Gibson Brands Forums

High tailpiece and wrong neck angle?

sbpark

I'm just returning the gobs of stuff I get from you acoustic mavens that I read a lot of. Thanks right back!

rct

Yep, pretty much came to the conclusion that all of these preferences and opinions are just that...preferences and opinions and there's nothing wrong with the guitar fro a manufacturing/ fit and finish perspective. Some like things one way, others seem to have VERY strong opinions about what they hypothesize is the right way and is the ONLY right way with no real proof to substantiate it, even though they seem very passionate that their way is the only way. Personally, I'll side with those who say I've been doing it this way for 30 years and have had no ill-effects. That works for me. Simple and to the point!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, pretty much came to the conclusion that all of these preferences and opinions are just that...preferences and opinions and there's nothing wrong with the guitar fro a manufacturing/ fit and finish perspective. Some like things one way, others seem to have VERY strong opinions about what they hypothesize is the right way and is the ONLY right way with no real proof to substantiate it, even though they seem very passionate that their way is the only way. Personally, I'll side with those who say I've been doing it this way for 30 years and have had no ill-effects. That works for me. Simple and to the point!

Good deal.

And to be fair, I prolly did come on a little strong to Mr. Golden in front of everyone in the room, so I'll apologize for coming on too strong, Mr. Golden, in front of everyone in the room. It's only guitars, no need to go gettin all jiggy and such.

rct

Oh I didnt expect an apology rct, but a thank you I suppose is in order, so Thank You, Mr is not required, I see you can also be quite a charming individual when you want to be..

Nevertheless imo the thread very quickly addressed the often asked questions with the set neck angle and other related issues inherent to the history of it, thats a good thing. Same questions usually comes up quite naturally and in a short read anyone can read further, add, elaborate, ask questions, whatever, just go play. I look forward to simply adding the thread when the same question comes up in relation to the same point. Imo it simply places a good deal of information to the often asked and rightly so questions and inquiry into perceived issues in a short read. All good, have a great day and thanks again!

as a spectator, and one who considers RCT a pal, and btw I "get" his take on things and usually find that I agree with him, I found this a very entertaining read! I'm glad it ended amicably, we're all more or less, slices off the same loaf of bread here.

• 5 months later...

I see you have no point still in comparing expertise, the point is as I said in fact neck angle is in relation to bridge and stop-tail height. Are you contending otherwise or elaborating on that point since imho your expertise goes out the window here without elaboration. However I would much prefer moving on to the illusive break angle logic. I dont see much forthcoming with the neck angle. Thanks

Your posts are virtually incomprehensible, and your excessive use of quotation marks is annoying. Perhaps running quick edits on what you've written before posting would be helpful, you know, reading through the post and asking yourself how it will read to others. Your syntax needs a lot of work as well. Good luck.

Doesnt matter who you are talking to I'm talking clearly to you, politely and directly, and yes I noticed the name calling and the indirect passive aggressive behavior I guess since you have nothing else to contribute or discuss thats the expert distinction where you now become more direct to what end? Please dont call me anything other than whats desired. Its childish.

No, you're not talking clearly to anyone, let alone rct. Whatever points you may have made are lost in your snarky tone and condescension towards others. Please, enroll in a good remedial English class and learn how to write, learn grammar and syntax and everything else that will enable you to compose a comprehensible sentence. Reading your posts induces pain.

No, you're not talking clearly to anyone, let alone rct. Whatever points you may have made are lost in your snarky tone and condescension towards others. Please, enroll in a good remedial English class and learn how to write, learn grammar and syntax and everything else that will enable you to compose a comprehensible sentence. Reading your posts induces pain.

A lowbrow 'tude is one way to go... :rolleyes:

The guy's problem isn't his English, it's his attitude. And that's your problem too.

Guest Farnsbarns

Your posts are virtually incomprehensible, and your excessive use of quotation marks is annoying. Perhaps running quick edits on what you've written before posting would be helpful, you know, reading through the post and asking yourself how it will read to others. Your syntax needs a lot of work as well. Good luck.

I'm curious. Why have you resurrected an old thread to pick holes in the grammar?

And you're in no position to be commenting on the grammar of others, just so you're aware.

I'm up for another one of these....I mean all I do is watch from the sidelines and get bent out of shape, which I was going to do on New Years anyway.

A great, informative read with a bit of the old riposte here and there.....

HNY to one and all [thumbup]

Well "this guy" is right here lol. did you want to discuss "high tailpiece and wrong neck angle" AGAIN, or just troll when you dont hear what you desire?

The conversation aside from the peanut gallery nonsense is exactly where those capable of dialogue left it. Did someone desire to add something relevant? No right?

Thanks

From experience, the only time I don’t want to deal with the string touching the TOM is when it prematurely wears the string at the point of contact and consequently it breaks at that spot on the string. This is why I raise the tailpiece. But I don’t care if YOU like to have the string touch or not or just plain old don’t care... and if you raise the tail, strings get “slinkier”. Again, I won’t care if you like it or not. I have raised it, lowered it, can’t tell the difference personally. I never knew this was such an issue with others...

Its not but it is an interesting conversation and more important, informative to those who as you suggest may have such an issue lol. I prefer them not to touch but the truth is I have one right here today Im playing where the high E does touch . Sometime the intonation requires the high E saddle to move all the way foward or close enough to change the angle over the TOM bridge....thus you see players with one side higher or both and so forth.

