Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j35 ?

blindboygrunt

A non-pang-coloured short scaled maple square for gigs - exactly what EA was after, isn't it. Never mind, he's in Dove-land.

I kind of like it, but used my quota for black acoustics (it wasn't big and contains a sound-hole-less Yairi for the rock-stage).

This one, , , mmmmm, , , from when Gibson wasn't really Gibson. The dark ages of the 80's. Pass

I have an '87 J-35 SORS (symbiotic oriented receptor system Gibson's pickup system at the time) and the same system as this one. Take a look at the saddle with the notch out of the bridge north of the E string. The saddle has a plastic fitting it is glued in to with a gold foil bottom. Odd system it is and the knobs are a bit obtrusive. Mine is mahogany/spruce and as good as any Gibson I have ever played. These Nashville built ones are fine guitars. They are not double x braced tops. Some have humidity related issues and part of the reason Gibson sent the acoustic division to Bozeman I guess. They do have the paddle or double dovetail neck joint. At least mine does. Mine is in reset territory and I will be tackling it this winter.

I spied this and was tempted, but my Maple square stable is occupied by the Dove.

I was mainly intrigued for two reasons, firstly because I like "underdog" guitars and secondly because of the SORS pickup, the same as Townes' J200 had.

The SORS works OK. And a lot of the Nashville guitars sound good. Humidity issues are not uncommon, but considering lapsed time since they were produced, many of those (neck resets, open top seams, top cracks) have been addressed by previous owners. No XX bracing, to my knowledge. If I needed a guitar and had the chance to hear one of those before purchase, it wouldn't scare me.

Archived