Gibson Brands Forums

DIY 2.0

Dub-T-123

HELP..

I have way too many things I want to build...

So that new walnut body.. Im not sure what to do with it... I have a flamed and spalted maple top which ive been dying to use... BUT I really like the walnut and am thinking maybe it will be cool to do another carved top like the one I just started and have the grain going in the more normal direction and I can directly compare the two which will be cool..

Ive also had this idea for a one pickup guitar.. While I know they aren't for everyone, there is something about the look of the I do like.. This is the rough idea

2Qtzdku.jpg

BUT if I do that and use a top, that means I cant carve it as they are too thin.. and im not sure I want to go back to flat tops again...

These are the tops

Mzpc2Ly.jpg

N8s4H9v.jpg

Hmm, decisions decisions.. What do you think?

I also like the shape you have drawn out on the spatted top. As for the spatted vs flame, that's a little tougher choice. I think I'd go for the spatted top because it looks so nice and everyone does flames tops. I also think that the combination of that different yet classic looking shape also calls for a slightly different top too.

Either way, it will be very nice. That's the problem when all the choices you have are good ones. Kind of like Buridan's donkey...

I'm happy for you about your sale.

As for the next build, I love the spalted top look, but then I would always make that choice.

Not sure why the single pickup idea interferes with the carved top? I'm sleep deprived just now. Maybe I misunderstood?

Because I need about 7-8mm at least to do a carve.. The tops are like 6/7mm thick...

If I use a top it has to be a flat top... So it just cos I wanted to use the top.. I can just carve the walnut and not use a top and do a single pickup design..

I'd steal it. That's a cool looking shape. [thumbup]

Hmm.. Im a bit split by that.. I sorta like it and sorta don't at the same time.

One of the reasons apart form its one of my favourite shapes that I go with the double cuts is that so many people seem comfortable with it.

And it allows me to do different things with the way I use the wood and my hardware options but yet still remain somewhat familiar.. Well that's what I reckon anyway.

So I've been trying to decide what to do with my Gold Top Tribute. Since I got the Bonamassa guitar I just didn't like the sound of it in comparison. Seemed thin/shallow. Plus, when I looked inside I found the new Gibson circuit board which just doesn't seem right. I was thinking maybe P90's but eventually went with some SD antiquity PAFs and a Emerson '50s kit. I was a little apprehensive since I haven't soldered anything since I was in junior high 40 years ago. Anyway, It turned out out pretty good. Tone is nice, very similar to the Bonamassa (which has SD custom PAFs). I also put on a Faber ABR1 bridge and tail piece. Feel free to laugh at my attempt at solder joints. The nice looking ones were all done by Emerson. The ugly ones are mine.

Before:

JHUK0E2.jpg

After:

2VAbQHg.jpg?1

cji8sV1.jpg

Ok so I have decided..

Im just going to do another carved top with this solid body... The single pickup guitar idea will be next on the list then :)

This is roughly what im planning (at the moment :)

s9gshjT.jpg

Did the body today

COZFD1N.jpg

n1zFeVB.jpg

iFwozLL.jpg

G7VSaMz.jpg

Mp4yjBD.jpg

Carved the top of Walnut DC 2 today... Really this build is going to almost be identical to Walnut 1 DC so I wont post so much how I do things, just shots of when it progresses.

So heres a bunch of shoots of the newly carved top :)

PoGWJxD.jpg

pzCKhNr.jpg

2X0YiWK.jpg

zfFHGyi.jpg

ECp5p7Q.jpg

6S5FQRh.jpg

Inlay time..

And actually the first time ive done trapezoids... But ive done blocks so its the same method.

So you line up and draw around the inlay

8E9T1vG.jpg

Then deepen the cut

nUDTnmN.jpg

Then you go around the inside edge with a chisel like this.. the lines you already have mean that it comes out nice and clean

NCveybB.jpg

The you evacuate the middle

0SOnRUl.jpg

And hey presto you have an inlay hole :)

zgW3ABS.jpg

Needs to be a bit deeper, but once you have the shape that's pretty easy.

yt57s5N.jpg

Just eight more to go :)

RGyj0QM.jpg

Also did the binding on Walnut 1 today

AIVUaYT.jpg

And tested the knob position to make sure it fits in the space in a pleasing manner and they look like it will be ok.

igfRe3V.jpg

XZQx5jB.jpg

Added a tone knob to my Epiphone Valve Jr head, the knob works really well, I am pleased with the result except I am detecting a hiss that I am not sure was there before. The hiss reacts to the tone knob meaning it gets darker or brighter so I guess it is coming from somewhere else. I can live with it for now.