Anyway happy new year. To me its no big deal, but then again that depends on what I spend on it and how I want it- I dont really give a **** what others think either since im buying it not them.

This time it will be titled Why Nirvana sucks.

Bad songwriting and guitar playing. Others did their type of stuff way before them, but didn't have Geffen backing them. Which was a strange choice of label to sign to if you didn't want to be a big band.

Plus Cobain shat on the metal fans who financed his heroin addiction, and generally came off as a ******.

Plus, unless I'm mistaken, a good portion of his lyrics were just made up gibberish, and if "a mosquito / my libido" is "the voice of a generation", that generation must suck something fierce. And it did. And it does.

How's that?

Plus, unless I'm mistaken, a good portion of his lyrics were just made up gibberish

You are mistaken.

How about early REM? Lots of made up lyrics

BTW one mans's gibberish is another man's poetry

Actually, I remember reading an interview where he said he would just make up gibberish for parts of the material.

I could remember wrong, but I don't think so.

Oh good grief, let's not get into remembering stuff about Nirvana again. I was a liar the last time I remembered stuff about a Nirvana concert! If you remember wrong, you're a liar, remember? [flapper]

Can we diverge and talk about Zappa again?

• 10 months later...

I'm no expert, but if it works for you then it works for you.

A friend gave me his LP to look at once because he couldn't get it to play; long story short, the bridge had bent in the middle due to the 10s pressing down hard on the back of the bridge - there was no way to set this guitar up properly without replacing the curved bridge with a new one. I always take care not to have the strings touching the back of the bridge - not saying it's right or wrong, just saying that I've seen a bridge bent as a result of it (the owner reckoned he'd had the guitar in storage for a few years with those strings pressing down on the back of the bridge).

Personally, I put a similar angle on the bridge-to-strings as the nut-to-strings, and move the bridge tail up or down accordingly. Every guitar is different, and sometimes the bridge and/or tail are up and sometimes down and sometimes top-wrapped, sometimes not; I don't much care as long as the guitar plays easily with no buzzing and every fret rings clean.

the bridge had bent in the middle due to the 10s pressing down hard on the back of the bridge - there was no way to set this guitar up properly without replacing the curved bridge with a new one. I always take care not to have the strings touching the back of the bridge - not saying it's right or wrong, just saying that I've seen a bridge bent as a result of it (the owner reckoned he'd had the guitar in storage for a few years

It was the few years of storage under full tune tension with the old bridge that bent it as this is common for the old soft bridges.

You can stand on a bathroom scale on one foot does not make you lighter than standing on two feet.

Well thanks to this thread being brought back from the grave it got me to thinking and I gave my firebird a test around the tail piece height opinion and have come to these conclusions

Okay so I have had this firebird of mine for over a year and a half. It is the 2017 firebird T.

I loved everything about this guitar except for how it played. I thought it flat out sucked compared to my other guitars. I always had to have the strings way higher and a larger set of strings on it.

Back in the days before the internet on my les paul, the tail piece was always lowered to the body. I never knew any better. I got a couple of SG standards and I read somewhere online that you can adjust the height of the tail piece and it would make the strings a little spongier and loosen up the action a bit. I guess I messed with that some too. On this firebird that I purchased new from sweetwater, the tail piece was about 3/16" off of the body and supposedly was a standard set up from gibson. I thought it looked weird until I saw one of my buddies new SG guitar he purchased and his was way up in the air.

I did not think much more about it until I took some time and read through some of your replies and opinions here on this thread.

So I took and fooled around with this thing every month or so trying to get the freaking strings to stop buzzing the frets so bad. Finally the other day, I stripped it down and pulled out my fret rocker and went after a few frets that seemed to be troublesome. I restrung it and adjusted everything and it was slightly better but not enough to really make that much of a difference.

Today I took and screwed the tail piece down to about 1/16" from bottom and also I lowered the pick up height some too for less magnetic pull as well. Not that the pick ups were too high to begin with but just as a precautionary thing. Then I tuned it up and man what a difference. I am not worried about the strings touching the rear of the bridge or any of that stuff. It just seems way better to me and I know it is not my head making this up. Way less fret buzz and I went against everything I have read the past few years about the tail piece thing and went back to what worked for me in the past. Now I am back with 9 gauge strings instead of the 10 gauge too.

I guess maybe it can help some guitars in some cases if the tail piece is off of the body higher but this has really made my firebird come around for the better. I was even to the point of selling it because it just would not come around. I have several other guitars that I play more regularly because the firebird and I were not getting along well.

So at the 12th fret the bass side E string height is .060 and the treble E about .055

With a capo at the 1st fret while holding down the 17th fret the neck relief at the 7th fret is .020 measured to the bottom of the bass E string from the top of the fret.

I like my strings as low as I can go with the ability to do double stops and whole pitch bends without fretting out.

It may seem to low to some of you but it really does play like I want it too now and I did it out of frustration because I thought the higher the tail piece was the easier to bend and all of that. Well it may be true but I think it also makes the strings vibrate too much at least on mine it seemed so and caused excessive fret buzz too.

Anyways probably boring to some of you but I am kind of a cry baby gear head when it comes to my own set ups a bit when I cannot get my own guitar to play like I want it too.

Archived