Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for online resource for strumming / picking styles

Lars68

Does anyone know of a good resource online showing various strumming patterns / rythms / techniques / picking styles? I'm not looking for solo playing of scales or Bluegrass style picking, just stuff I can use to give more variety to the songs I play and sing.

I'd like to expand on my somewhat limited tool box, and need some help along the way. I tried figuring out a good reggea strum the other day. A disaster [biggrin]

Lars

Don't know, Lars but did you go through JustinGuitar?

I had a couple of silly books years ago that claimed to have 250 strums or such tabled out, but the comb binding should have been a clue to its 'budgetness' - took my money!

Seriously, the best tried and true way is to find a track you like and play along with it over and over, and over again, until you get it. Otherwise, you need to learn someone's whole teaching method before you get to the strumming. Do it to lots of pop or easy tunes to begin with.

BluesKing777.

True BK and Buc. I think you can find a lot of niche picking/strumming instruction, which you have to investigate to see if you bond with the style and format, but if I were to offer advice, at least from a flat picking perspective, I'd recommend you master alternate picking and fluidity across the bass half and treble half of any given chord. Tones, textures and steady rhythm make the mood of a song work. Muting and percussion also enhance songs. The rest is presentation, another challenge. If you can't sing a note you're screwed.

And then you have string and pick variables. Repetition of new lessons at slower speeds is very helpful too, unless you're an old sod with a short time left on the planet. If you stumble on to a nuance you like stop and capture it by playing it repetitiously into your memory bank. 10,000 hours man.

Following lessons for picking patterns is torture for me , I get so bored

Find a song you like and let your fingers do your own thing and add something different to the song

Unless you're going to start a tribute band and need to be exact

Can't remember his name but there was a guy who used to post woody Mann tunes and obviously got his kicks from getting the tune a carbon copy of the original . I've learnt one thing in that you are you and the world already has that tune due to the original player.

Great things happen when someone takes something and puts their very own ingredient in

Archived