Gibson Brands Forums

I Knew If I Hung Around Long Enough Something Like This Would Happen

zombywoof

Interestingly there has been a ton of discussion about LG-2 here lately. As it turns out I have also been on a bit of an LG-2 marathon. Over the past months I have gotten my hands on several. I own a 1946 LG-2. I decided to throw it in the ring against a few others. The "competition" consisted of a 1947 LG-2, a 1951 CF-100 and a 1957 CF-100E. As a starting point my '46 had a clear advantage because of its 1 3/4" nut. With regard to sound, all four had nice mid-range punch, put out a lot of volume and had a quick attack. Both the CF-100s were a bit brighter sounding than the LG-2s, the '51 in particular. But when the smoke cleared, I liked the "baby" of the group - the '57 CF-100E the best. It had a more clearly defined bass and a near archtop-quick response. Main difference between this guitar and the others is, not counting the P-90 and the cutaway and bling, the soundhole is placed closer to the bridge (to accommodate the pickup) and it, of course, does not have scalloped bracing. The bracing in the '57, is, as best as I can describe it, shaped like a triangle with the peak flattened. My impression is, it is actually lighter than the scallop bracing.

Anyway, what was a poor boy to do. I bit the bullet and the '57 CF-100E is now residing with me.

First of all, congratulations! I am not familiar with that model so I googled it. I completely missed that model. I've never seen one of those before. Just out of curiosity, why did you buy it?

Because it looks so darn sexy!

They are out there but the entire production run for the P-90 fired version was less than 1300 guitars over 8 years. They were a fairly radical design for Gibson and apparently did not sell so Gibson pulled the plug on them in 1959. Great build quality. Strangely the guitar retains the fabric side supports which Gibson stopped using around 1950.

I started out on this with no thought of buying anything. I was just curious. I strung each of the guitars up and played the same songs on each - Blind Blake's "West Coast Blues," Scrapper Blackwell's "Goin' Where the Monan Crosses the Yellow Dog," and Dave Van Ronk's take on "Cocaine Blues." I just walked away feeling the '57 was perfect for the kind of fingerpicked blues and rags that I play. As I said, a nice defined low end, punchy mids, and full and crisp highs with an overall slightly brighter sound than I am used to hearing with LGS.

........Blind Blake's "West Coast Blues," Scrapper Blackwell's "Goin' Where the Monan Crosses the Yellow Dog," and Dave Van Ronk's take on "Cocaine Blues." I just walked away feeling the '57 was perfect for the kind of fingerpicked blues and rags that I play.

Sure like to hear some of that.

Congrats on the CF-100E!

A unique & lovely little package, with the added bonus of my favorite pickup.

Coupled with the right amp, to my ear, nothing beats a good P90!

The ready to rock thing is definitely an advantage. For a long time I plugged my Dearmond 210 fired acoustics into a 1955 Fender Twin. These days it is an early 1960s Standel. Freaky clean sound.

Archived