Gibson Brands Forums

What's your preferred string height on your E strings at the 12th fret?

Stevi q

Hello again. I'm sure you'll get some numbers if you wait a while for responses. Meanwhile, there's a "Kentucky windage" factor to be considered due to variations among different guitars: low enough to play comfortably/high enough not to rattle/somewhere that facilitates decent intonation. There are a number of factors that will influence proper string height (neck relief, string guage, bridge saddle, etc.) that lend complexity to the issue. Your playing style - which combines a few components that vary a great deal from one person to the next - is also a factor.

I'll measure mine when I get home

Mine was recently set up and plays as nice as any guitar I ever played

When I picked it up the guy said he had actually raised it a little which I was amazed at because it plays easier than it did before he got it

He didn't raise it by very much , but I had always assumed that I'd like it as low as possible . Seems that isn't so

Im NOT talking anything about volume here or tone or any of that baloney , I had bought a guitar second hand that I discovered he has done the set up on , so I asked him to repeat that on my j45

Never measured the string height before it went to him

But I'll take a look later for you

Gibson electric specifications are:

1st fret- treble side - 1/64"

1st fret- bass side - 2/64"

12th fret- treble side - 3/64"

12th fret - bass side - 5/64"

Gibson acoustic specifications are:

1st fret- treble side- 1/64"

1st fret- bass side- 2/64"

12th fret - treble side- 5/64"

12th fret- bass side- 7/64"

That being said, my Les Pauls are about the same as those above, maybe a little higher. My '81 V might be a little lower. It's really low. My 2007 V is a little higher, about the same as my Dixon V.

The Squier Strat is a bit higher than the rest, since the frets need dressed and a little neck adjustment is needed, since we're getting a little fret buzz on it.

Generally, I try to get them low but not so low that I can't get a good bend on the string. And, that's just personal preference.

Kinda low actually..

acos:

5~6/64s Low E

3~4/64s High E

VERY little relief

hard to get these exact but that is the ball park I dig with acous.

elec:

3~4/64s Low E

2~3/64s High E

again straight as I can until the lower registers start to buzz.

In both cases, this does require a very even / leveled fret board on these guitars.

My preferred height changes periodically depending on what I get used to, if I am playing through an amp or acoustic, if I playing a smaller or larger guitar, how much acoustic volume is needed, etc. Wish I could provide you with consistent answer regarding my height preference, but as I have been an active player since I was 9 in 1962, it really has changed periodically over the years and continues to do so occasionally still. (One of the reasons I learned way back to do my own setups, saddle carvings/filings, neck adjustments.)

Just my experience.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Hello again. I'm sure you'll get some numbers if you wait a while for responses. Meanwhile, there's a "Kentucky windage" factor to be considered due to variations among different guitars: low enough to play comfortably/high enough not to rattle/somewhere that facilitates decent intonation. There are a number of factors that will influence proper string height (neck relief, string guage, bridge saddle, etc.) that lend complexity to the issue. Your playing style - which combines a few components that vary a great deal from one person to the next - is also a factor.

Thanks again ol cowboy.your sure have a lot of knowledge .If you have a YouTube Chanel I will subscribe immediately.I appreciate it.

I'll measure mine when I get home

Mine was recently set up and plays as nice as any guitar I ever played

When I picked it up the guy said he had actually raised it a little which I was amazed at because it plays easier than it did before he got it

He didn't raise it by very much , but I had always assumed that I'd like it as low as possible . Seems that isn't so

Im NOT talking anything about volume here or tone or any of that baloney , I had bought a guitar second hand that I discovered he has done the set up on , so I asked him to repeat that on my j45

Never measured the string height before it went to him

But I'll take a look later for you

Thanks for looking and posting .I wanna learn these different details ,& share what I have found.Peace & love

0-.005 neck relief

.022-.013 at 1st fret

.06-.04 at 12th fret

These are my targets as long as the guitar hasn't any issues

Thanks for the reply.I like how you graduate the string heights at the 1st fret ,.Some people don't do that .your numbers indicate a lighter touch.I could be wrong ,and that's why I am asking.Peace and love ✌🏼

Gibson electric specifications are:

1st fret- treble side - 1/64"

1st fret- bass side - 2/64"

12th fret- treble side - 3/64"

12th fret - bass side - 5/64"

Gibson acoustic specifications are:

1st fret- treble side- 1/64"

1st fret- bass side- 2/64"

12th fret - treble side- 5/64"

12th fret- bass side- 7/64"

That being said, my Les Pauls are about the same as those above, maybe a little higher. My '81 V might be a little lower. It's really low. My 2007 V is a little higher, about the same as my Dixon V.

