Gibson Brands Forums

New Masterbilt - DR-400MCE

mz-s

Looks really nice! $400 for an all solid wood Dreadnaught Masterbilt. Looks like a Richlite fingerboard and bridge - I have no idea what Torrefied composite "Blackwood" is but the composite in there makes me think man-made (not a bad thing). Rosewood fingerboards and bridges will likely become a thing of the past for the Asian guitars at these prices with CITES.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Electric/Masterbilt-DR-400MCE.aspx

Sorry for not being clear. I haven't bought this one yet, it's not available yet until September, just announced. I was just bringing it up in the forum since it was just announced and looks interesting.

I am definitely planning on giving one a try when they come out.

And the difference between this and the DR-500MCE is......?

Bob

On the surface seems like the 400 has a newer pickup system (no more barn door), a different fingerboard/bridge (likely something similar to richlite) and is about $250 cheaper. Not sure what else, if anything, is different.

With all the holes in the Masterbilt line, this is what they came up with? Really?! No 000/OM, no L-00, no AJ/slope shouldered dread (without the cutaway), no dread without cutaway, no southern jumbo. Gibson/Epiphone is not investing much in this line. No wonder Eastman, Blueridge, Recording King, ETC are eating their lunch.

With all the holes in the Masterbilt line, this is what they came up with? Really?! No 000/OM, no L-00, no AJ/slope shouldered dread (without the cutaway), no dread without cutaway, no southern jumbo. Gibson/Epiphone is not investing much in this line. No wonder Eastman, Blueridge, Recording King, ETC are eating their lunch.

So true.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

No attempt was made to put anyone down. I own a DR-500MCE that I got back in October of 2013. I enjoy playing it. I hope you enjoy playing your Epiphone whichever model you have. I am unhappy with a company (Gibson/Epiphone) who don't seem to care bout what the customer wants (at least those that buy all-solid wood imports). For example, go to the web page for Blueridge (Saga) guitars or Recording King. See the literally dozens of models. Compare that to Epiphone.

To give them credit, neither Blueridge nor Recording King are marketing electrics too.

Though not in the Masterbilt line, Epi does have a solid top EL-00 Pro in its line (that is awesome) and to my recollection, prior to the Masterbilt line, had an AJ slope solid top guitar circa 2002. The EL-00 Pro is still available (I have one).

Personally, I prefer the way Epiphone does basically a featured model at a time. It's classy. It builds anticipation from a marketing perspective and resale value.

The other brands you mention do not have the history and depth of the Epiphone brand and basically seem to tell Asian manufacturers, "yes, I will have one of each that you make so we can act like a real brand." Epiphone doesn't have to do that, nor should they.

Just my take on the matter.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Is this replacing the DR500 ?

Are the electronics and build more for less ?

Looking at the DR500 & AJ45 but will keep my eye on this if its coming out next month [thumbup]

Don't think it's replacing the DR500 on the lineup. The DR400 looks to have the same electronics in it as the AJ45ME, but I'm not sure. Seems to be a bargain at $400 for a new solid wood dreadnought.

Archived