Gibson Brands Forums

Red Rocks outside Denver

MorrisrownSal

I have wanted to see a show at Red Rocks for years. Finally my kids are older and I have more time. I am heading to see Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit on September 7th. I'm very pumped. Any of you seen shows there?

I've seen a show at ACL. At the Beacon as well. I want to see Red Rocks. And I want to eventually visit Nashville.

Ps, if you are bored find the Lyle Lovett Red Rocks rehearsal video of Friend of the Devil.

Nashville is down the road, but I haven't been out West for Years, never been to Red Rocks.

I'm going to take my wife to Oregon someday, I was out there when I was about 10 and HAVE to go see it again.

David Crosby's favorite place to play. Neil Young, CSNY, Jackson Browne etc etc, been many times. Huge rock amphitheater. Great venue. I am three hours away - love to meet you there depending on a pending commitment that will take me out of state. you will love it.

Until moving 6 years ago I lived just 10 minutes from Red Rocks for almost 30 years. I've seen lots of great shows there including Springsteen's first outdoor performance (Darkness tour), but I'd love to see Jason Isbell there. You're going to love it. Pure magic.

Ive always had a fascination with Red Rocks since seeing U2's video back in the 80's . Must be a superb setting for a concert.

btw: at the end of September Im goin to be in Orlando for 6 days (work) and then NYC for 5 dats (fun) ... anybody from that neck of the woods that would like to catch up if time allows ?

cheers,

EA

Red Rocks.....Never seen a show played but been there. "Far Out!!!" Sounds kinda crazy but the place was totally open to the public when I was back in Denver for a wedding- mid 90s. Walked down to the stage and even played some "air guitar" so I could say that I performed at RR. People milling all over the place...doubt it is like this now. Enjoy the show!!! If only I could have seen Rush perform there.....

PS Madison Square Garden ain't nuthin...

??? It's something ....

my first concert ever was Sly and the family stone in the early 70's @ MSG

I was still in high school ( 9th, 10th grade ) , and didnt know what pot smelled like 'til this concert

I'm currently reading " Searching for the sound " my life w/ the Grateful Dead " by Phil

Lesh

and he talks about the Garden being suspended by huge cables, above Penn Station, and how it bounces up and down.... cool stuff [thumbup]

1500514492[/url]' post='1869669']

??? It's something ....

my first concert ever was Sly and the family stone in the early 70's @ MSG

I was still in high school ( 9th, 10th grade ) , and didnt know what pot smelled like 'til this concert

I'm currently reading " Searching for the sound " my life w/ the Grateful Dead " by Phil

Lesh

and he talks about the Garden being suspended by huge cables, above Penn Station, and how it bounces up and down.... cool stuff [thumbup]

I guess I mean... indoors... not pretty... and bad sound. I've seen maybe ten shows there, including the Dead with Jerry, and John Mayer and others over the years. It's muddled.

I would love to also see a show at the Hollywood Bowl. I have vinyl of chuck Mangione live there... amazing.

• 1 month later...

When you go, if you can go the day before or after the show and have lunch there and check out the place with out all the people. There will still be a few doing excersizes running etc. Also you can go on stage and all through the venue. There are also trails you can walk. Neat place. I also like Morrison.

It was incredible. The venue and the acoustics/natural beauty is something I hope you all experience.

Amanda Shires opened (his wife). Loved it.

Then cam a British Dude - Frank Turner. He played a few Gibsons, but frankly it didnt matter what he played. Every single song of his sounded exactly the same. Chord thrashing marriage of Green Day and Matchbox 20. Meh.

Then came Jason and the 400 unit. Great show.

fiOqgEEl.jpg

8PM4T8Nl.jpg

dCkuLUbl.jpg

XE7KB1gl.jpg

bsupRtWl.jpg

Was out of state taking care of aged parents (90 and 100) and could not arrange a visit, so sorry I missed doing that, but glad you hit the venue. Really is something. The last picture looks like you took it from the stage ??? oh, and BTW, how do you post pics now that PhotoBucket has gone $$$ ?

Hey Dan. Hope your folks are ok. I use IMGUR for picture posting now. I was 8 rows back... that photo from the stage is when Amanda Shires took a picture of the crowd from the stage and tweeted it... I went on twitter - followed her - and saved the picture.. I aint no VIP to be hangin with the cool peeps on stage :)

Archived