still anybody personally and smoothly mailing guitar with rosewood part outside USA ?

gotomsdos

Hi, old buddies !

Seemingly a big thing ?

It's confirmed (I've just known)that guitar stores in Japan do not ship guitars with rosewood((both Brazilian and Indian)) including fretboard & bridge outside Japan !

My issue is :

What about USA (my concern is "Personal mailing outside USA" by FedEx, UPS, etc) ?

What I need now is the CURRENT ACTUAL ACTION (within one or two months).

If any thread has been started, let me know please, thank you in advance.

Any input would be appreciated !

I was in a guitar store in Poole, near me, at the weekend and noticed the acoustic room was virtually bare. I had a long chat with the owner, and apparently the latest regulation changes for internationals rosewood shipping are making things incredibly difficult, especially with regard to getting guitars out of Pac Rim countries and across the Atlantic.

This kinda thing bugs me

I'm all for looking after our planet and all that carry on

But once a guitar is made that's it , can't go back. Doesn't matter anymore where it ends up

It's like wasting resources tying to catch poachers instead of chasing the guys who buy what they know is illegal fish or meat

This is causing quite a bit of disruption.. I have a mandolin (Washburn) on back order since March. Looks like this rosewood ban is the hold up. Customer Service @Washburn said to expect sometime in September they can probably start to ship things out to the retailers. and that's just mandolins....

This kinda thing bugs me

I'm all for looking after our planet and all that carry on

But once a guitar is made that's it , can't go back. Doesn't matter anymore where it ends up

It's like wasting resources tying to catch poachers instead of chasing the guys who buy what they know is illegal fish or meat

It's the same mentality the US employed a few years ago with thousands of pounds of illegal ivory seized by Customs over the years - they burned it.

We had a beautiful, large, 200 year old Live Oak here that was in the path of a tract home developer. He could have easily built around it. On a hill, it was the only one for a mile in any direction in this part of Texas. He owned it - he chopped it down. Probably netted him an extra $2 or 3 thousand. No one could prevent it. Private Property. Trees in Brazil decades ago were cut for farmland. Some of the wood was burned, when it couldn't be economically harvested. Some was used for shipping crates and pallets. Jungles in South East Asia are being taken down to plant Palm Oil Plantations - decimating wildlife, especially tigers. Unfortunately, the fad to buy palm oil has petered out. Now it's 'coconut oil'. Elephants, Rhinos, Tigers - there are markets for their byproducts, mostly in the Far East. Same for Rosewood: Not so much for guitars, but for furniture, panelling, etc.

Like Drugs in Columbia or Mexico - "as long as their is a demand" - the only way to end the problem is to harshly deal with those who produce it. Poachers and Drug Cartels are para-military. To stop them, you can't put a ban on mandolins. You do what Columbia is doing - go after them with 'Special Forces' and hi-tech equipment.

I find it 'strange' that a company like Gibson can't use Rosewood without being raided by armed federal agents, but Chinese companies can export it and send it here to compete with them. It's like stepping on a balloon. If you want to pop it, you have to use both feet.

I recently read an article posted over at AGF where Bill Collings and others said they have not been able to export much of anything since March. A friend of mine just bought a new PRS electic which had a stamp on it stating something to the effect the guitar could not be exported. The gist of the article though is that nobody seems to understand the new restrictions but they will get it sorted out.

I have imported 10 or 11 acoustic guitars to Melbourne, Australia over the years.

Most from Elderly or Ebay, but if they sent it Fedex Express, Fedex organised the documentation/Customs broking etc, all with their own story but that is another thing. I said to myself I can't do the 'wait' again, but weakened when I saw 'X' online. I emailed my contact about a good deal and the reply said I needed to check my local Customs office for their 'importation requirements'. I did this and the got passed around the Clown Factory by phone and finally to a "Fisheries Officer" who had no idea at all what I was talking about and after I explained the situation, he said that the guitar would have to be pulled apart and sprayed to stop infestations etc, at which point I hung up on him!

Now it is clearer in wording - this is what I get at Elderly, for example, if I want to get 'X' vintage guitar:

IN STOCK

sku: 20U-16186

Brand: Gibson

Quite an instrument, sunburst finish, double bound jumbo body, spruce top, mahogany back and sides, 2 piece maple neck (reset some time ago, some overspray around heel area), bound Brazilian rosewood fretboard, dot inlays, 20 frets (pro refret), Brazilian rosewood "flying bat" bridge, tortoise plastic pickguard, headstock overlay features logo inlay, newer Grover open gear tuners installed, newer bridge plate installed, 1-11/16" nut, 25-1/2" scale, OHSC, EC- (1 repaired back crack), consignment * Sorry, this item cannot be shipped to any EU countries! * (SN:4098G)

Important information if shipping this item outside of the USA (click)

Please note: To help insure the future availability of certain materials used in the construction of this instrument, additional fees and/or documentation may be required when shipping this item outside of the USA. This is due to the CITES treaty, which regulates international trade of certain materials like rosewood, abalone, and pearl. If you purchase this item to be shipped outside of the USA, we'll determine whether the regulations apply to your order, and will contact you with more information if necessary.

BluesKing777.

We have a lot of old instruments -- thus all of them can legally be exported with the proper license. We have homes in the US and Canada and we go back and forth every year -- we are retired. Historically we have always carried a fair number of instruments -- part of our life style.

The remarkable thing to me is how many old guitars used RW -- not just for B&S, but also a lot for fingerboards and bridges. Maybe 90% of our instruments have some kind of RW -- almost no old Gibsons are free. This is even true of our prewar Gibson banjos -- fretboards.

Well we still have a few that are ok -- mostly with ebony fretboards and bridges. Martin went to RW on small model 18s in 1935 and on D-18s after WWII. So this year we had to make do with a 1934 000-18, 1938 D-18, 1921 Vega Whyte Laydie, and 1976 RB-250 (weirdly with an ebony FB). It was tough but we survived.eusa_boohoo.gif. [i cried because I had no sails until I saw a man that had no yacht.]

Since I am clearly not importing any restricted materials, I not required to do anything except to report to border officials that I am carrying instruments if ask. So how often has anyone checked? Never.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I routinely travel over the US/Canada border with guitars. Just about all have Indian or Brazilian wood in their makeup. I mention I have a guitar (or two) in the back and that's it. Off I go. No problem coming back either.

Archived