The Squier Strat is a bit higher than the rest, since the frets need dressed and a little neck adjustment is needed, since we're getting a little fret buzz on it.

Generally, I try to get them low but not so low that I can't get a good bend on the string. And, that's just personal preference.

Yea I know what you mean about not to low or your fingers may slide over the strings during big bends and such.Your guitars play like butter for sure.very cool man ,thanks for the post.

Eventually found that this is my general go to:

12th fret- treble side - 1.75mm (For conversion, 4.5/64"= around 1.78595mm)

12th fret - bass side - 2.00mm (For conversion 5/64"=1.98mm)

I am similiar on my acoustics. at the 12th fret I am at 5/64 on the high E,& 6/64 on the low e. I have the relief set at .012" on the relie,which seems on the heavier side of most people's relief.I could be wrong.I tend to play heavy with a 1.14 pick.I want to get as much volume before buzzing as possible ,and still stay within that she plays like butter zone.Ghanks for posting I appreciate the info very much .take care. Of them guitars hahaha

Whatever it is on whichever one I'm using at the moment. I've never measured them, I'm sure Luther does when he gets them for a set up every couple years. I don't care what it is.

rct

Kinda low actually..

acos:

5~6/64s Low E

3~4/64s High E

VERY little relief

hard to get these exact but that is the ball park I dig with acous.

elec:

3~4/64s Low E

2~3/64s High E

again straight as I can until the lower registers start to buzz.

In both cases, this does require a very even / leveled fret board on these guitars.

I really dig the name Kidblast,very cool man.thanks for the numbers.I think it's Good for people to know its ok to have a little buzz from a nice low set up that plays like butter.People can confuse a high fret with some buzz when it's just the set up.awesome stuff .peace n love

I really dig the name Kidblast,very cool man.thanks for the numbers.I think it's Good for people to know its ok to have a little buzz from a nice low set up that plays like butter.People can confuse a high fret with some buzz when it's just the set up.awesome stuff .peace n love

Actually I don't have a problem with fret buzz.. I'd bump up a bit or add some relief if I did.

A neck that is back bowed, even a SLIGHT bit will fret out at the low end of the fretboard by the net., a 1/4 turn to lossen usually fixes it right up Usually (imx) anyway,... the consistency of the frets, along with the relief that fits your touch is a big part of the equation.

"I really dig the name Kidblast," a handle I've had for a long time now.. :) (a KID I no longer am.. -- well maybe at heart, but not by age..)

My preferred height changes periodically depending on what I get used to, if I am playing through an amp or acoustic, if I playing a smaller or larger guitar, how much acoustic volume is needed, etc. Wish I could provide you with consistent answer regarding my height preference, but as I have been an active player since I was 9 in 1962, it really has changed periodically over the years and continues to do so occasionally still. (One of the reasons I learned way back to do my own setups, saddle carvings/filings, neck adjustments.)

Just my experience.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

That's a really good point about how much volume is needed,whether you playing a smaller or larger guitar .thru amp or acoustically etc...Theses are all variables that will change the string height for you.Thanks brother,peace and love

Thanks for the reply.I like how you graduate the string heights at the 1st fret ,.Some people don't do that .your numbers indicate a lighter touch.I could be wrong ,and that's why I am asking.Peace and love ✌🏼

The older I get the lower the strings. The setup at the 12th is low and you cannot have any neck or fret issues.

The setup at the 1st is the standard from the factory. Although the Inspection report they include with the guitar will list 22 - 11, they are seldom there. I usually have to work on the nut.

Hi ,All my guitars are set to Gibson Acoustic specs ( or very close ) 7/64 Low E , this can alter slightly according to the weather but I've always found this setup to be perfect for me . My Martin OODB had a Pleck setup in the factory and the action is slightly lower at the nut than the J45 . One important point , I use the capo a lot right up to the 6th fret sometimes, for me too lower action can result in the strings buzzing behind the capo , so for me this is fine

Whatever it is on whichever one I'm using at the moment. I've never measured them, I'm sure Luther does when he gets them for a set up every couple years. I don't care what it is.

rct

That's cool,thanks man

Actually I don't have a problem with fret buzz.. I'd bump up a bit or add some relief if I did.

A neck that is back bowed, even a SLIGHT bit will fret out at the low end of the fretboard by the net., a 1/4 turn to lossen usually fixes it right up Usually (imx) anyway,... the consistency of the frets, along with the relief that fits your touch is a big part of the equation.

"I really dig the name Kidblast," a handle I've had for a long time now.. :) (a KID I no longer am.. -- well maybe at heart, but not by age..)

Thanks man .

Archived