Gibson Brands Forums

Tinnitus and hearing damage

Pinch

I've had it in both ears many years. Sounded pretty close to that. That sound was like a flat line constant noise and mine was more of a telephone like ringing at a louder level day and night. But it wasn't like a ring...ring...ring, just a constant same level ring but that sounds the closest I can describe. One day it just went away. Thought my hearing was so bad, it went rock bottom. When I remove my hearing aids, it's like I go completely deaf.

I've had it in both ears many years. Sounded pretty close to that. That sound was like a flat line constant noise and mine was more of a telephone like ringing at a louder level day and night. But it wasn't like a ring...ring...ring, just a constant same level ring but that sounds the closest I can describe. One day it just went away. Thought my hearing was so bad, it went rock bottom. When I remove my hearing aids, it's like I go completely deaf.

Mine's just in one ear and it can have it's advantages - when my wife gets too "opinionated" I can just turn my left ear to her and the noise goes away! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

The original H.E.A.R. PSA with Lars:

I was only about twelve at the time, but I remember thinking, part of me wants you to take Metallica to the next level, which I think you'll do... Part of me thinks it's possible you'll develop a huge ego problem. I mean, huger.

I wore earplugs religiously from the first time I set foot in a rehearsal room. Then I dropped something heavy and clanky onto something heavier and clankier, and... tinnitus. Oh, the irony.

Ugh, it figures. Sorry about that.

I have intermittent tinnitus. I never wore ear plugs when I started playing in bands when I was in highschool. "They're for wussies"

After 5 years or so I started wearing them, but the damage has been done. [thumbdn]

I've had it for a lot of my life and my audiologist describes mine as the "Tinnitus from hell"! A lot of the time it is hell too.

Mine came from being too close to things that go "BANG" in Vietnam and is part of with general ear damage, though as you understand, often is part of accumulated ear damage.

Of course associated with Tinnitus what can follow is far worse! Extreme Vertigo caused by Meneire's Disease or BPPV (look 'em up), I have both.

So if you want a poster boy for why you should protect your ears...I'm afraid I'm it!

I'm sure I have some, given my misspent youth (Marshall "Major" 200 watt stack, run "flat out"), and places I've worked,

since, that had industrial noise, etc. But, It's (so far) not that noticeable. If I go to a bar or club, and the sound

is WAY loud, I'll have a problem for a few hours, maybe a day or so. But, it subsides. However, time will tell! [tongue][unsure]

CB

Mine is constant and fairly high pitched. I went to an ENT doc last year. He asked if I had any relatives with hearing loss (my tinnitus began with and is accompanied by hearing loss). I said "Yea, my grandfather had it bad, my mom, my sister." He then asked if I had any exposure to loud noise in my life. I said, "Yea I played guitar in a rock and roll band." He then said without skipping a beat, "You're Screwed".

1500000407[/url]' post='1868380']

Mine's just in one ear and it can have it's advantages - when my wife gets too "opinionated" I can just turn my left ear to her and the noise goes away! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Ha ha, that works and it doesn't work for me. If she sees I'm not wearing them or if she thinks there turned off or a dead battery she asks if I heard her or she Screams Very loudly. Sometimes I hear her but don't think a response is necessary and then she screams.."Did You Hear Me??" Oh, my God she can be loud when I have them in.

1500068422[/url]' post='1868501']

I'm sure I have some, given my misspent youth (Marshall "Major" 200 watt stack, run "flat out"), and places I've worked,

since, that had industrial noise, etc. But, It's (so far) not that noticeable. If I go to a bar or club, and the sound

is WAY loud, I'll have a problem for a few hours, maybe a day or so. But, it subsides. However, time will tell! [tongue][unsure]

CB

That's how it begins, comes and goes. You get that ringing that lets you know there was hearing damage. Goes away in a few days or week. Do it again and same thing happens. With age, you start having major damage and tinnitus because it was already done in your youthful years. I'm told by doctors to prevent going total deaf to wear ear plugs and ear muffs together while mowing or running any type of yard equipment. Or wearing them for anything louder then normal talking or a bird singing. He said not to do any Shooting ever again or target shooting and I'm a gun collector. Absolutely No concerts! No theater movies, both way too loud. I used to Drag Race but that was way back and I'm not supposed to ever go to one to watch. No watching fireworks or anything that's loud. My wife screaming at me is way too loud.msp_flapper.gif

Retired: I wear EAR Classic Soft with the extra muffling SNR. They're cheap, comfortable, and do the trick. Kind of like my ex-ex-girlfriend.

You do of course need to talk to your audiologist, but with an SNR at 36 (pushed all the way in) and the regular whatchamacallit-thingie you wear when you go shooting (no, not a ski mask), you should be able to go shooting. If the sound waves can't get in, they can't do more damage.

1500228890[/url]' post='1868851']

Retired: I wear EAR Classic Soft with the extra muffling SNR. They're cheap, comfortable, and do the trick. Kind of like my ex-ex-girlfriend.

You do of course need to talk to your audiologist, but with an SNR at 36 (pushed all the way in) and the regular whatchamacallit-thingie you wear when you go shooting (no, not a ski mask), you should be able to go shooting. If the sound waves can't get in, they can't do more damage.

Thanks, I wrote it down. 36 is better then the 34's I've been wearing when I shoot. I also wear extra padded ear muffs over top and I know they must have better ones out by now. I don't think shooting is the problem wearing both as it's not loud to me and I rarely go target shooting. The S&W .500 mag? Yes! That is loud I admit, sounds and feels like a hand grenade going off in your hand so I did give that handgun to my son for his gun safe. Ha ha, he went outdoors shooting with friends and he used it for 5 rounds and told me his ears rang for a week. Dumb s#it didn't use anything protecting his hearing and he knew better. All he kept telling me is, Damn Dad! It was like a Grenade exploding in my hand! msp_flapper.gif

Seems I've had it for as long as I can remember even when I was a little kid.

I read recently that Science now believes it's possible you can be born with it. It may have something to do with electrical impulses in the Synapse's in the Brain.

Would be great if they could figure out a remedy or a Cure.

A timely revisit to a serious and relevant subject......[thumbup]

I sometimes think that audience members are more at risk than musicians on stage....depending on frequency (how often).....

One slight irony, still unpleasant , is the hyperacusis at certain frequencies which can accompany hearing loss/tinnitus etc....

My main recent issue has been hearing normal conversation at a noisy venue

The audiologist plotted an informative graph which revealed 7db loss of upper 'speech' frequencies....not enough to require a hearing aid...

I returned 2 weeks later for a follow up consultation and reported continuing issues (and not hearing well on the telephone).....so was given 2 well adjusted digital hearing aids.....good to have as back up....

I also had moulds taken for in-ear defenders for motorcycling....£120 a pair....compared to £5 for the squeezy roll-up type.....:blink:

Big improvement....very comfortable and less likelihood of pushing wax further in to the ear

Vertigo comes and goes.....

All part of the pageant of 'misspent youth' and other day to day factors.....:-({|=

V

:-({|=

Archived