37267055875_561c99e1a2_c.jpg

Tone knob on the left, I had previously added a full size volume pot years ago.

37267053625_d94b0db211_c.jpg

36429119974_6604079957_c.jpg

I decided to add a tone knob because now that I am using an attenuator some treble is lost and while it can be added back by the attentuator it can sound shrill under some settings. The tone knob sound more natural.

37267060385_b485810c2e_c.jpg

Ok.. I got a bit more done this week..

Both bodies are bound

ymnLMZr.jpg

And one neck is almost done

7cJ6VJv.jpg

And the other one got its fretboard glued today.

zdZgZBy.jpg

AvfTtt8.jpg

kEhkqvV.jpg

Hopefully I will get that first neck and body glued tomorrow which is always a good day :) (if I get time [rolleyes] )

Ok.. I got a bit more done this week..

Both bodies are bound

ymnLMZr.jpg

And one neck is almost done

7cJ6VJv.jpg

And the other one got its fretboard glued today.

zdZgZBy.jpg

AvfTtt8.jpg

kEhkqvV.jpg

Hopefully I will get that first neck and body glued tomorrow which is always a good day :) (if I get time [rolleyes] )

Glad you decided to go with a carve with the Walnut and not put a cap on it. The Walnut by itself will finish out real nice I think. I know you normally go with just oil so the natural grain and color of the wood comes out, and I am a strong supporter of that, but I might recommend a little stain on the Walnut to make it somewhat darker brown. I think with the neck inlays you did, it would really stand out. But of course since I'm not custom ordering it, you must do what you are most comfortable with.

Glad you decided to go with a carve with the Walnut and not put a cap on it. The Walnut by itself will finish out real nice I think. I know you normally go with just oil so the natural grain and color of the wood comes out, and I am a strong supporter of that, but I might recommend a little stain on the Walnut to make it somewhat darker brown. I think with the neck inlays you did, it would really stand out. But of course since I'm not custom ordering it, you must do what you are most comfortable with.

I would agree with you but ive seen what this wood looks like with finish... Im not sure I want to mess with that :) What I may do though is put some ebony sawdust on the top and rub it in to the grain... that can look really cool.. I will see what happens when I do it ;)

Theres a guy on another forum who made a guitar with the same batch of wood.. Check this

dv6rxmE.jpg

And then I wet the wood slightly to get an idea...

FGW9Ax5.jpg

Ok.. For those still interested...

Second neck is almost done. Shaped the fretboard to the correct dimensions (43mm - 56mm and 12" radius if you are interested).

yzUUn7Y.jpg

Frets and side dots on

D2yZllO.jpg

Then I need to cover the fret slot holes left on the side

So I rub rosewood sawdust in

7mink2w.jpg

A dab of super glue on top

9wImE3F.jpg

And sand it back down. Sorted :)

4ByEQFg.jpg

helLo4b.jpg

G1UDK9j.jpg

Also rounded the back over

yCi7hFh.jpg

So here we are.. Two bodies and necks ready to join for life ;)

PMcsYvI.jpg

More soon.

[thumbup]

Rubbing the rosewood sawdust in....the extra mile...IMO looks excellent.

Well its always worth doing in my book. But in this case I had gone a little bit saw happy when I was cleaning the slots out and deepening them slightly just before I fretted it.. And if you see the pic where I put the side dots on, the holes are a bit big and a player would feel those holes so it has to be done :) (and its a relatively quick process too).

But I appreciate the comment anyway :)

Also these frets came pre radius'd and they were de-tanged at the ends (the tang is the bit that goes in to the fret slot)... You would absolutely need to use de-tanged frets for a neck with binding... But if I had used normal fretwire the tang goes right to the end so the holes would normally be much smaller.