Gibson Brands Forums

Differences between 2014 & 2016 Gibson ES Les Pauls

Larsongs

I'm looking at Gibson ES Les Pauls. I've found 2 new ones. One is a 2014 Black Top the other is a 2016 Black Top.

The Specs appear to be the same. But, the price on the 2014 is significantly less. Again, both are new.

Is there anything different be tween those 2 Guitar's? Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the 2014 as opposed to the 2016?

Thanks,

Lars

Not much info available on the Gibson site. The only ES LP shown from 2014 on their site is a LP Supreme which had a floating mini-humbucker at the neck and a 492T at the bridge. Mahogany back, but with maple veneer on it, and maple top.

The only one shown for 2016 is a Alex Lifeson which is maple/poplar/maple all around.

I don't think either one of those is what you are looking at.

Quite a few of them for sale on Reverb and American Music Supply, even a Black Beauty with 3 pickups at AMS. I guess you just have to look at the specs of each one and see what you think will work for you. I don't see any major differences though between '14, '15, or '16.

According to Gibson both have MHS Pickups. Gibson Rep checked but info he gave me was more his than from a Spec Sheet.

You know the old saying, when it seems to good to be true it usually is? That's where I'm at. Hoping for some advice from the Gibson Guru's.

Thanks,

Lars

The 2014 differs from the 15 here in apparent detail to a 14.

Features:

- F-Hole emblem engraved truss rod cover: The iconic symbol of the Gibson ES line is now the hallmark of Gibson Memphis.

- Redesigned neck dimensions: Added thickness to Peghead transition provides greater strength and stability.

- Improved neck adjustability and tension resilience

- Historic truss rod: Superior Adjustability due to the Teflon coating, larger diameter rod, original brass anchor and larger washer.

- Bone nut: Bone for smooth tuning and excellent durability.

- Rolled neck binding: Binding is rounded off to comfortably fit the contours of the player's hand.

- Low profile frets: Lower fret height provides smooth playability and accurate intonation.

- New finish colors: New variations on your favorite vintage color schemes as well as all new, eye catching colors.

- Capacitor changes: Less treble cut than previous capacitor results in a tone with a harmonically rich, singing quality.

- Neck pickup capacitor changed from .022mF to .015mF (less treble cut than previous capacitor resulting in a harmonically rich tone with a singing quality)

Here it is here, the Ebony is going a few hundred less-1700 or so and these around 1800-2000....

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBESLP15?siid=204271&-8mO1QIVSSOBCh3trgk-EAQYAyABEgLuh_D_BwE=

Heres the 16 same structure, and the TR cover is plain.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBESLP16?siid=206516&-8mO1QIVSSOBCh3trgk-EAQYASABEgIj0fD_BwE=

Heres one in Ebony to confirm what Im saying........

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/msg/d/gibson-es-les-paul/6164531730.html

Again they are a very nice offering from Memphis and well constructed and sound great. Im not sure what the concern is?

And in 15 Gibson built a ES-Les Paul studio verion with different pick-ups 57-57+ no binding.

The original listing for the 14....

Gibson ES Les Paul Electric Guitar

Featuring a Les Paul body with F-holes, the ES guitar has a AAA Figured maple arched top finished in Heritage Burst. The body is weight relieved for long hours of playability. All lightweight materials and modified 1959 Profile one-piece mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays, spruce top bracing and a lightweight Stop Bar Tailpiece with long anchors and studs. The MHS unpotted humbuckers (Alnico III Neck, Alnico II Bridge) produce that familiar Les Paul tone. 100% made in Memphis TN and includes a hardshell case.

Features:

- 100% American made, in Memphis, TN.

- Weight relieved Mahogany Centerblock

- Vintage style Dark Walnut stained back and rim

- All lightweight materials and modified 1959 Profile one-piece Mahogany neck

- Rosewood fingerboard with Trapezoid Inlays

- Spruce top bracing

- Lightweight Stop Bar Tailpiece with long anchors and studs

- Tone Pros AVR2 Bridge

- MHS Unpotted Humbuckers Alnico III Neck, Alnico II Bridge

- Tulip button Klusons

- Tone-Pro Long Anchor and Tailpiece Stud

- Hardshell Case

- Body Type: Semi-Hollow Les Paul

- Top: 3-ply Maple/Basswood/Maple

- Back: 3-ply Maple/Basswood/Maple

- Binding: Cream colored ABS on top and back

- Neck: Mahogany Neck with Maple Spline

- Truss Rod: Traditional

- Neck Joint: Mortise & Tenon

- Neck: Hand-selected Dark Rosewood

- Radius: 12"

- Pickup: Neck Position - MHS

- Bridge Position - MHS

- Binding: Cream

- Inlays: Pearloid Trapezoid

- Nut/E.O.B: 1.670" / 2.060"

- Nut Material: Corian

- Width: 1.670"

