Gibson Brands Forums

2003 Elite J45

Corsair

I have a 2003 Epi Elite J45 which according to the Elite catalog was only available in Sunburst or Natural. Mine seems to be neither and looks more like the Vintage Amber on the 1964 Texan. They wouldn't make a one off would they? Any feedback welcome.post-22130-024086300 1500101700_thumb.jpg

Yes, as OC mentioned, that would be the natural top version - even if some toner was used to create a more amber hue.

Of note is the fact that in the following year, Epiphone changed a few of the specs on this model. In 2004 when the name had to be changed to the "Elitist" line, the J-45 model began sporting a Masterbilt-type non-symmetrical headstock with the "pencil" inlay. So your first Elite version is going to be rather limited in production numbers.

In case you are not already aware of this, the acoustic Elite & Elitist models were made in Japan by Terada, and their build quality is absolutely first rate. I have three Terada made Epis, including a McCartney '64 Texan, built in 2005 for McCartney's Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser. This limited run version did indeed have a darkened top, but it was still considered a replica of the original 1964 natural-finish version.

At any rate, congrats on a nice guitar!

Archived