- Slots: Gibson PLEK System

- Logo: Mother of Pearl 'Gibson' Logo

- Inlay: Gold "Les Paul Model" Water Slide Decal

- Truss Rod Cover: Legacy

- Tuners: Kluson Single Ring with Tulip Buttons

- Tuning Ratio: 15:1

- Plating: Nickel

- Bridge: Nickel ABR

- Tailpiece: Aluminum with Nickel plating

- Knobs: Gold Top Hats

- Pickguard: Cream

- Pickup Mounting Rings: Cream

- Strings: .010 - .046

- Strap Buttons: Aluminum End Pins

- Potentiometers: 2 Volume Controls 500K

- 2 Tone Controls 500K

- Capacitors: Ceramic

- Switch: Three-Way Switchcraft

- Output Jack: 1/4"

- Case: Hardshell

- Case Exterior: Brown Leatherette

- Case Interior: Plush Pink

Heres Gibsons web sight 2016 with the Ebony model

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/ES-Les-Paul.aspx

[confused] There are differences as you see but as to warrant major difference in price between a 14, 15, or 16 I don't see that much difference. That said, I like the C neck they just came out with and the 59 on the 14 is nice also, I haven't played the 15 neck. Bone nut difference. Condition in consideration, few points, its subjective the 14 may still be a better player.

The 2014 differs from the 15 here in apparent detail to a 14.

Features:

- F-Hole emblem engraved truss rod cover: The iconic symbol of the Gibson ES line is now the hallmark of Gibson Memphis.

- Redesigned neck dimensions: Added thickness to Peghead transition provides greater strength and stability.

- Improved neck adjustability and tension resilience

- Historic truss rod: Superior Adjustability due to the Teflon coating, larger diameter rod, original brass anchor and larger washer.

- Bone nut: Bone for smooth tuning and excellent durability.

- Rolled neck binding: Binding is rounded off to comfortably fit the contours of the player's hand.

- Low profile frets: Lower fret height provides smooth playability and accurate intonation.

- New finish colors: New variations on your favorite vintage color schemes as well as all new, eye catching colors.

- Capacitor changes: Less treble cut than previous capacitor results in a tone with a harmonically rich, singing quality.

- Neck pickup capacitor changed from .022mF to .015mF (less treble cut than previous capacitor resulting in a harmonically rich tone with a singing quality)

Here it is here, the Ebony is going a few hundred less-1700 or so and these around 1800-2000....

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBESLP15?siid=204271&-8mO1QIVSSOBCh3trgk-EAQYAyABEgLuh_D_BwE=

Heres the 16 same structure, and the TR cover is plain.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBESLP16?siid=206516&-8mO1QIVSSOBCh3trgk-EAQYASABEgIj0fD_BwE=

Heres one in Ebony to confirm what Im saying........

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/msg/d/gibson-es-les-paul/6164531730.html

Again they are a very nice offering from Memphis and well constructed and sound great. Im not sure what the concern is?

And in 15 Gibson built a ES-Les Paul studio verion with different pick-ups 57-57+ no binding.

The original listing for the 14....

Gibson ES Les Paul Electric Guitar

Featuring a Les Paul body with F-holes, the ES guitar has a AAA Figured maple arched top finished in Heritage Burst. The body is weight relieved for long hours of playability. All lightweight materials and modified 1959 Profile one-piece mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays, spruce top bracing and a lightweight Stop Bar Tailpiece with long anchors and studs. The MHS unpotted humbuckers (Alnico III Neck, Alnico II Bridge) produce that familiar Les Paul tone. 100% made in Memphis TN and includes a hardshell case.

Features:

- 100% American made, in Memphis, TN.

- Weight relieved Mahogany Centerblock

- Vintage style Dark Walnut stained back and rim

- All lightweight materials and modified 1959 Profile one-piece Mahogany neck

- Rosewood fingerboard with Trapezoid Inlays

- Spruce top bracing

- Lightweight Stop Bar Tailpiece with long anchors and studs

- Tone Pros AVR2 Bridge

- MHS Unpotted Humbuckers Alnico III Neck, Alnico II Bridge

- Tulip button Klusons

- Tone-Pro Long Anchor and Tailpiece Stud

- Hardshell Case

- Body Type: Semi-Hollow Les Paul

- Top: 3-ply Maple/Basswood/Maple

- Back: 3-ply Maple/Basswood/Maple

- Binding: Cream colored ABS on top and back

- Neck: Mahogany Neck with Maple Spline

- Truss Rod: Traditional

- Neck Joint: Mortise & Tenon

- Neck: Hand-selected Dark Rosewood

- Radius: 12"

- Pickup: Neck Position - MHS

- Bridge Position - MHS

- Binding: Cream

- Inlays: Pearloid Trapezoid

- Nut/E.O.B: 1.670" / 2.060"

- Nut Material: Corian

- Width: 1.670"

- Slots: Gibson PLEK System

- Logo: Mother of Pearl 'Gibson' Logo

- Inlay: Gold "Les Paul Model" Water Slide Decal

- Truss Rod Cover: Legacy

- Tuners: Kluson Single Ring with Tulip Buttons

- Tuning Ratio: 15:1

- Plating: Nickel

- Bridge: Nickel ABR

- Tailpiece: Aluminum with Nickel plating

- Knobs: Gold Top Hats

- Pickguard: Cream

- Pickup Mounting Rings: Cream

- Strings: .010 - .046

- Strap Buttons: Aluminum End Pins

- Potentiometers: 2 Volume Controls 500K

- 2 Tone Controls 500K

- Capacitors: Ceramic

- Switch: Three-Way Switchcraft

- Output Jack: 1/4"

- Case: Hardshell

- Case Exterior: Brown Leatherette

- Case Interior: Plush Pink

Heres Gibsons web sight 2016 with the Ebony model

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/ES-Les-Paul.aspx

[confused] There are differences as you see but as to warrant major difference in price between a 14, 15, or 16 I don't see that much difference. That said, I like the C neck they just came out with and the 59 on the 14 is nice also, I haven't played the 15 neck. Bone nut difference. Condition in consideration, few points, its subjective the 14 may still be a better player.

The 2014 is brand new NOS. Still in the Box. Thanks for all the details.

I'm also considering a new 2016 VOS 3 Pickup ES Les Paul Black Beauty w/Bigsby & all Gold Trim. Beautiful but significantly more $$$$$

Thanks for all the info,

Lars

Good luck in your search. [thumbup]

I pulled the trigger on a new Gibson Black Top ES Les Paul from Sweetwater. Their In House Shop is adding a B7 Bigsby to it & doing the Set up.

Thanks,

Lars

I pulled the trigger on a new Gibson Black Top ES Les Paul from Sweetwater. Their In House Shop is adding a B7 Bigsby to it & doing the Set up.

Thanks,

Lars

Sweetwater is excellent to purchase from, now the wait. :) I think the ES is a great choice, I find the ES-LP just a pleasure to play I have been playing my 14 for a couple years and its quite a good playing feeling and sounding electric. Between a LP and the ES theres a difference as there is with any Gibson ES and LP. But that said its a close offering with a nice twist to the manufacturing with feel tone and looks.

The biggest difference I notice between 14 and 16 is the C-shape neck. Both are nice but the C-shape simply fits me better than any Gibson neck profile I have played, so I know this is very subjective, another pet peeve of mine has always been weight since I started out playing a 14 lb Gretsch live as a youth which changed my thinking a long time ago with weight, I dont think any ES-LP weights 7 lbs most are high 5 to mid 6. That is the major noticable difference in 14 and 16 to me which I feel and notice, the 59 is close and this same point is also true on my LPs as with the ES. Same difference with the necks. The difference between the years may be as little as that to a player.

Good luck let us know how you like it when its arrives.

Sweetwater is excellent to purchase from, now the wait. :) I think the ES is a great choice, I find the ES-LP just a pleasure to play I have been playing my 14 for a couple years and its quite a good playing feeling and sounding electric. Between a LP and the ES theres a difference as there is with any Gibson ES and LP. But that said its a close offering with a nice twist to the manufacturing with feel tone and looks.

The biggest difference I notice between 14 and 16 is the C-shape neck. Both are nice but the C-shape simply fits me better than any Gibson neck profile I have played, so I know this is very subjective, another pet peeve of mine has always been weight since I started out playing a 14 lb Gretsch live as a youth which changed my thinking a long time ago with weight, I dont think any ES-LP weights 7 lbs most are high 5 to mid 6. That is the major noticable difference in 14 and 16 to me which I feel and notice, the 59 is close and this same point is also true on my LPs as with the ES. Same difference with the necks. The difference between the years may be as little as that to a player.

Good luck let us know how you like it when its arrives.

Weight has become a big deal to me too. Playing long periods with heavy Guitars doesn't work for me anymore. This new one weighs 5lbs. 13oz. With a B7 Bigsby it should still be between 6 1/2 - 7lbs. I may sell my near mint '90's Gibson LP Std Plus & or my like new mint 2013 Gibson ES335. Not sure yet? Will definitely post an NGD!

Thanks to all for the advice,

Lars

Weight has become a big deal to me too. Playing long periods with heavy Guitars doesn't work for me anymore. This new one weighs 5lbs. 13oz. With a B7 Bigsby it should still be between 6 1/2 - 7lbs. I may sell my near mint '90's Gibson LP Std Plus & or my like new mint 2013 Gibson ES335. Not sure yet? Will definitely post an NGD!

Thanks to all for the advice,

Lars

Sounds familiar, A-B them all and see what you think since a few differences will come up but the difference really becomes now buying the ES-LP and having two semi hollows. I dont know, you know here you'll hear various takes on the 335 and LP comparison but I like both. May be reduced to as much as weight and confort in body size more than tone etc. I like both but I do prefer the smaller bodies and with the semi also. So I would more than likely be inclined to think one of each solid-semi like you.

Alright Lars - congrats. Sweetwater is great to deal with so I'm sure your guitar will arrive in wonderful condition and well set up.

Make sure to post up some pics when it arrives. [thumbup]

Oh for sure I will! Other than Photobucket who are you guys using!

Thanks,

Lars

I think most have gone to Imgur. I tried to sign up with them today, but must have messed up assigning myself a username and password as I couldn't get it done. Will try again.

I'll check it out.

My new Black Top Gibson ES Les Paul with Bigsby is enroute will be here on July 26!

Archived